Thinking about a home printer- advice?

Name
Mark D
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to take control of printing my work and am asking here some advice
Budget wise up to £600 and have been toying with the Canon Pro 10s any thoughts? Alternative printers?
Ta

I’d go with the Epson as well, used them for 20 years and have the scp800 at the moment.only difference is I’d use Epson inks.

Think about how big you want to be able to print. Some printers have restrictions. Do you want to do panoramas on long papers, use a roll, or A4s? I believe Canons have a limit on paper length (don't quote me though - check!)

Think about what paper you want to use. Some printers have a max paper weight. Most of the fine art stuff is 300gsm+.

And as for paper. Get some test packs and try some different stuff. I started with Ilford papers, but when I moved on to Canson and Hahnemuhle the difference was huge. Fotospeed is a good "middle ground" for price vs quality.
Good for you on investing too. Just like with tripods, people often spend thousands on a camera just to put a 600x400 image on the internet and get a 10p print from DSCL.
Either way - good luck with whatever you decide - and if you want a handful of different papers, I think I've got some spare I can send over. Just PM me.

Think about how big you want to be able to print. Some printers have restrictions. Do you want to do panoramas on long papers, use a roll, or A4s? I believe Canons have a limit on paper length (don't quote me though - check!)

Think about what paper you want to use. Some printers have a max paper weight. Most of the fine art stuff is 300gsm+.

And as for paper. Get some test packs and try some different stuff. I started with Ilford papers, but when I moved on to Canson and Hahnemuhle the difference was huge. Fotospeed is a good "middle ground" for price vs quality.
Good for you on investing too. Just like with tripods, people often spend thousands on a camera just to put a 600x400 image on the internet and get a 10p print from DSCL.
Either way - good luck with whatever you decide - and if you want a handful of different papers, I think I've got some spare I can send over. Just PM me.

Thanks for the comment.
I had a Canon printer before for general stuff a few years back and it was very good with no clogging etc.
So I may go the Canon route- i shoot with a Fuji X100F now after my nerve condition and thought that some of my photos needed to be printed.
I use Loxley Colour and whilst I was more than happy about the quality the experience was sterile and I wasn’t enjoying that part of the process - hence this thread.
It’s not about cost per print it’s about as you put it about investment

Thanks

Agree with Ian... Yes Canon do a have restriction on paper length and also impose a larger border on some Fine Art Media but if you are only looking to print to a max of 13in x 19in the Pro 10s will do the job as well as the next printer. (caveat... I use Canon Printers)

The clogging issues that used to be associated with Epson are I believe long consigned to memory, the main difference AFAIK is that you can change the print head on a Canon (albeit very expensive) whereas you cannot on an Epson. If you are wanting to print longer than that 19inches then Epson would be the place to look.

Once you start preparing your own prints it does become addictive and you are right, taking control is most satisfying.

Good Luck.

some of my photos needed to be printed.

They do. IMO, it's the last part of making a photograph. Going to the trouble of composing, getting the exposure right, choosing the settings you want, capturing the moment, and (potentially) post processing all end up giving you *something*. The final step is creating something physical to hold.

I've yet to meet someone who hasn't enjoyed the outcome of that process. It's like hitting that perfect golf shot. All the bits in between (paper selection, ICC nonsense, calibration & potential frustration) are little hurdles well worth jumping.

A lot will depend... the IP8750 is nearer the lower cost and spec line of Canons printers and is intended as a more general purpose printer with a six ink dye system (includes a pigment black).

The Pro 100s is an 8 ink dye printer that is intended more for photographic uses and the Pro 10s is its 10 ink pigment based brother... the Pro printers also come with a good app that works with a number of image editing programs.

It is very doubtful that you will see a huge amount of difference in the output quality under normal printing, if you do Monochrome printing then the 100s or the 10s would be the better bet.

The only thing i wonder about (I don't own one so cannot test) is whether the IP8750 uses the black pigment ink when printing or if it has a separate 'photo' black.

Longevity between the different ink sets isn't really a problem these days. My choice was for a Pro 100s for all my needs up to 13 x 19 and would be my own recommendation but the IP8750 won't be too far behind.

Last edited:
I own the Canon Pixma ip8750 and it suits me, I'm more than happy with the results. I looked at the Pro printers but they're too big for my office space. That and I only print A4 and on the, odd occasion, A3.

The only thing i wonder about (I don't own one so cannot test) is whether the IP8750 uses the black pigment ink when printing or if it has a separate 'photo' black.
The IP8750 has two blacks - one for text only and one for images only. No idea whether either is dye or pigment.

The pro 10s does have limitations as mentioned above, also you won't find an continuous ink supply for it...

But if you can live with it's limitations it's a cracking printer, I actually last year had mine shut down for several months, without any issues, with nossels blocking etc.

I have a iP8750 and find it great. Reason I picked it was mainly because the footprint was smaller then the Pro series, plus I only need to print A3.

It does colour and mono fine plus the widest panoramic I have printed is 210x594mm put I had to make a custom paper size for it.

It has handled all the photo paper I have put through it no problem plus some heavy weight I tried a while ago.

Just want to say that this has been a helpful topic, thanks.

I've been wantint to do home prints for years and I didn't realise it could be done for a dew hundred £'s.

The IP8750 seems perfect, but could I ask why you didn't give the Pro 100s a look?

While the talk is about home printers. Has anyone experienced the Epson EcoTank series and are they any good for office use?

Back