The woodworkers window

I like the exposure as it adds to the feel of the shot. It looks better on black too.

HDR would kill this (as it does most subjects). It's perfect as it is. It's dark because it's supposed to be dark!

Steve.

I also like it, but would like not to have seen the blue plastic carton.

Hi, I like everything about this shot, thanks for showing it to us.(y)

I like this. You have really captured the feel of the scene.

I can almost smell sawdust and wood glue!
(y)

I'm also in the "I like it" camp. I think the lighting is just right.

I looked at it, then I looked at it again, then I clicked through and looked at it on flickr. To be honest I think its a bit "meh". The reason being if the window is the main feature its oof and not very interesting anyway, there is nothing interesting going on outside the window, and there isn't really anything drawing my eyes inside the window - it just looks like a bench covered with random stuff including an icecream tub, doesn't really say woodworker (or carpenter for that matter) and has been said its quite dark. Quite dark could work if there was more definition in the highlights, like a rich texture on the mallett or the saw blade in the window looks a bit interesting.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh!

Thanks for your comment, whilst it may look underexposed, this was how my eye also so the scene....it was quite a low light workshop....

:)

Totally agree here.
My head tells me this is exactly how it would have looked, and is all the better for it.

B&W conversion might be worth a comparison?

Shame about the ice cream tub, and for me, a touch too dark.

That said, I like it. (y)

I knew the tub wouldn't stand out as much and thought the conversion would add a "vintage" touch (y)

That kills it for me, It is horrible. The original had a full range of tones and created a low key mood.

I do not understand the modern need to see detail everywhere and the fear of deep tones. In this version the whole concept of chiaroscuro has been lost.

I would have exchanged the blue colour of the box with the with the general ambient brown tone and left it at that. It is not that I have trouble with the blue it is just that it is drawing attention to the least interesting object.

I do argue some what with the title as the tools on show are mostly as found in a handyman home workshop.
Both carpenters and Joiners would each have different sets of tools.

Last edited:
I like it but I think you could make it pop more.

I had a PS plugin called Virtual Photographer years ago, if I remember correctly it also worked as a standalone program. It was ideal for this type of shot, make it all b&w and grainy to give it an old school feel.

I also prefer the original colour version - it is more atmospheric and draws me in. I like the way the low lighting brings out the diagonals of the bench and the props at the right of the window. If you tone down the blue it will be perfect.

I like the colour one exactly as it is, it has good presence and conveys the ambience gracefully. I think you should stop being paranoid about the blue tub - it's both part of the reality and also functions as a enlivening keynote that references the scene. Mute it and you mute the whole picture unecessarily.

Back