Thinking about a Nifty Fifty

Name
Ads
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to add a lens to my kit as at the moment I only own the standard 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Canon 400D. A friend is going to give me a 70-200mm Tamron for nothing so I think that will be handy but I've been looking at some shots taken with a Nifty Fifty and really like the style.

Advice, please!

No advice needed..............get it!! :D

i bought one a month ago, and it hasnt been off of the camera yet, i really love it..... so to conclude...... get one......

I have to agree, although my first thougths would be to upgrade the kit lens, a nifty fifty, is always worth having in a bag. I love it for portraite and even close ups of flowers and stuff, because it is so sharp, you can crop to get the close ups you need.

For £60, it is a gem.

For the little amount of money it costs, it's quite possibly one of the best and must have lenses you can get!

YES!

:agree:

Great, Cheap, SHARP, fun lens.

its not the best build quality in the world, but if (sorry, when) mine breaks i'll get another :D

cheers
watred.

I had a nifty fifty delivered on friday.
I've not had much chance to use it outdoors yet but so far I am very pleased with the results indoors.
For doing portaits it's a much better option than the standard kit lens.

I want to try and do some portraits of my niece, who is only about 15 months old, want to do some really natural, sharp, candid pictures, would the 50 be the tool for the job?

im thinking to get it too... It IS damn cheap for the good lens :)

Here's one of my son with the 50 1.8. Not "the perfect composition" but it's what the other half liked!!!
IMG_2434modded.jpg

Edited to add, no PP. Straight out of the camera and turned B+W.

It's an absolutely fantastic lens, as others have said, you won't find better for the money, it's a steal.

I'd never been into portrait work, until I got myself a nifty fifty, now I love taking portraits with it. It's such a nice, easy lens to use, with great results.

This was taken with my 400D & nifty fifty @ f/2.8.

2700846710_efd28aa81a_o.jpg

This was taken with my 40D & nifty fifty, also @ f/2.8.

2728300834_a1234c7f62_o.jpg

It's such a sharp lens, and it's so small you can just stick it in your bag and forget about it until needed. However, you'll probably have it on the camera more than your kit lens, thats normally what happens.

I got mine from kerso (via this board) its fantastic, taken some lovely photos with it.

I just ordered one from Kelso on ebay, £65 brand new + postage, not bad cosidering that i was bidding for a good few used ones over the past few weeks & they all sold for over £50 plus postage.

The 50 1.8 is a great lens, but my advice would be - beg, steal or borrow the extra money and buy the 50 1.4 - its without doubt an L without the red ring . . . .
I've owned both, and IMO the 1.4 is streets ahead of its little brother in build quality, AF speed and accuracy, and above all, Image quality . . .

Back