The universal trigger interface (The little box)

could you multiplex the RF602 channel output to different receivers by addressing the DIL to different channels with the arduino, so have 2 sets of flashes triggered at different times. I want to do something using a strobed flash while the shutter is open and a larger second curtain flash to complete the image, you could them do this with 2 differently positioned flashes on rf receivers.

could you multiplex the RF602 channel output to different receivers by addressing the DIL to different channels with the arduino, so have 2 sets of flashes triggered at different times. I want to do something using a strobed flash while the shutter is open and a larger second curtain flash to complete the image, you could them do this with 2 differently positioned flashes on rf receivers.

yer that should be totally possible, just a question of software. Assuming changing the channel address doesnt introduce any delays

yer that should be totally possible, just a question of software. Assuming changing the channel address doesnt introduce any delays
Shouldn't do (no more than a handful of clock cycles). You could use a 74HC164 or 74HC595 shift register for something like this.

Shouldn't do (no more than a handful of clock cycles). You could use a 74HC164 or 74HC595 shift register for something like this.

I dont have any rf602s at the moment, but im certainly thinking about getting some. I wonder if you can switch the channel quick enough that you can trigger two groups from the same transmitter almost simultaneously by toggling the channel and firing. Dont know how long the pin has to be high to trigger the rf602.

I have a couple of receivers on the bench that are already shredded and ready with patch leads soldered on them. Would have to take a transmitter apart to check it but should be able to hook it all up to my spangly new DSO and get a workable delay. There is a socket inside the universal trigger specifically to attach to an RF602 as a receiver. I had 7 of the receivers as a certain nice chap on here sent me some broken ones which I fixed :) Only have 2 transmitters.

If anyone has more transmitters than they need and wants to swap a transmitter for a receiver I would be most happy to do so.

Oh and the universal trigger as a self build kit is going to be a possibility by the look of it. I am going to incorporate the Atmel chip off the 1280 onto the main board for a trial and work out the cost implications. If I get 100% tested boards with all the surface mounted chips already attached I can sell them as a kit for attaching the rest. I could also look at the possibility of just going over completely to surface mount and having them made up - very reliable and simple then just assemble into the box/case. Decisions decisions.........

The RF603 setup would be a better option for a new build. The devices are RX and TX so you could change channel and change direction of transmission as well!

I am just sending an email to a supplier in HK to see if he will do be a mix of 602 and 603s but incorporating a pair of 603s would be a very handy extra. (would have to be an optional extra though!)

Please go over to surface mount. I've drilled 2 of the 3 boards and its BORING (crap pun intended)

IMAG0045.jpg

I'll have a brew, then do the main shield board and get them in the post :)

EDIT: that phone pic is terrible, but the only other camera here is my 1V and I'm not doing a dev and scan just for that one pic :)

Please go over to surface mount. I've drilled 2 of the 3 boards and its BORING (crap pun intended)

I'll have a brew, then do the main shield board and get them in the post :)

EDIT: that phone pic is terrible, but the only other camera here is my 1V and I'm not doing a dev and scan just for that one pic :)

Cheers :) I can just imagine! I have ordered a MEGA kit D today. It is likely to take a while to get good with it.

Surface mount would be tidier too. I am good enough with a soldering iron to solder the occasional SMD component on but would need to buy a SMD re-work station if I go down that route. Probably worth it though.

Just had a reply to my RF602 swap request on the wanted section and I have a dead one winging its way out to me :)

Hopefully I'll be able to fix it quite easily and hook it up. I will do a thread like my RF602 transistor repair thread with all the goodies on it once I do. ie where all the pin outs are and what they do, how to hook it up to arduino etc. In fact I'll do a thread about both the RX and TX. Will do a separate one about the RF603 when I get some.

looking good Darren
how big did the board finish up?

looking good Darren
how big did the board finish up?

The maximum that eagle "free" would allow 100x80 mm but it is seriously packed and covered in Vias. I will be going to the standard or pro version for the final version. Also toying with SMD and having the Atmel IC on the main board. My own PCB manufacturing kit should arrive next week then I'll need to learn how to get the most out of it.

The full on boxed and working prototype should be finished in a couple of weeks.

don't forget this is a photo forum - we need (lots of) pictures :)

Ok. You'll love the back of the current prototype main circuit board

it's gone quiet oop north
how's things at the coal face?

Work and moving the studio round have got in the way of further progress. Your new toy is on route even though I had to switch to 48 hour tracked delivery :)

Work and moving the studio round have got in the way of further progress. Your new toy is on route even though I had to switch to 48 hour tracked delivery :)

:)
many thanks for that!

how's the "board" coming along - and the PCB processing lab you now have?

The PCB plant arrived today but one of the boxes was split and some of the bits were missing. They are sending me new ones but I thought I would try out the PCB drill. Bill puggie made me 3 boards for the hp, processing and testing and I thought I would drill out the hp boards holes a little so that it would take the relays. Whilst attempting to open the plastic container I stuck one of the drill bits straight through my finger! Yes the only thing that stopped it was where the shank became thicker in order to fit a dremel.

Ouch!

The instruction DVD was one of the missing bits so not done anything with it then spent an hour going to the post office twice as I left my wallet at home.

Ever watched "Some mothers do 'ave 'em"?

Oh and sorting out my for sale thread. I need to sell off some stuff to buy the rest of the PCB kit I need.

ouch
you are getting through fingers at an alarming rate
be careful grasshopper!

I need to chat to you about an idea I have had for armoured gloves :shrug:

I need to chat to you about an idea I have had for armoured gloves :shrug:

I actually have a pair of stab/needle stick protective gloves already. If I was wearing them then all that would happen is that the sharp thing would be deflected into some other area without protection.

This is my new workshop suit....

92-246-thickbox.jpg

Right, just had a nice big delivery of lots of outstanding components....

I now have 25 full DS1307 full kits (after the chips finally arrived) more LCD screen sizes (8x2, 16x4, 20x4, 32x4 [the 32x8 hasn't arrived just yet]) and lots of other stuff.

I am picking up a weather proof peli case copy later and it may well be that at launch there are two versions.... (A) the portable version because I already have the case for that & (B) the hardy weatherproof version of the full sized one. The normal desktop version will be next after that followed by a deluxe desktop version with larger screen and mains controllers, more camera inputs etc etc.

Just been speaking to a chap regarding board manufacture and building the final versions. I am getting quotes for: just boards; boards + SMT components; boards + all components; boards + everything all with and without them supplying the components too. (I can supply any I can get cheaper or where I program them)

It is really starting to come on now and starting to feel more real !

Last edited:
Do you ever have one of those Victor Meldrew moments?

After my delivery of DS1307s I hooked up the circuit to test them and it didn't work. I attached the oscilloscope to the clock line and it was working. Disconnected the scope and it doesn't work. This is just a simple circuit containing the DS1307 chip, a clock crystal, 2 2K2 resistors and a watch battery. I've tested everything and swapped the IC. DOH! .....

Breath...........

Breath...........

Removed the resistors and it still works with the scope and stops when I disconnect it :bang:

Last edited:
Arrrrr pull DOWN resistors :D

I need more caffeine

?probe capacitance a factor also?:rules:

?probe capacitance a factor also?:rules:

I just randomly brought up a page on the internet with the pin outs and it would appear that the writer had the resistors as pull ups rather than down! Connected them to GND instead of 5V and it worked straight away :)

I just randomly brought up a page on the internet with the pin outs and it would appear that the writer had the resistors as pull ups rather than down! Connected them to GND instead of 5V and it worked straight away :)
Don't ya hate that? I just figured out the schematic from looking at the AdaFruit DS1307 breakout board. AdaFruit and Sparkfun online stores have been really good resources for that kinda thing. :)

Don't ya hate that? I just figured out the schematic from looking at the AdaFruit DS1307 breakout board. AdaFruit and Sparkfun online stores have been really good resources for that kinda thing. :)

I had the data sheet printed out but was too lazy to get it !

hmm when I looked at the manufacturer's datasheet it mentioned pull up resistors
how strange

but if it works...

Oh....... This is a big break through.....

The mobile version is up and running too (only on breadboard though!).

Specs....

16x2 line display
SAME triggers using same plug (you'll note that on the universal trigger the trigger itself plugs into a "25way D to network socket" that is the same colour as the network lead's plug to avoid confusion).
Battery powered
One camera socket
One flash socket (low power)
One IR output
No PS2/remote connection
User interface is by 3 controls...... 1 button, 1 menu selector knob and 1 value selector knob
Trigger and Intervalometer functions.

Still have lots to do with it but it is getting there......

All values are stored in EEPROM as you change them so it remembers what you are doing from one use to the other.

I had the PERFECT case lined up with pre cut LCD hole, battery compartment and everything. Unfortunately they have discontinued the case so I'm looking for a case at the moment. I have bought one from Maplin for the prototype but it is not suitable for the final version.

Does anyone have a decent supplier for the arduino chips with or without supporting components? Especially if they sell them in 10s ?

I've found another supplier for the box I really like :)

The portable version will be launched first.

my list of suppliers includes

RScomponents
Technobots
Proto-Pic
Farnell

and for PCB hardware
Toby

it's always a trade-off between cheap prices and delivery charges!

Do you want them with bootloader installed or just raw chips?
as you know raw is a few pennies cheaper, so long as you have the wherewithall to install your software

HTH YMMV

Last edited:
Farnell's probably the cheapest if you're buying 10+, but you'll have to bootload 'em yourself.

nah
RS is cheaper

RS £2.71 (+VAT)
Farnell £2.78 (+VAT)

that's for the DIP, SMD is pennies cheaper with both

That is the 328?

I have replaced the socket on a standard arduino with a ZIF socket. I can just stick the un programmed chip in the program it that way.

Thanks

Yeah, ATMega328P (24 pin DIP)

Farnell are really crappy prices if you're only ordering one or two of something, but when you start ordering 10, 20, 50, 100, their prices get pretty good (although I'd still go to Rapid for stuff like resistors and super cheap stuff - and low quantity ICs).

Back