There's a walrus in West Wales....!!!

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, you read that right, there is a Walrus in West Wales, it had originally been found basking at Broad haven, then on Sunday afternoon at Freshwater East, it then turned up off Saundersfoot yesterday. It's thought to be the same animal seen off Ireland recently and the theory goes that it fell asleep on an icepack and drifted south ending up here. Hopefully it will settle somewhere accessible for a few days. This is an incredibly rare opportunity to see this Arctic beauty in the wild. If on the slim chance anyone hears of it or actually sees it could you put post the information in here please?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56470235

If you are local it’s still off Saundersfoot this morning

From what I read..............................it may well have a very sad outcome ~ it is isolated from its fellow Walruses, underweight and limited to no food that a walrus would eat due to its massive distance from its native area.

Plus very limited options as to whether, even if in its welfare interests, could be humanely captured and translocated.

Then one thing the was made clear in the report I heard Please to leave it undisturbed as it it likely highly stressed as it is......

The last thing it needs is hoards of folk trying to get close to it for that "must have picture" :(

From what I read..............................it may well have a very sad outcome ~ it is isolated from its fellow Walruses, underweight and limited to no food that a walrus would eat due to its massive distance from its native area.

Plus very limited options as to whether, even if in its welfare interests, could be humanely captured and translocated.

Then one thing the was made clear in the report I heard Please to leave it undisturbed as it it likely highly stressed as it is......

The last thing it needs is hoards of folk trying to get close to it for that "must have picture" :(

Like many 'lost' birds that end up on our shores its unlikely to survive too long. Having spoken to someone who lives not too far from there,she has stated that folk are giving it plenty of distance, probably photographing it is unlikely. It is probably a once in a lifetime event.

I follow the Tenby RNLI facebook page. The Walrus decided their slipway was the perfect place to sun itself. It’s a bit of luck the lifeboat wasn’t needed, I can just hear the conversation with the coastguard, ‘we would love to help and launch the lifeboat but there’s a one ton Walrus blocking the slipway!’ If it wasn’t for the recent news reports the coastguard would probably be thinking there was far too much drink consumed in Tenby after the six nations win last night!

View: https://www.facebook.com/118759930889/posts/10158959808010890/

Last edited:
I went to Tenby today to see it, most people there were well behaved ..... until it hauled itself up on the old lifeboat ramp and the dog walkers and families already walking on the adjacent beach decided to get closer to it, fortunately 'MarineLife' were on hand to police the crowd keeping them at a safe distance. It is easily viewable from the cliff walk that runs behind the old and new lifeboat stations. It is huge, I would guess about the size of a Frisian cow, it is feeding on the razor clam beds just offshore. Just a shame the weather there today was pretty dire.

wr.1.1-denoise.jpg

wr.2.jpg

wr.3.1-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

wr.3.4-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7963.jpg
    DSC_7963.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
Back