Things to watch on first time macro?

Suomi

Reet Nice Feller
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiring a macro lens for next week (Sigma 150mm) to go on my D300.

Never having done macro before, and after looking at Hacker's helpful guide, is there any do's and dont's to bear in mind.

I have a tripod and a flash which could be used off camera is needed. All that I have in my mind is shots of flowers and maybe bees or hover flies if lucky.

Is there any tricks such as using sugar'ed water that may help?

Cheers

Flowers are great, if obvious, starting point. Different colours, textures, shapes all offer challenge and it's a good way to explore the lens and the macro medium. Explore the possibilities of depth of field and light on the subject. Also there's the possibility if shooting in situ or creating shots inside with different light sources. Although outside you might get lucky with insects and nature generally.

Have fun!

You can hold the flash to one side of the subject and have an assistant hold a white piece of paper on the other side to serve as a reflector.

A ring flash is best.

If you want to get a shot of a hover fly, best thing is to set up next to a nice flower and wait. No point running after any you wont keep up lol.

If you can't find any bugs or flies try spraying water onto pants or flowers.
It gives a nice effect even better on a spiders web. You can use most bottles from washing up to perfume bottles but make sure you wash them out.

I have tried using sugared water but I over did it and the insects just got suck in the sugar. Best thing is just wait for a sunny day when all the insects are out or go to places like butterfly farms there are quite a few around the country.

If you get up early you can catch the bugs asleep so you can take you time getting the best photo, also they look stunning with dew on them.

You can hold the flash to one side of the subject and have an assistant hold a white piece of paper on the other side to serve as a reflector.

A ring flash is best.

If you want to get a shot of a hover fly, best thing is to set up next to a nice flower and wait. No point running after any you wont keep up lol.

If you can't find any bugs or flies try spraying water onto pants or flowers.
It gives a nice effect even better on a spiders web. You can use most bottles from washing up to perfume bottles but make sure you wash them out.

I have tried using sugared water but I over did it and the insects just got suck in the sugar. Best thing is just wait for a sunny day when all the insects are out or go to places like butterfly farms there are quite a few around the country.

If you get up early you can catch the bugs asleep so you can take you time getting the best photo, also they look stunning with dew on them.

Fantastic advice. I know what i'm up to this morning. thankyou :)

Back