Thinking about buying a 550D

Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone give me any advice on the 550D for doing local soccer shoots. At the moment I have had a 300D for the last 6 years. Is it much better or not a lot better. I don't want to spend a lot on a new camera as I'm wanting to get a lens as well in the near future.

much better!!! great metering system(same as used on the 7D) and the same sensor! performs very well at high ISO. Only shoots 3.7FPS but if youre using a 300D im sure its something similar.

Good glass is whats really needed to harness the best out of the 18mp sensors on Canons new cameras

Now is a great time to buy the 550D with the price dropping from the release of the 600D.

Your old lenses will work on this camera but you could invest in a nice wide angel zoom lens, go for a more up market lens and if your buying second hand you will get some great deals.

Let us know what you get :)

Yes I'm looking for a lens which I'll be able to get some good action pics under floodlights aswell. Any suggestions at the minimum I'll be needing.

Personally, for similar money I'd get a 40D/50D. Much more FPS so ideal as a sports camera. Balances much better with larger lenses like 70-200mm f/2.8 too.

Personally, for similar money I'd get a 40D/50D. Much more FPS so ideal as a sports camera. Balances much better with larger lenses like 70-200mm f/2.8 too.

Would agree completely, although I'm more into cricket than football (but that should mean a huge difference).

Have to agree with above, if you are shooting sports especially (y)

Unless you really "want" or "need" the video modes the 40/50D would probably suit you better IMHO. they have better focusing than the 550D, better feel, a lot tougher and as pointed out shoot twice as fast as the 550D.

The metering on the 550D is more advanced than the 40/50D but to be honest my 40D performs very well, even in low light.

You can get a very good 40/50D for the price of a new 550D and still have quiet a few quid left to put towards a lens (y)

I'd say go for a 40/50D as well. It's not so much the fps that's important, but the on body camera controls as opposed to menu driven ones.

Any advice on a lens for football action under floodlights would be more than welome.:shrug:

70-200mm f/2.8! Oh wait I have one for sale... ;)

Seriously though, it's a great lens. Impeccable build quality and great optics. Only downside is the size.

Unfortunately, Arthur is going to struggle to see the classifieds, but I agree that the 70-200 is a good choice of lens. For £700, he'd probably be looking at the 2.8f non-IS version (I also can't see what you're offering!)

Another recommendation for the 550d here! I personally find the fps fine for sports, but if it's going to take up the majority of your photography maybe you could be swayed by something slightly faster.

Just a friendly warning, but you'll get in trouble trying to deal outside of the classifieds.

Back