The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see how if you believed his story, you'd be defending him.

He said he went back to work, physically back to work, in Downing Street. After going home to look after his wife who he suspected might have COVID.

Even if the rest of his story is 100% true. That right there, put his colleagues and the wider public, at direct risk. And I'm amazed anyone would try to justify that tbh.

Me?

I thought he returned to work when they were all recovering?

Anyway. I've said what I wanted to and although you don't not agree I'd rather urge a little more understanding and compassion and even forgiveness than be a part of the crowd condemning and calling for sackings. As I said, I may have done the same. I'm not going to change any minds so with that I'll bow out.

Well, according to Mr Cummings he had self isolated for two weeks by the time that he drove back home, so a driver would not have been at any risk.

I agree about the media pressure and the mob mentality, that's always wrong even though it's a fact of life. People who live their lives in the public eye - and especially those who make themselves unpopular - need to accept public scrutiny and unfortunately hounding by the press is a by product of that scrutiny. However, the hounding didn't start until after the story broke, which puts the lie to his story.
And he was so terrified that he's moved everyone back. :rolleyes: As someone else said, if he just came out and said he cocked up this would probably have been chip paper today. But he didn't, and it isn't.

Me?

I thought he returned to work when they were all recovering?

Anyway. I've said what I wanted to and although you don't not agree I'd rather urge a little more understanding and compassion and even forgiveness than be a part of the crowd condemning and calling for sackings. As I said, I may have done the same. I'm not going to change any minds so with that I'll bow out.

No, he ran out of Downing Street, got in a car, went home to look after Mary. Later the same day, she was feeling a bit better, so he went back to work. That's what he said at the start of his statement.

I wonder if those who are criticising the media for "hounding" were equally as critical over their behaviour with regarding the smear campaign aimed at Corbyn before the election. Interestingly, anti-semitism in the Labour party doesn't appear to be an issue any more.

I did and would criticise JC as he at least put his foot in it on multiple occasions, occasionally backtracked unconvincingly and imo failed to take any effective control with multiple people reporting their concerns on multiple occasions. There was imo enough there to merit an independent investigation and it is I assume ongoing but maybe on hold for C19 reasons? I don't know when or if there'll ever be a final report. What I wouldn't support include demonstrations outside his home or calls on social media for attacks.

"I suddenly got a call from my wife who was at home looking after our four year old child. She told me she suddenly felt badly ill. She'd vomited and felt like she might pass out. And there'll be nobody to look after our child. None of our usual childcare options were available. They were alone in the house. After very briefly telling some officials in No.10 what had happened, I immediately left the building, ran to a car and drove home.

This was reported by the media at the time who saw me run out of No. 10. After a couple of hours, my wife felt a bit better. There were many critical things at work and she urged me to return in the afternoon and I did. That evening, I returned home and discussed the situation with my wife.

She was ill. She might have Covid, though she did not have a cough or a fever. At this point, most of those who I work with most closely, including the prime minister himself and others who sit within 15 feet of me every day, either had had symptoms and had returned to work or were absent with symptoms."

There is no explanation, or excuse he can make. This was a blatant disregard for public health, and a clear breach of guidelines and law. Even if the rest of his story was 100% accurate. This alone should have seen him gone.

When we had symptoms at the start of March, we immediately pulled our daughter from school and both closed our businesses. If we'd continued, it'd have been a breach of the law. We must be utter mugs, my wife should've continued to see clients as she didn't have a cough, and the 7 day isolation could have started a day later than our symptoms appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if those who are criticising the media for "hounding" were equally as critical over their behaviour with regarding the smear campaign aimed at Corbyn before the election. Interestingly, anti-semitism in the Labour party doesn't appear to be an issue any more.

I also wonder how many people actually cared a hoot about antisemitism until JC was pilloried using the made up story? not many I would guess. As an example (pretty sure I've written this before) whilst at the bar in the local (seems like forever ago now :() talking to the local Tomeh Robinsun fan he said Corbyn was antiseptic, I kid you not.

Seriously?
Yes, I did say “indirectly”. And if you remember one of that lot (Johnson, Farage ?) said after the referendum result that it had been achieved “without a shot being fired”, extraordinary!

Yes, I did say “indirectly”. And if you remember one of that lot (Johnson, Farage ?) said after the referendum result that it had been achieved “without a shot being fired”, extraordinary!
It was shameful for Farage to have made that comment.
Jo Cox's murder was politically motivated, but that doesn't make the Government/Cummings/media allies responsible, either directly or indirectly.
The guy that murdered her had serious mental issues.

"I wasn't sure I'd be well enough to drive the 260 miles to London, so I drove 60 miles to test my eyesight. Driving made me feel so sick that I had to pull over and that confirmed that I was definitely back to full health and fine to drive 260 miles home". Anyone actually believe that drivel?
And if you do believe it, what about the fact that means he still had symptoms and so should have isolated for a further 7 days?
On sky news earlier he admitted to being an incompetent driver. Not a very confident driver, make of that what you will
So as countries begin to ease lockdowns with many starting to reopen borders and end quarantines, why are we planning on bringing this in 2 weeks from now? Hasn’t the horse already bolted?
Again on Sky news earlier Bjob is reputed to be unlocking certain / many retail outlets, to take the heat off the coming and goings of errr Cummings.
Again, is he really that stupid? ( rhetorical ;) )

On sky news earlier he admitted to being an incompetent driver. Not a very confident driver, make of that what you will

Again on Sky news earlier Bjob is reputed to be unlocking certain / many retail outlets, to take the heat off the coming and goings of errr Cummings.
Again, is he really that stupid? ( rhetorical ;) )

Just saw this

View: https://BANNED/JonathanPieNews/status/1265239962418647043

He was going to say "to make sure I was sober enough" or something wasn't he? :ROFLMAO:

Just saw this

He was going to say "to make sure I was sober enough" or something wasn't he? :ROFLMAO:
Be fair he was sent out to do the interview to see if he could pass a credibility test, looks like he failed :).

Just saw this

Mumpsimus! Well I‘ve learned something today, a word I never knew but supremely appropriate (in the twitter comments).

A mumpsimus is ... "someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed and the person humiliated; also, any error, bad habit, or prejudice clung to in this fashion".”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumpsimus

Last edited:
Some of the Church of England’s most senior bishops have reported receiving hate mail and death threats after speaking out on Downing Street adviser Dominic Cummings’ alleged breach of lockdown rules.
Bishop of Worcester John Inge tweeted that he received an email warning “stay out of politics or we’ll kill you” after he criticised Boris Johnson’s “risible defence” of Mr Cummings on Sunday night.
Helen-Ann Hartley, the bishop of Ripon, reported a similar threat, posting: “‘Stay out of politics or it will be the death of you’ was one of the emails I received today. Thank you to those who have sent supportive messages.”

As a parent, I'd have much more respect for him if he just said "you know what, I shouldn't have broken the rules, but I did. Yes, not everyone has the luxury of another home they could isolate in, I feel terrible for them, but any parent in my position would have made the same decision."

But just pretending the rules said he could do what he did, when they clearly didn't, and no apology. That just makes it worse.

This would have got everyone off his back - admitting he made a mistake, paying a fine, and accepting responsibility... then everyone would have moved on and it would soon be forgotten about. The trouble is that his statement yesterday leaves no room for doing that. Unless anything new comes out, there is no way Boris can sack him after defending him so this will continue to distract.

Personally I'd be more worried about all the public that have continually ignored the social distancing during the lockdown.

Some maybe, but they were fined. The thing is that his household was symptomatic. Going against distancing is one thing, but when you are symptomatic its far worse.

I think many people couldn't give a flying either way. There was a poll reported on the radio that 52% wanted his sacked, they said something to the effect that this was hardly resounding. If the media weren't so out for him I doubt many people would care.

Funny that, in a recent vote 52% was regarded as an overwhelming mandate to leave the EU!!! Yet 52% now means its hardly resounding!!!

I really can't see how if you believed his story, you'd be defending him.

He said he went back to work, physically back to work, in Downing Street. After going home to look after his wife who he suspected might have COVID.

Even if the rest of his story is 100% true. That right there, put his colleagues and the wider public, at direct risk. And I'm amazed anyone would try to justify that tbh.

Maybe you need to give him more credit - his plan was to be a modern day Guy Fawkes and wipe out the government with something other than gunpowder!!!

Unless anything new comes out, there is no way Boris can sack him after defending him so this will continue to distract.
It would have to be a 'resignation', recognising his role had become a 'distraction from the important issues at a time of national crisis' or something.

It seems to me that some members of the Tory party, not all but some, and a number of posters on here don't quite realise the sh!tstorm this has caused throughout the country. There's real and genuine anger at his actions and the governments response, and no its not media generated.

Some of the Church of England’s most senior bishops have reported receiving hate mail and death threats after speaking out on Downing Street adviser Dominic Cummings’ alleged breach of lockdown rules.
Bishop of Worcester John Inge tweeted that he received an email warning “stay out of politics or we’ll kill you” after he criticised Boris Johnson’s “risible defence” of Mr Cummings on Sunday night.
Helen-Ann Hartley, the bishop of Ripon, reported a similar threat, posting: “‘Stay out of politics or it will be the death of you’ was one of the emails I received today. Thank you to those who have sent supportive messages.”

Death threats, particularly credible ones should be dealt with by the police in all cases.

Luckily we haven't descended to that level here but clearly the intention to shut opposing opinion and civil rights is alive and well.

"I suddenly got a call from my wife who was at home looking after our four year old child. She told me she suddenly felt badly ill. She'd vomited and felt like she might pass out. And there'll be nobody to look after our child. None of our usual childcare options were available. They were alone in the house. After very briefly telling some officials in No.10 what had happened, I immediately left the building, ran to a car and drove home.

This was reported by the media at the time who saw me run out of No. 10. After a couple of hours, my wife felt a bit better. There were many critical things at work and she urged me to return in the afternoon and I did. That evening, I returned home and discussed the situation with my wife.

She was ill. She might have Covid, though she did not have a cough or a fever. At this point, most of those who I work with most closely, including the prime minister himself and others who sit within 15 feet of me every day, either had had symptoms and had returned to work or were absent with symptoms."

There is no explanation, or excuse he can make. This was a blatant disregard for public health, and a clear breach of guidelines and law. Even if the rest of his story was 100% accurate. This alone should have seen him gone.

When we had symptoms at the start of March, we immediately pulled our daughter from school and both closed our businesses. If we'd continued, it'd have been a breach of the law. We must be utter mugs, my wife should've continued to see clients as she didn't have a cough, and the 7 day isolation could have started a day later than our symptoms appeared.

I maybe missing something but what you have posted is not bad IMO.

His wife was ill, now vomiting is not one of the symptoms of Covis and he said she did not have cough/fever which are the main ones. It could have been simply food poisoning or a bug, especially as after being sick she felt better. Based on what you have written I would have done the same as she seems to not have had covid symptoms.

Maybe in part to this article in the Telegraph yesterday

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 13.23.43.png

As a parent, I'd have much more respect for him if he just said "you know what, I shouldn't have broken the rules, but I did. Yes, not everyone has the luxury of another home they could isolate in, I feel terrible for them, but any parent in my position would have made the same decision."

But just pretending the rules said he could do what he did, when they clearly didn't, and no apology. That just makes it worse.

It makes me concerned about the caliber of people we have in charge. It was obvious from the moment this issue surfaced the press were, quite rightly in my opinion, not going to let it go.

It should also have been obvious to DC and BJ the best way of dealing with it was quickly and with at least a modicum of acknowledgement of breaking of rules, at least in spirit.

For some reason(I'm biased but I can only think it was arrogance) Boris decided to come out in a Covid19 briefing in combative form and then start to crumble when the questioning got difficult, and Dominic sticks to the the letter of the law and can't bring himself to show any contrition.

If it had been handled well all this would be a distant memory, but is it that no member of a government, especially the higher they are, or anyone associated with them can ever admit a fault.?

Dave

His wife was ill, now vomiting is not one of the symptoms of Covis and he said she did not have cough/fever which are the main ones. It could have been simply food poisoning or a bug, especially as after being sick she felt better. Based on what you have written I would have done the same as she seems to not have had covid symptoms.

He said he believed she may have COVID.

If he did, then why did he go to work?

If he didn't, then why did the run-up to Durham to self isolate?

He said he believed she may have COVID.

If he did, then why did he go to work?

If he didn't, then why did the run-up to Durham to self isolate?

Ah, I thought he went home to his wife that night and then thought she had Covid.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid19-digestive-symptoms#1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back