The Welsh Crown of Thorns

Edit My Images
No
With winter returning to the Welsh hills, I took the chance to capture a picture of a site I scoped over 12 months ago.

Isolated on a rocky outcrop, Bryn Cader Faner is considered to be one of the wonders of prehistoric Britain. It is a small cairn 8.5m wide with fifteen thin slabs leaning out of monument like a crown of thorns.

Carefully placed in its dramatic setting so as to achieve maximum impact on travellers approaching from the south, this visually superb monument is well worth the walk in.

I'd been taking pictures there all afternoon and was waiting for the sun to be just on the mountain horizon when this huge snow storm passed through obliterating the sun (and everything else!). I banked on it being a cold front which means extreme weather but for a short time and just before the sunset the clouds cleared but with the added bonus now of snow on the ground - makes up for all the crappy sunsets I've had over the past month.

Please click through for the full resolution version

Last edited:
So you watched Iolo Williams the other day too! As soon as I saw it I've put this place on my visit list! Still don't actually know where it is mind!

Stunning shot, and shows exactly why I want to go! (y)

So you watched Iolo Williams the other day too! As soon as I saw it I've put this place on my visit list! Still don't actually know where it is mind!

Stunning shot, and shows exactly why I want to go! (y)

I was there first!

Its not too difficult to find. In the village of Eisingrug (just up the hill from Harlech) there's a hotel with a large allotment garden. Theres a road that goes to the right hand side of the allotment and if you follow your nose up the hill (going through one gate that you have to open by a stream) you arrive at a grass car park (SH 631347). Its £2 to park and proceeds go to the Air Ambulance. Grass paths all the way and it takes a good 45 minutes to get to Bryn Cader Faner (SH647347) from the car park. An amazing site to see and set in hills where you'll barely see another person all day - fantastic!

Bing Map here - http://binged.it/yCBmEl

What an amazing place. Whats the origin of the name? Is it in reference to the crown thorns Jesus wore?

Hi Joel - yes, I suppose thats where the name comes from - its often called the "Welsh Crown of Thorns"

Last edited:
I was there first!

Its not too difficult to find. In the village of Eisingrug (just up the hill from Harlech) there's a hotel with a large allotment garden. Theres a road that goes to the right hand side of the allotment and if you follow your nose up the hill (going through one gate that you have to open by a stream) you arrive at a grass car park (SH 631347). Its £2 to park and proceeds go to the Air Ambulance. Grass paths all the way and it takes a good 45 minutes to get to Bryn Cader Faner (SH647347) from the car park. An amazing site to see and set in hills where you'll barely see another person all day - fantastic!

Bing Map here - http://binged.it/yCBmEl

Cheers for that, I will have to go poke around when the weather's a bit more favourable than today (y)

And an alternative view from Sunday....

Please click through for a full resolution image

Back