The Windmill and the Universe

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I know I must have posted dozens of photo's of the windmill but what can I say it's a great subject, this is a star trail that I did there recently, it was a great night for it, with the moon doing a stunning job of lighting the landscape really well :D nights like this can be great for star trailing some of my best star trails have come from them...

I shot this looking south to take in the southern end of the milkyway as I had shot a static photo recently at the windmill that featured the MW you can see that HERE since that evening I wanted to get there and do a star trail of that angle :D

307/366 (672) (Explored) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As you can see because of the southern or slightly off southern aspect you get double curvature in the trails as you see hints of the stars curving round the south and north polar axis

As with all my photo's comments and critique are welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

A very nice picture, if a little "busy" with the number of star trails.
but like the way you have managed the double curve, which is different.
also like the way the path leads you into the picture and the windmill.

A very nice picture, if a little "busy" with the number of star trails.
but like the way you have managed the double curve, which is different.
also like the way the path leads you into the picture and the windmill.

Very nice but as the above said, 'tis a bit busy with so many star trails?

Not a lot I can do about the number of star's :D but thanks both for your comments (y)

I really like it...and I like the effect you got with the star trails, I guess you used a high ISO to pick up so many stars?....and, what lens were you using?.

I really like it...and I like the effect you got with the star trails, I guess you used a high ISO to pick up so many stars?....and, what lens were you using?.

Thanks :D Not a massively high ISO the basic frame settings were ISO2000, f/4 and 30 second exposures using 24mm on the 24-70/2.8L (y)

Thanks :D Not a massively high ISO the basic frame settings were ISO2000, f/4 and 30 second exposures using 24mm on the 24-70/2.8L (y)
Thanks...out of interest how many images did you stack?.

theraven said:
Excellent shot, I think the double curves of the stars really add something. I can see why you keep shooting here, what a great place!

Thanks Jenna, it is the most amazing place :)

Where is it?

It's in the heart of Warwickshire, near to Warwick/Leamington

[MAP]maps?hl=en&ll=52.231493,-1.491179&spn=0.007439,0.021136&t=h&z=16[/MAP]

Hope that helps (y)

Got rid of those stars for you Matt....

mattswindmill.jpg

That edit is much better.....the sky is way less distracting, just a shame you weren't closer to the windmill, as it's a bit lost in the frame!! :LOL:

That edit is much better.....the sky is way less distracting, just a shame you weren't closer to the windmill, as it's a bit lost in the frame!! :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: I should have put a longer lens on :D

or crop the raw, and I'll do a proper edit for you.....

Call yourself a photographer.. for a start it is clearly a portrait, not a landscape... I refer you to the 17th century classic artists who came up with such terms..

That's the trouble with these canonites... all the gear, no idea... :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

or crop the raw, and I'll do a proper edit for you.....

Call yourself a photographer.. for a start it is clearly a portrait, not a landscape... I refer you to the 17th century classic artists who came up with such terms..

That's the trouble with these canonites... all the gear, no idea... :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

From the mouth of the Pentax Paper Weight Man :D off out now to shoot some more rubbish photos :D

I love moonlit startrails and that's a cracker.

I keep meaning to try one myself, but I'm too lazy - yours has fired up my motivation to give it a go though.

I love moonlit startrails and that's a cracker.

I keep meaning to try one myself, but I'm too lazy - yours has fired up my motivation to give it a go though.

Thanks Rob, get out there and do it :D the best advice I can give though is take some one with you to chat too, star trails go so much quicker if you can sit there chatting with someone (y)

Matt

i love the image... and the start trails... not too busy for me.. i may of been tempted to put the horizon on the third line

Thanks Chris, I see what you mean about the 3rd line (y) but glad that you like it (y)

I love star trails. I particularly love this star trail. I love the windmill shots you post Matt. I've been meaning to get up there to take pics of this windmill myself. Kudo to you for sharing all the details of how the shot was taken too, I like it when people share their secrets with the rest of us, it makes this hobby attainable for beginners to aspire to their betters......
Thanks.

h14nha said:
I love star trails. I particularly love this star trail. I love the windmill shots you post Matt. I've been meaning to get up there to take pics of this windmill myself. Kudo to you for sharing all the details of how the shot was taken too, I like it when people share their secrets with the rest of us, it makes this hobby attainable for beginners to aspire to their betters......
Thanks.

Thanks, pleased that you like it (y) and I'm always happy to share my secrets :)

ST4 said:
I suspect Matt that a crop to remove the sky and put the horizon at 1/3rds may help. It feels oddly out of balance

I can understand the merits of a crop but it's all about the curvature of the trails for me and some of that would be lost with a crop also I'm not really fussed at having more of what is quite a dull foreground other than the windmill making up a greater percentage of the frame

Back