Thinking about a Bridge Camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from Tulipone's thread here, im thinking about getting a bridge camera. I love my 50d and its capabilities but im getting a bit wrapped up in the technicalities rather than just getting out there and enjoying taking photo's.

Ive no intention of selling the 50 more thinking if i adjust (sell) some of my gear and get a bridge camera as a take everywhere camera rather than taking a big bag and loads of lenses and accessories etc.

The last bridge camera i had was a Fuji S9500 and it wasnt very impressive. Ive no idea about bridge camera's at the moment so im after some pointers.

Its to take pic's of the kids, a bit of wildlife and some scenery. Would like a decent zoom and if poss be able to shoot in raw (but could live with out).

If your still reading im open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Why not look at a second hand DSLR like a 400D with a decent 'Do it all lens'? surely that would be better than a bridge camera?? maybe use your existing 24-105L lens?

I don't actually know but just my thoughts....

Following on from Tulipone's thread here, im thinking about getting a bridge camera. I love my 50d and its capabilities but im getting a bit wrapped up in the technicalities rather than just getting out there and enjoying taking photo's.

Ive no intention of selling the 50 more thinking if i adjust (sell) some of my gear and get a bridge camera as a take everywhere camera rather than taking a big bag and loads of lenses and accessories etc.

The last bridge camera i had was a Fuji S9500 and it wasnt very impressive. Ive no idea about bridge camera's at the moment so im after some pointers.

Its to take pic's of the kids, a bit of wildlife and some scenery. Would like a decent zoom and if poss be able to shoot in raw (but could live with out).

If your still reading im open to suggestions!

Thanks!

I've just bought the Canon G10 for that very purpose. It's got enough control to keep it interesting, but is small enough to pop in a pocket to take with you.

I believe the new Nikon P80 is very good.

Andy

Why not look at a second hand DSLR like a 400D with a decent 'Do it all lens'? surely that would be better than a bridge camera?? maybe use your existing 24-105L lens?

I don't actually know but just my thoughts....

Im happy with the 50d (sold a 400d to get it). Was looking for a more all in one solution you know, to try and go a bit more compact but still have a lot of the features.

The Canon G10 (not a true bridge camera i know), Canon SX10 ,Nikon P90 and Olympus SP-590 are the ones that have caught my eye so far.

Thanks for replying

I have 1dmkIII but for the same reason as Euan I am thinking of Pansonic DMC-FZ28. I really like the idea and my wife and I love our Lumix camera's so Panasonic is top of the list. Certainly food for thought....

Just been googling the Panny FZ28, looks like a nice camera, another one for the list.

The Fuji 9500 has put me off fuji bridge camera's to be honest. Id be looking at a budget of £350 max if i have a clear out.

Do any bridge camera's come with optical view finders or are they all electronic?

that is high price, although I suppose the Panasonic is well priced. As I say, My life loves her Lumix, she takes better shots than me on my 1d and I believe the quality is brilliant. It appears that action shots, as normal is the case are diffficult to capture on compacts. But the Lumix really is an amazing camera, quality

i think i'll need to raise some cash and start trying some out. The lumix sounds good though. thanks for the advice.

I really wouldn't buy a bridge camera again.

Think of a bottom line slr with a really budget 17-250mm lens

The Canon G10 (not a true bridge camera i know), Canon SX10 ,Nikon P90 and Olympus SP-590 are the ones that have caught my eye so far.

I ask this purely out of interest, what is the definition of a true bridge camera?

Pete

In my eyes its basically a mini dslr with a non-removeable lens, that has all the manual controls. Thats my eyes though !!

Back