Things that fascinate you

I just came across this very short video clip and it really does amaze me how people can come up with this tech.

Fascinating!

I don't have a YT vid to relate to with this but when something breaks, I like to know why. I had a Mk2 Cavalier. It kept using coolant, which of course it shouldn't. It got the better of me one day (I'm talking 1987) and I decided to investigate. I ended up taking the head off, stripping that and investigating. Long story short, I eventually found a hairline crack, between a valve port and a coolant gallery. It was one of those things I was fortunate to see, it was that small but I now understood where the water was going and why I had a slightly steamy exhaust, as well as slightly milky oil, in the cold months.

It may have been repairable but I ended up sourcing a used head, complete with valves, tappets etc. I stripped and rebuilt that one, got it skimmed, effectively rebuilding the top end of the engine, re-using what I could but replacing what I had to. Changed the timing belt and water pump while I was at it.

Never lost a drop of coolant after that.

..and to think that I'm struggling just to find out why my latest Flickr upload goes to the top of page 1 and not last on my last page.. 4 :D ( See Talk Computers/Websites Tech)

Fascinating!

I don't have a YT vid to relate to with this but when something breaks, I like to know why. I had a Mk2 Cavalier. It kept using coolant, which of course it shouldn't. It got the better of me one day (I'm talking 1987) and I decided to investigate. I ended up taking the head off, stripping that and investigating. Long story short, I eventually found a hairline crack, between a valve port and a coolant gallery. It was one of those things I was fortunate to see, it was that small but I now understood where the water was going and why I had a slightly steamy exhaust, as well as slightly milky oil, in the cold months.

It may have been repairable but I ended up sourcing a used head, complete with valves, tappets etc. I stripped and rebuilt that one, got it skimmed, effectively rebuilding the top end of the engine, re-using what I could but replacing what I had to. Changed the timing belt and water pump while I was at it.

Never lost a drop of coolant after that.

I do a lot of work on my own cars and quite often I'm looking at various parts and how it all works together and think, who on earth came up with all this! lol Of course I know it's not like it was suddenly invented from nothing and it's all been a progressive development over time from a more basic design, but it's still incredibly impressive some of the tech we have now.

Even things we probably never really much thought to such as 4G/5G. to think that so much data can be invisibly transferred through thin air really is amazing.

Gravity. Especially as I get older! Do clocks really go slower as they have to push the minute hand up the left side of the clock against the effect of gravity and then faster as it goes down the right hand side? That might explain why it always seemed longer to get to "going home" time when I finished at 5 rather than 5.30.

on You Tube i love the urban explorers i can watch them for hours

I am constantly fascinated by trivia. For example, why are mirrors affected by gravity? Look in a mirror and left is right and right is left but top and bottom are correct.
Turn the mirror through 90 degrees and it should reverse but it doesent so mirrors must be influenced by gravity.
In the same vein, looking at all the amazing structures which were built in pre-history, There has been a huge ammount of resaerch put in to how things such as the pyramids and cathedrals could have been built with such heavy pieces of stone. Surely it is obvious that Newton only invented gravity in 1666 so until then nothing weighed anything and the huge stone blocks could be moved around very easily becuse they weighed nothing.

Back