Things are looking up!

Edit My Images
Yes
How doos people, I hope you're all well :)
I've not been on here for a little while as I've been busy getting my new life in Prague in order, sorting things like job, flat, bank acocunts and the like.

I've been working in an outsourced call centre here in Prague calling the wonderful (oh how i wish that was true) British public to sell them BT broadband. The hours have been a non-photography friendly 1:30-10pm and not being much of a mornings person I've been getting up, going work, coming home, eating then sleeping...repeat.. which hasn't left much time for photography :thumbsdown:
I have learnt a little from this job though...
1. women are the most rude and abrupt on the phone
2. a LOT of people in London don't even speak English
3. don't hang up on telesales, you'll just get put back in the system and called again, just politely hear them out and decline what they offer, it'll save you time in the long run.
4. a surprising number of people are "just going out the door", it's like the "my dog ate my homework" excuse, we know you're lying :p
5. some people ask a BT salesperson where we got their phone number from as they are ex-directory
6. Scottish people in my experience are more friendly (y)
That's about all that comes to mind for now :p

The good news though is today I got a new job working for the same company as an analyst (timesheets, sales, general data reports), I get paid more and I work a more photography friendly 9:00-5:30.

My parents are also bringing the parts for my new computer over this weekend so I finally have something to put my photos on :woot:

Things are starting to fall into place finally, so you'll be seeing a bit more of me from now on :)

Just had to share :D

Well done you.

Sure you will have plenty of photo opportunities in Prague, beautiful place!

:)

I can't wait to see pics. Glad to hear you are settling in well and finding it fun.

4. a surprising number of people are "just going out the door", it's like the "my dog ate my homework" excuse, we know you're lying

thats the only time telesales people seem ever to phone me up, either that or i'm bustin for a crap

3. don't hang up on telesales, you'll just get put back in the system and called again, just politely hear them out and decline what they offer, it'll save you time in the long run.

So, this is something I have to endure? I have no right to decline without answering the phone when I never asked to be called? Grrrr! I flippin' hate telesales! With a very large passion! :bat: Save me time? It wan't theirs to take in the first place!!!!!!

So glad you got a job .... but .....

True story, a guy was being bothered by a glazing company, constantly calling in his leisure, own, time. He respectfully told the telesales commando that he prefers to do business in business hours and requested of the said tele-terrorist would he mind calling his business number at a more convenient time. The operative said he understood perfectly and, sensing a sale, promised to call at a more reasonable time!

The number was exchanged and accepted gratefully..... the number given was that of a rival glazing company :LOL: I only wish I'd have thought of that ;)

Before anybody says anything.... it doesn't work getting your name taken off of lists :razz: :bang: :thumbsdown:

Col_M - I'm glad that things are looking up and looking forward to your posts!

Regarding telesales I signed up to this and it worked a treat: Linky

Calls dropped right off!!!:D

Congrats on the promotion Col, sounds like you've made the right sort of impression (y)

We could have told you #6 without you having to go there though :p

Grrrr! I flippin' hate telesales! With a very large passion! :bat:

I honestly don't mind it, partly because I do some too. I do tend to be polite, hear them out and then say no thanks. I don't like it when if you've said no they persist in trying to get an appointment.

My wife on the other hand spits all sorts of abuse down the line as soon as she realises who it is.

Col_M - I'm glad that things are looking up and looking forward to your posts!

Regarding telesales I signed up to this and it worked a treat: Linky

Calls dropped right off!!!:D

Unless you still continue to get calls from foreign countries, then the telesales peeps don't have a clue what you are talking about :bang:

Anyhow, glad things are looking up for you - I have just set foot upon the emigration treadmill :D

Col_M

Really pleased to hear you're settling in but have to say that telesales is one of the most intrusive and anti-social professions in the world. There's absolutley no excuse for the invasion of privacy and, a result, if I don't know the number that is calling I dont answer my phone. This is not right and it shouldn't be that way.

Still, congratulations on the promotion and look forward to seeing some pictures of that beautiful city soon (y)

Nice one Col, hope your enjoying it over there, i was your neck of the woods last month, very nice, but a bit cold though.

1. women are the most rude and abrupt on the phone - in RL too ;)
2. a LOT of people in London don't even speak English - cest' la vie
3. don't hang up on telesales, you'll just get put back in the system and called again, just politely hear them out and decline what they offer, it'll save you time in the long run. - Interrupt and politely decline the offer, ask them not to call you again (ever)
4. a surprising number of people are "just going out the door", it's like the "my dog ate my homework" excuse, we know you're lying - We know you know and we don't care :p
5. some people ask a BT salesperson where we got their phone number from as they are ex-directory - If they are ex-d BT have no right to be phoning them trying to sell stuff, so valid question there.
6. Scottish people in my experience are more friendly - bah!

/edit Enjoy Prague :)

I called BT and activated a feature whereby if you withhold (dial 141) your number when calling me my phone won't accept the call and you get a recorded message. I never, EVER get telesales or any other unsolicited calls because ... you guessed it, the ALL withhold thier numbers by default. :)

Cheers guys :)
It feels so good to be home at a reasonable time :)
TBH, i wasn't really standing in the corner of "telesales" as a concept, more in the corner of the guys calling, it's not he best job in the world and most people work there out of neccesity. I know the majority of people wouldn't work in telesales if they had an option and probably don't want to be calling you either, in the end they're only doing their job and being abusive to someone who has no choice in calling you and can't do anything about the situation doesn't help anyone.
I can see why a few people feel strongly about it though ;)

steep said:
If they are ex-d BT have no right to be phoning them trying to sell stuff, so valid question there.
ex-directory means just that, they aren't listed in the phone directory, it's nothing to do with opting out of sales calls, sure it helps but it doesn't mean you won't get sales calls, it just limits the places companies can find your number ;) you're better off going to a the TPS link that Dark Star posted :) I signed my parents up to that and they never ever get sales calls other than companies who they either have a contract or do business with.
Steep said:
Interrupt and politely decline the offer, ask them not to call you again (ever)
Sounds good to me, just remember to be genuinely polite, not the condescending and sarcastic polite as that will just get their back up and less likely to help :)

Anyway it's all behind me now, onward and upward ;)

You're surprised at that !!
TBH yeah lol
I'm from Plymouth where you don't see many "foreign" (can of worms i know) people at all. I knew places like London, Birmingham and Bradford had lots but not that many!! :eek:

It winds me up that so many people live there and still can't speak English, hell even i'm trying to learn Czech because i feel ashamed and disrespectful that i live here and can't speak it yet. When in Rome...

p.s. on a related note did you know škoda should actually be pronounced shkoda :p

in the end they're only doing their job and being abusive to someone who has no choice in calling you and can't do anything about the situation doesn't help anyone.

Sure they have a choice. If no-one took jobs doing telesales then there wouldnt be a telesales industry would there? The only way you can take a job like that is if you enjoy it. IMO anyway. :)

Anyway, glad to hear you're liking Prague. I visitied last year, and found it to be a lovely place! Some rather serious sausages tho!

either that or i'm bustin for a crap

Why not take the phone with you and let the telesales operative enjoy your time together :LOL:

I'm sure the sound of a couple of logs dropping will be enough for them to hang up :D

Sure they have a choice. If no-one took jobs doing telesales then there wouldnt be a telesales industry would there? The only way you can take a job like that is if you enjoy it. IMO anyway. :)

Sorry Joe - I just have to disagree with that. It's nonsense! Although I am pleased for you that you've been fortunate enough never to have to have taken a job which you hate just to pay the mortgage, not everyone is that lucky and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Keeping a roof over your and your families head has to come first.

Sorry Joe - I just have to disagree with that. It's nonsense! Although I am pleased for you that you've been fortunate enough never to have to have taken a job which you hate just to pay the mortgage, not everyone is that lucky and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Keeping a roof over your and your families head has to come first.

Yeah, i hate work :thumbsdown:

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to be polite to people who ring me on my own phone at home trying to sell me stuff I don't want anyway. The cheek of it defies belief! My number is ex directory and I'm very fussy who I give it to but it doesn't seem to stop these people getting my number!

I always tell them politely and very firmly that I'm not interested. If they still persist then I really tell them what I think of them. A more demeaning job than pestering people on the phone in their own homes is difficult to imagine.

Back