The Yarra River & Melbourne City at Night

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys & Gals

Im reltivly new to photpgraphy and i recently found the love for it whilst traveling. I wish i would have bought something better than the d5200 now but that said some of the shots I took im pretty happy with. I know the noise on this pic is slightly high but i guess you can expect that with the 18-55 kit lens...

I'd love to know some feedback on composition & editing please

Lens - 18-55 kit lens
30 second exposure
iso 100
f22

The Yarra River and Melbourne City, Australia by Dawson Palmer Photography, on Flickr

Hi Dawson. Welcome to the forum! A great opening image to start with!

At iso 100 there should be very little noise in the shot. What i would recommend is that you use the long exposure noise reduction feature that the camera will have somewhere in the menus. It will take another exposure for the same amount of time with the shutter closed and then use it to reduce noise in the pic you have just taken.

Another tip is to not use your lens at such a small aperture. Lenses suffer from diffraction when stopped down that far which can lead to poor quality. Try and aim for around f8-12 which should improve sharpness and image quality. Obviously this will shorten your exposure time so you may want to look at buying a good quality nd filter and a remote shutter release.

Nothing wrong with the d5200, it's a nice camera. I'd look at going for some better glass though.

Look forward to seeing more from you in the future!
David.

Hay - thank you for your CC - that reallly helps... ive been looking for somewhere like this to get these type of tips and advice - thank you, thats perfect!

just one thing.... LE & NR? what does this mean? sorry - put it down to my newby nievity. oh... Start trails ? sorry...

ohhh ah ha ha - Ive seen these before! just didnt know the name

they look like a lot of work.....

Perfik!

Meant to say that i viewed this on the PC a few days and couldn't see the noise you mentioned, i think you've done a good job! Would be interested to see the colour version if you still have it.

Cheers.

Perfik!

Meant to say that i viewed this on the PC a few days and couldn't see the noise you mentioned, i think you've done a good job! Would be interested to see the colour version if you still have it.

Cheers.

Just uploading David - bare with me, thank you mate

Much prefer that version. I can see from you photostream that you like b&w. I really like your 'fish supper' shot. Good work. :)

Thanks David - i do like teh B&W's to be honest - i love the contract in them

The above shots were taken from the princes bridge and the following two were taken from the right hand side on the river bank (Left) of the Princes bridge itself - all shots were taken with eth 18-55 kit lens - cant wait to get somthing better

Princes Bridge Melbourne by Jason Palmer Photography, on Flickr

Princes Bridge Melbourne by Jason Palmer Photography, on Flickr

thanks mate. i cant help thinking what they would have looking like with the camera & lens i really wanted.... but after what we paid for the trip we didnt have much in the way of 3k for it ha ha i guess they arnt too bad for an entry level set up

Back