Beginner There is some very light dust within the lens

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

been looking at a web site which sells 2nd lens, looking at some lens it says "There is some very light dust within the lenswhich would not affect optical performance at all.," would you take the chance and buy the lens? ( I'm not talking about big money lens)

I suppose it's all just on trust... the guy says it will not affect optical performance so the question is do you believe him?

Pretty much all of my old lenses have been described as having a spec or three and it's never been an issue.

It's a pretty standard line on the MPB website ... and in my experience I've had quite a number of lenses which could be described as having light dust, none of which affected the IQ in anyway.

fwiw if it is MPB and you are not happy with your purchase they will either refund or swap for another lens.

thanks Alan & Paul for your reply think I'll give it go

A little dust in the lens won't make any difference. If you shine a torch into any lens I'm sure you will see the odd speck here and there, try it with one of your own lenses.

A little dust in the lens won't make any difference. If you shine a torch into any lens I'm sure you will see the odd speck here and there, try it with one of your own lenses.

Unless your one of those people who go an breakdown, if they fine any dust in their lens :D

It's a pretty standard line on the MPB website ... and in my experience I've had quite a number of lenses which could be described as having light dust, none of which affected the IQ in anyway.

fwiw if it is MPB and you are not happy with your purchase they will either refund or swap for another lens.
Does sound like mpb doesn't it.
From my experience with them, they tend to over emphasise any possible faults, a mark on one I bought from them was so small it was unnoticeable unless you pointed it out.

Sounds more like Wex, regardless you should be covered by the distance selling act so take a gamble.

Dust is an inevitable result of owning a lens, it is simply unavailable and doesn't affect image quality at all unless really really severe and you are shooting into the light.

If you took one of your lenses that you think is dust free and shone a torch through it you might be surprised at how much dust is in there.

Nothing to worry about at all.

thanks everyone
I did look at one of my lens (without a torch) and found nothing I'll have to find a torch now and recheck ;)

As mentioned by Byker, I believe they mention dust to cover there backsides and it's standard to include in there description. It was the case with a lens I bought from Wex a few weeks ago, when the lens arrived it was in better condition than what I expected from their advert. The lens had no dust although mentioned in advert.

Over time dust gets into the lens that's normal. Also as the light passes through the glass of the lens aren't being focused therefore the dust will generally be a blur on images and usually undetectable. The same reason why dust specs on sensors are detectable when u start using f22 and beyond as the sensor is the focus plane.

Scratches and fungal growth are more worrying as both can damage the coating and potentially cause problems with flare or reduction image quality. Fungus may cast colour to images.

As mentioned by Byker, I believe they mention dust to cover there backsides and it's standard to include in there description. It was the case with a lens I bought from Wex a few weeks ago, when the lens arrived it was in better condition than what I expected from their advert. The lens had no dust although mentioned in advert.
Actually I sold a use lens to WEX, I went for a conservative description over the form I.e. trying to highlight all the faults. They gave me an acceptable price. when they received the lens, they appraised it to be better condition and gave me extra. So I was very pleased with them.

Dust in a lens is extremely unlikely to ruin your photos. Secondhand dealers just cover their arses because they know how anal the majority of their customers are.;)

Back