"The White Rose", steam special, 09.07.11.

Edit My Images
No
4492 "Dominion of New Zealand" aka "Bittern" getting into it's stride just south of York, in some decent light for a change!

Lens used was a Canon 100mm macro.

6574.jpg

Excellent shot, as you say the lighting was good, never is when I try a get good shots of steamers!!

That's a beautiful shot!

Fancy cloning out the wires? ;):LOL:

Nothing in the shot apart from the wires to suggest it isn't 1938... [Edit] Thinking about it, someone is now going to say the rolling stock isn't correct I suspect! I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other - it certainly looks period to me... [/Edit]

Last edited:
That's a beautiful shot!

Fancy cloning out the wires? ;):LOL:

Nothing in the shot apart from the wires to suggest it isn't 1938... [Edit] Thinking about it, someone is now going to say the rolling stock isn't correct I suspect! I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other - it certainly looks period to me... [/Edit]

The rolling stock is 1950s onward. Shame about the wires, otherwise it's a cracker.

Agreed... great shot, other than the power lines!

They restored The Bittern down in Hampshire, on the Watercress line... I saw it when they were working on it - so glad to see they have it up and running! (y)

Thanks for all your comments they're much appreciated.

Just to clear up a couple of points,
1. I hate overhead wires as much as the next person but I've learned to live with them and now try to minimise their impact as much as possible by planning the shot.

For example using bushes to hide the posts or a low pov so that the train hides the far side posts/wires (this works particularly well if there's plenty of trailing exhaust).

I also position the shot so that the two nearest posts act as a frame for the loco.

The overhead wires are a part of the modern railway I'm afraid and life's too short to spend ages removing them just to get a pseudo authentic shot.
I feel the same about black & white conversions as well.

2. I recently found some of my shots being used without my permission and with my name removed, so the watermark is here to stay.
However I do try to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I thought I'd post these here - The Bittern during its restoration... It's polished up quite well!

Bittern-Restoration-1.jpg

Bittern-Restoration-2.jpg

Bittern-Restoration-3.jpg

Excellent shot of Bittern. Leave the wires in! The picture should reflect what you saw at the location.

Back