The Wife

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
Autumn last year, i went to my camera club who were having a couple of models coming in to photograph, during their break, i got the wife to jump onto the stage and i snapped a couple of her. Please let me know what you think, i was very nervous using big flash guns, and umbrella's.
thewife.jpg

just adjusted levels and a touch of saturation.

thats very nice steve, a genuine happy smile! my wife kind of grimaces when i get the camera out....

Flash was a tad strong though i think, perhaps a tweak with 'curves'?

A good picture, maybe a tad on the bright side. I would crop out that yellow chair as it detracts from the shot.

Yes, the yellow chair could look better if it was a dark wood.

That's a lovely capture of a lady with a nice natural smile, who's no doubt a mile too good for you anyway Boon. ;)

Just a bit too contrasty there - I did a levels adjust and slight sharpen.

thewife.jpg

I think it works great in B&W too.

thewifeb_amp_w.jpg

Great picture Boon, looks really natural. Good processing work CT. I had a quick go too. I started with CT's first pic, warmed it up a little bit and added a slight soft focus.....

boonswife.jpg

EDIT: Needs more saturation ^^^^

I really like the original but with CT's crop. That pic made me smile, really like it :)

a really lovely shot of your wife Boon, the edits are good too, specially the one by Ribby. I would rather you had titled it differently though...'the wife'!!! huh!!! :nono:

wowee, love the photo's CT ( too good for me, PAH :innocent: ) & ribby, anyone care to elaborate on the settings used so i can fiddle with the original (before you say just fiddle with it) i already did that with the one here, and look at the difference you two made.

@Marianne sorry about 'The wife ' title :sadcry:, but i wanted to call it 'Here's the best thing since sliced bread' but i tried to avoid the 'pass the sick bucket' and ' creap ' tags one usually gets when showing pics of 'the wife ', but never mind, i love her anyway.:D

ok but 'The Wife'....I ask you.....even just her name or 'Mrs Boon' would sound better...lol :)

Never mind what you call it Stev - a great shot, well composed and executed ... all the more impressed given the circumstances you describe !

My only downside comment would have been about the yellow chair as Minimeeze and others have already said !

Well done you.

hi Ven
thank you for your kind words and comments, i will be re-doing the shot (photoshop) without the chair, and play more with levels and saturation, as i would like a nice print out of it too.

Boon, all I did was to take CT's rework and did the following (in photoshop):

1. Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter > Warming Filter (85) about 15% (I think).
2. Layer > Duplicate Layer.
3. Select the top layer then: Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur (about 1.8 - 2.0).
4. Change the Opacity of the top layer to a level that suits (can't remember what I used but it was below 50%). You change the opacity in the layers panel.

If I'd had more time I'd have tweaked the saturation up a bit. I think the colour is lost in the eyes and lips.

CT will have to explain what he did first. I liked his version but thought I'd try a warmer, softer approach :)

Boon said:
hi Ven
thank you for your kind words and comments, i will be re-doing the shot (photoshop) without the chair, and play more with levels and saturation, as i would like a nice print out of it too.

Can't say I blame you about the print - it will look really great sized up and properly framed ! Look forward to a pic of the finished article hanging around on your wall ...

Ps - see you took it to heart and altered the title !

Lovely shot boon and ct's processing and crop really makes the difference, definately one for the printer & frame.

I can't remember exactly what I did , but it was pretty simple stuff. I adjusted the histogram slightly as the highlights were burning out in the original, brought the gamma right down so the image wasn't so bright, and reduced the saturation keeping an eye on those very red skin tones and trying to get them looking more natural. If reducing the saturation overall doesn't get it quite right, then try just reducing the red slider. Natural looking skin tones are the key to when to stop.

I cropped the pic and cloned out the black bits under the armpits, gave it a sharpen and added the borders.

Just a point of interest for you all - when we do our studio portrait exam, we would fail if there are more than one highlights visible in the eyes - and we have to use three lights, minimum.

It can be done, but it takes some time to set up...

As the bosses say - there's only one sun.

Other than that - quite nice, though I prefer some of the other guys' edits - the original is way too harsh for a female sitter and doesn't flatter her at all.

thanks for the lovely words and helpful advice given here, and thanks to Arkady for the tip about the catchlights.

Arkady said:
Just a point of interest for you all - when we do our studio portrait exam, we would fail if there are more than one highlights visible in the eyes - and we have to use three lights, minimum.

It can be done, but it takes some time to set up...

As the bosses say - there's only one sun.

Not like this one then Rob, nice prezzie for you when you get back from malawi ;)

Vikki_008.jpg

I must admit, looking at the pictures with a 19" screen, everything looks so different. The colours are totally different from my laptop and my wife looks so long faced, and her face is more rounded. I will just have to get used to it.

lol dave, the wife takes no getting used to, still fiddling with the comp though

Back