The Ultimate Aircraft

Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this year I had the privilege of watching the shuttle launch from Kennedy Space Centre in Florida. It was an evening launch and the light was amazing, just a shame I was unable to capture it properly lol

I had my camera with me and a rather poor 300mm kit lens. It is impossible to describe the sensation of seeing this but to give you a clue as to the assault on your senses, if you are stood half a mile away from the launch, the flames will kill you. If you are stood 1 mile away the noise will kill you! So here are some pretty poor pics....

1. Launch time, starts with an amazing white light ( I was over 5 miles away)
Tree.jpg

2. Very slowly the shuttle starts to climb and you are now hit with the noise that shakes you to the bone.
Halo.jpg

3. The Shuttle accelerates and you watch as it starts to really speed upwards. The shaft of dark you can see is the shadow the shuttle causes as it reaches the height of the suns rays .
Launch.jpg

4. At 19 miles high and flying at 23,000 MPH, the solid rocket boosters separate and fall to earth. These are recovered and refurbished to use again. In this pic if you look about a third of the way up you can see the shuttle and the 2 booster rockets.
Seperation.jpg

5. The smoke trail this thing leaves is amazing and lasted nearly 30 mins.
Flag.jpg

6. Walking out you get the chance to see some of the older space rockets.
oldrockets.jpg

An amazing evening and I wish I had taken better shots but there you go. Hope you enjoy.

wow! must be a truely amazing experience! i think you've capped it pretty good too

Regardless of the quality of the pics (which i think capture the experience nicely) i've learnt something today. Those facts are amazing!

Thanks (y)

You have described that event well in pictures.

Wow, fantastic!!
I'd LOVE to see a launch you lucky beggar :D

Brilliant shots. Thanks for posting :clap:

Very well caught... I'd love to see one, but I doubt now I'll get to see a shuttle launch. Thanks for posting those.

Back