Thinking about an all-rounder flash unit

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't suppose there's such a thing as a good, all-round flash unit? I have a ring flash which I use for macro but for indoor and outdoor use I'm starting to think about moving up from the pop-up flash of my 400D.

I expect I'm going to start with it camera mounted with the prospect of going off-camera when I see the benefits.

Canon or other make? Apart from making sure I go after something which will communicate with the 400D, what are the pitfalls for a novice to avoid please?

Thanks in advance

430EX is a fantastic flash, it'll work perfectly with your 400D :) Depends on your budget though!

I got a 430 EX II a couple weeks ago. It's transformed my indoor photography just through ceiling bounce :clap:

the Sigma 530 EX Super DG is pretty good, although the 430II might be simpler. It goes down to 1/128th power which is cool. Plus I got mine for £80 :)

Canon-dedicated Metz 48 AF-1. Without a doubt.

If you're feeling flush, go for a 58 AF-1 instead.

If you are serious about flash and the Canon ettl11 system then the Canon EX580 is really the way to go, especially if you are thinking of extending the system in future with more than one flash gun.

It pivets, just about any direction, can be used in manual, can control other Canon flash-guns and certain functions can be controlled from your 400D camera.

If you just want a basic flash which is compatible with the Canon system then Curry's are doing the Sunpax PF30X for £40. Though it wont act as a slave flash.

Phil

A separate flash is very versatile, far more so than the anemic built-in flash supplied with the camera.

A separate flash is much more powerful.

A separate flash can be bounced to provide natural looking lighting.

A separate flash can be equipped with a diffuser reflector to greatly improve the IQ when bouncing.

Most EOS flashes except the 220EX can be used in the hi-speed sync mode which allows for easy fill flash work outdoors. You don't have to keep the shutter speed below 1/250 second when using HSS.

Bouncing the flash equipped with a diffuser reflector will give you a quantum improvement over the on-camera flash. However, to bring your imagery up to another level of quality, use an off camera cord and a flash bracket which will keep the flash over the lens in both horizontal and vertical shooting positions.

You can fabricate your own diffuser reflector:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

Or buy a commercially supplied one such as the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro (DFD Pro) which is my favorite:

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/models/

I personally like a "camera-flip" bracket rather than a "flash-flip" bracket because with the "camera flip" bracket, your flash is pointed in the right direction to bounce. Using a "flash-flip" bracket requires the photographer to realign the flash between vertical and horizontal shots.

The 430EX or the more expensive and more versatile 580EX flashes are great. However if funds are limited, don't fail to consider a used 550EX or 420EX flash. I have both of these units and they are very viable tools.

See this site for some great flash information:

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

Back