There's a Toad Living in my Garden

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Yep, our well kept lawn and perfect garden (not!!!) is home to at least one toad. This toad likes it wet, and we only see it when it is... well, wet.

Today, much to my suprise my photographic ambition retuned and I found myself laying on my chest, on a patio that was..ummm... flooded? And it was seriously slinging it down.

Anyway, worth it? Feels like a good start

070613_IMG_83713.jpg

20D + 70-200 F2.8 IS. 1/200th F2.8 ISO1600 (Needs some noise ninja)

(Sorry if the colours/brightness is out, not calibrated my monitor for months!)

He looks quite as astonished to see you, as you were to find yourself lying there! Great expression Richard - and glad to hear you've got "it" back!

Nice shot - looks like a froggy rather then a toad.

Yes, it's definitely worth it. Nice shot.

I Have some baby toads in my pond, and a couple of them decided to go for a hop around today due to the wet weather. They are about 5mm long at the moment, and as I don't have a macro lens (yet), I'll have to wait for them to grow before attemptong photos. Anyway I don't fancy taking pictures lying in wet grass in the rain.

I was thinking the same. :thinking:

Glad you got some interest back Richard.:)

Thanks everyone. I think what brought my interest back was 'getting the shot no matter what'

Have to admit my amphibian recognitian skills are a bit... non-existant. Be interested to know what we hsare our garden with

Nice one - eyes spot on in focus. Maybe would have liked to see a slightly greater DOF, ie a bit more than f/2.8. But I'm being picky.

One way to tell them apart is to lick it. :puke:

Toads secrete bufotenine which is a mildish psychotropic. If you lick the critter and your partner/spouse turns into a prince/ss, it's a toad. If he or she doesn't, better luck next time.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/30/toad_licking_dog/

Alternatively, if it has warts it's probably a toad. Or a transmogrified witch or something.

Hi, GORGEOUS ! one way to tell the difference between frog and toad, toads never turn onto a prince when kissed! :D :D :D

Lovely shot! The low angle is perfect. (y)

Back