There's an App for everything

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm told there's an App for everything so I'm looking for advice.

I have and I'm really pleased with TPE but I'm looking for an App that will point to where the sun will be at sunrise or sunset, during the day. I often go out in daylight hours scouting for locations and it would be great to get a better idea of the shot knowing where the sun would be.

Hope this all makes sense.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for, as TPE does just that?
You specify a location, and date, and it shows where and when sunrise / set and moon rise/set will be.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for, as TPE does just that?
You specify a location, and date, and it shows where and when sunrise / set and moon rise/set will be.

Apologies for the confusion, I want to be able to stand physically on a beach or other viewpoint during the day time and get an idea of where the sun will be at sunset or sunrise.

Last edited:
Apologies for the confusion, I want to be able to stand physically on a beach or other viewpoint during the day time and get an idea of where the sun will be at sunset or sunrise.

There is a TPE App for Android (I have it, assume the same is true for Apple) - just search for "tpe photography" :)

Sky Map (formerly Google Sky Map) is one of several apps that will do this. By default it uses the current time, but you can set 'next evening sunset', 'next morning sunrise' or any specific date/time you want in the 'time travel' options.

Last edited:
Agree with Johnathon and just checked on TPE and it does what you want. It has two lines that show the directions of the rising and setting sun.

Dave

Agree with Johnathon and just checked on TPE and it does what you want. It has two lines that show the directions of the rising and setting sun.

Dave

TPE shows the direction of the sun but not the position in the sky. It does show you the height by way of a graph but that is not easy to visualise.

TPE shows the direction of the sun but not the position in the sky. It does show you the height by way of a graph but that is not easy to visualise.

You are correct, Elliott, but the OP said,

I want to be able to stand physically on a beach or other viewpoint during the day time and get an idea of where the sun will be at sunset or sunrise.
"

and TPE will do this.

Dave

You are correct, Elliott, but the OP said,

"

and TPE will do this.

Dave

The OP also said he had tried TPE but it didn’t give the information required. From that I deduced that the OP is looking for more that just the direction of the sun. The OP said he want to know the position of the sun, not direction.

Just looked on my photo pills app and as Elliott said it pretty much does everything you need in the AR mode for both daytime and nighttime.

The OP also said he had tried TPE but it didn’t give the information required. From that I deduced that the OP is looking for more that just the direction of the sun. The OP said he want to know the position of the sun, not direction.
Surely at sunrise and sunset the direction of the sun is all that's required as the 'position' of the sun will be 'on the horizon in the given direction'.

Surely at sunrise and sunset the direction of the sun is all that's required as the 'position' of the sun will be 'on the horizon in the given direction'.

Who said anything about sunrise or sunset?
Does nobody read the OP anymore?

Not only that, not all sunrise and sunsets are taken on a flat horizon.

LightTrac is good. It gives current sun, sunrise and sunset. Also and most usefully, it has a slider that will give you the sun direction of any time of the day. You can also use it for future dates. Most useful.

It's not free, but PhotoPills is excellent for all sorts of shoot planning. Use it all the time.

As a new newbie to landscape coming from nature photography I like this thread, but will all these suggestions be relying getting a signal on the users device, and would any of them include tide times at that destination?
Apologies not Not trying to take over this thread.
Kind regards mike

Last edited:
As a new newbie to landscape coming from nature photography I like this thread, but will all these suggestions be relying getting a signal on the users device, and would any of them include tide times at that destination?
Kind regards mike

Speaking in terms of TPE and Photopills.

It depends on what you are doing. There are many features that do not require internet access, but anything to do with mapping etc will of course need access to the internet to download the maps. Saying that, the kind of features that require internet access are generally for planning a shoot and would be used before you go out.

TPE and Photopills do not include tide times.

Kind regards mike

Tide times are a whole new ball game and for me, best planned before visiting the location. I found the best one for my needs was http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england but there are quite a number of others available.

Last edited:
Back