The wild half

Name
david
Edit My Images
Yes
Just Looking for some advice, opinions and critique on this shot of one of my twin girls(hence the title).

Surprised myself getting this close without a hand print on the end of my lens :D.

This is my first post of a pic taken with a canon 50d, ef-s 17-55mm and 430 ex speedlite. Shot at 1/10 2.8 and iso 500.

Let me know what you think

carmenresize.jpg

similar comments I had on my pic I posted and I can appreciate what was said now looking at this.

I think it was a shame in missing out her ear and maybe nicer looking with more background?

what does the photo look like in colour?

thanks for replying oli :)

I can see what you mean with the ear. Strangely I never noticed before
but that's why a second opinion is so good.

I took the pic in monochrome setting so no colour version to compare
with

cheers again

I'm new as well so not that great an eye.

I like the lighting of her eyes though that I never noticed, from the 430ex?

I take it this was the best of the lot or do you have others maybe a couple catching her eye? or ones where she is preoccupied (like a candid shot as the one above is kinda in between?

anyway all my own thoughts. keep practising as I'm coming to the conclusion that the less comments means not that it isn't that interesting :( - that's what I'm concluding from my photo I uploaded so keep at it dude!

yeah i take it, it was the 430ex.

There's a bunch of all different shots as I wasn't really trying anything other than to get some camera practice as i haven't had much lately so i thought id post this pic just to get an idea on other peoples thoughts.

Also trying to figure out if I had a focus/sharpness problem or if it was just me......I came to the conclusion it was just me ;)

It doesn't put me off not having many responses but i'm glad you did as I'm not quite confident/experienced enough yet to comment on other peoples work.

Once I get chance ill try to get a nice pic of the quiet half :)

cheers again

I was shooting in av mode at 2.8 and that's the shutter speed the camera gave me. If I was paying attention id try for a speed nearer 1/50 and that's why I'm surprised there wasn't a lot more motion blur. Like i said before there wasn't a lot of thought behind the pic but with more camera practice I'll keep an eye on these kinda things ;)

cheers for posting.

It needs a touch more contrast and yes, the ear is missing but it is a nice portrait. If you are using a flashgun then it's always best to use the camera in Manual. Use a shutter speed of around 1/125th and select the aperture you want to dictate the DoF (as you have done with f2.8). then you can adjust the shutter speed up and down or adjust the ISO to get the exposure you want. The camera's meter has no relevance at all in this situation and can be ignored.

and now the quiet half....

IMG_5405resized.jpg

shot on manual at 2.8 1/125 iso 500 and yep she's due her first fringe cut :LOL:

cheers again fabs

That's lovely, nice and sharp. (y)

Now have a think about composition. Position her a little off center with the buggy (?) not behind her but maybe on the other side of the frame. Just a thought. ;)

position a 15 month old. I wish i had that ability ;)

will try that when she lets me fabs :)

cheers again

Back