Think i need to change my bag... again

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all

I currently have a slingshot 300AW which until I went to focus was big enough for my kit...

However since the purchase of the Sigma 100-300 f/4, it's now too small - even though I've already sold my canon 70-300 IS lens.

The problem is the lens itself - when attached to the camera I can just about fit it in the bag (but its a VERY tight fit), but when i've got a different lens fitted, the sigma lens is just too big to safely store as even with the dividers taken out it doesn't fit in the part where lenses are supposed to go.

So, I'm thinking of getting a kit bag that will take the following:

40D + Grip (will have either the 100-300 or 24-105 fitted)
30D w/ 18-50 2.8 attached (won't ever change lens on this)
100-300 f/4 sigma w/hood
24-105 f/4L w/hood
50mm 1.8
430EX flashgun
plus space for all the filters, memory cards etc.

I know its a long shot but I'd like it to be as portable as possible (i.e. not a suitcase), and an all weather/rain cover would also be nice.

Do any of you guys with even more kit than me have any suggestions?

Have a look at the lowe pro mini trekker AW (all weather). I got one last week for only £60 new. Should fit all that, and it's compact.

I keep my Sigma 100-300 f4 in its own softback and leave it at home unless I know I'm going to need it. I keep a Tamron 28-300 in my bag for the opportunist moments where the 24-105 IS L isn't long enough.

I have a Mini trekker AW and I don't think you'll get all that in. You can get the two bodies in with short / medium lenses attached, but to get the big Sigma in there as well, I'll think you'll need to take the lens of the 30D or leave something behind.

Hmm, you might be right. Is the Sigma 100-300 significantly bigger than the Sigma 70-200 2.8? As I can get the following in the mini trekker AW:

Nikon D3 body, with nikkor 28-70 2.8 attached (biiiig fat lens)
Nikon D200 body
Sigma 70-200 2.8
Nikon 18-70
Nikon SB800 flashgun (in case)
and room for 1 more sensible sized lens

This is a tight fit admittedly, but is room.

can i have first dibs on the slingshot if its up for grabs and in decent nick with a fair price......

I haven't decided what to do with it yet, I may keep it for track days as I do like the ease of access without having to take it off my back.

If I do decide to get rid I will post it in the for sale forum and send you a PM at the same time.

As an aside, for the potential replacement, I've been looking at the Tamrac Expedition 8, looks great but may be far too large for the kit I currently have.

OK

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

40D with grip and Sigma 100-300 f4 EX down centre with one extra removable bit of padding at the bottom.

Down RH side: nested set of extension tubes, 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-300
Down LH side: Sigma 1.4 TC, 24-105IS L, flashgun, but room to sacrifice one of these for an extra body without lens attached

Feasable yes, not much room for extra stuff after this though. Will take photo in better light in morning on my mobile.

Thanks for that, looking forward to seeing it all in there!

I have a Mini Trekker and I can fit all this in

Nikon D70s
50mm
10.5mm
18-70mm
60mm
80-200mm
SB-25 x2
SB-26
Lee Filter pack x2
Omni Bounce
Skyport Case
Kasier Bounce Flash Adpator x3
Super Clamp with ball head
80-200mm Lens Hood

Now thats a kitted out bag!!! I'll post a picture with it all in if you want hahah :LOL:

OK - 1st layout, Camera attached to 100-300

HPIM1345.jpg

top - extension tubes, nifty fifty, tamron 28-300
middle - camera / grip with 100-300 attached. There is room for the t/c added as well
bottom - TC, 24-105IS L, flash

Layout 2
HPIM1346.jpg

top - as before
middle - camera / grip with 24-105IS L, Flash, TC
bottom 100-300

Ideally I'd like an inch more room in both directions, but it is possible.

And the mini trekker fits as cabin baggage....if that makes any difference to your choice.

Have a look at the CompuTrekker AW. It's hold a little more than the Mini Trekker including space for a 15" laptop with tripod attachments without looking as bulky as the Vertex 300. I have both and they are really good. I use the CompuTrekker when I don't need to carry all my gear. The Vertex is used when I need everything and am more localized and not having to do too much walking as it can be fairly heavy when fully laden including tripod. Lowepro also claim in their literature that the Vertex 300 is cabin cargo size ?-)

I've also got a Billingham 445 (for when I feel like being posh :)) This bag – surprisingly – holds the same amount of gear as the Vertex but the tripod I strap over my shoulder.

I've had a right old time with bags recently and generally you never really appreciate the individual pluses and minuses until you get the buggers home and start organizing the packing of gear and strapping on that you get a real feel for whether it's the right one for you. Another good bag I tried was the Lowepro Fastback 350. It's got a nicely accessible side opening for getting to your camera without having to unstrap it also can hold up to a 17" laptop.

My next flirtation this week will be with the Tamrac Expedition 8 to replace my Vertx 300. It's basically the same size but l feel it looks a little nicer and has a better range of different attachments you can buy should you run out of interior space. Will let you know the lowdown on that after I've tried it out.

But the Fastback 350 doesn't have anything to hold a tripod, although as you say it will take a laptop..

Back