Thinking of a new compact camera...

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I really enjoy using my current camera (Nikon D750). I like pretty much everything about it and haven't seen anything else that has made me want to consider selling it. It is a big old lump though and I have been thinking of getting a 4/3 or 1" sensor compact camera with integral zoom lens such as a Panasonic LX100 or similar.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts as I am a bit concerned that I wouldn't get the IQ and flexibility of the D750 or, on the other hand, the D750 would just gather dust in a cupboard?

What do you think? Good or bad idea?

My budget not set but I would imagine it would be about £500. I don't have a preference for any particular make really but I do get a staff discount with Panasonic so would potentially err towards that but that isn't a deal breaker if there is something else that is a better camera.

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, I think it's a good idea.

I like small cameras but one thing that puts me off is the perhaps irrational fear of getting a dust bunny and not being able to clean it. I know that a fixed lens camera is arguably less likely to suffer contamination but in my mind it could happen and if we want to Google the issue no doubt we'll find unhappy people who've had it happen.

I have Panasonic GX9 and GX80 and a teeny tiny kit zoom so I'm not sure I'd benefit much from a LX100. Maybe a GX80 with a compact prime or the tiny kit zoom could be worth a quick look? Despite my dust bunny phobia I also have a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" compact with a 25-250mm zoom, or something like that. It's genuinely coat pocketable, which is a big plus, and the only real downside is that the lens is decidedly soft at some lengths and you'll see this if you look very closely but it is still fine for normal viewing. The image quality can't really match MFT but it aint too bad. There's a thread here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

Hi

I have a d750 too, and have recently bought a Sony RX100m3 and am happy with it.

Fits nicely in my bag and also does video.

I went from D5300 to D5300 + Canon G7X to Panasonic GX80 .... or that's how it seems to be going.

In other words ... the G7X (1") didn't replace the D5300 (Nik DX) but it was good to have both, partly to suit the mood.

But now the GX80 (M43), not a pocket camera but not a bulky DSLR, is the one that sees the action, the others gather dust in a cupboard. ;)

Nah, that's not entirely true ... I plan to take the G7X only on holiday with me to Lisbon over Xmas. :D

I have an Olympus E-M10 with 14 mm pancake lens for casual and holiday use; I also have a 14-40mm zoom that is on my wife's Olly E-PL9 most of the time, if I want longer focal length and zoom. This combination works for me instead of a compact camera. I guess my phone is the other alternative.

Thanks for the replies. I am coming around to idea of something smaller and flexible for taking on holiday or just popping in my coat pocket for trips into London etc. I like the idea of MFT as the bigger sensor and better IQ appeals having had an FX camera. I'm not going to rule out the 1" cameras though as they are more pocket sized.

I have been using the camera finder function on Flickr and there are some very impressive shots on there from cameras in the line up I have been considering.
@d00d - how do you get on with the EVF on the GX80?

It certainly feels like there are too many options at the moment!

D750 only gets an outing when the advantages it has outweigh the weight advantage a Fuji kit has. RX100-3 is the easy, light option that will slip into a shirt pocket and gives enough IQ in decent light to allow A3+ prints. Obviously limited to its focal range but a small price to pay for portability.

Hi All,

I really enjoy using my current camera (Nikon D750). I like pretty much everything about it and haven't seen anything else that has made me want to consider selling it. It is a big old lump though and I have been thinking of getting a 4/3 or 1" sensor compact camera with integral zoom lens such as a Panasonic LX100 or similar.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts as I am a bit concerned that I wouldn't get the IQ and flexibility of the D750 or, on the other hand, the D750 would just gather dust in a cupboard?

What do you think? Good or bad idea?

My budget not set but I would imagine it would be about £500. I don't have a preference for any particular make really but I do get a staff discount with Panasonic so would potentially err towards that but that isn't a deal breaker if there is something else that is a better camera.

Many thanks for your help.
I tried various things as a lighter setup to my FF gear including m4/3, Canon G7x, Sony RX100-III and Fuji, and in the end m4/3 works best for me. For me the 1” sensor of the G7x and RX100 was too much of a drop in IQ, plus they’re too small and fiddly to use the controls so best suited to point and shoot imo. Fuji’s nice, but there were things about the rendering I didn’t like plus the weather sealed lenses are starting to get heavy again.

I settled on the EM1/EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 as a travel system, IQ is excellent. It’s noticeably lighter than say the D750 with something like the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 plus it can take pretty much any weather that you can throw at it. I just have mine on a sling strap the whole time I’m walking around on hols or days out, I prefer this over getting a camera in and out of my pocket. Whilst the RX100’s are pocketable I wouldn’t call the ‘comfortable’ pocketable in shorts, shirts, jeans etc imo.

Last edited:
The GX80 has the field sequential evf that some don't like as some see a rainbow effect. I don't see that but I do wish they'd used a better one or maybe it's the optics that are the problem. I think it certainly helps to try to keep your eye centred.

@d00d - how do you get on with the EVF on the GX80?

... never used it :D ... or I may have used it once or twice with the Pana 100-300, but never used that lens much either. (so far).

I never got on too well with the 12-32 kit lens either, liking a bit more reach, also there's something about the size & weight of the body that seem unbalanced with such a tiny lens. My favourites are ... 45-150, 12-60, 25 f/1.7 in that order.

I seem to always manage well .... handheld, waist level, wrist strap, screen flipped up.

Another thing re the GX80 ... I have the focus point centralised so I know where it is, and there's a conveniently positioned Fn1 button to highlight it if need.

The GX80 has the field sequential evf that some don't like as some see a rainbow effect. I don't see that but I do wish they'd used a better one or maybe it's the optics that are the problem. I think it certainly helps to try to keep your eye centred.

I don't see that rainbow either, but things do look a bit weird. As I say, I manage perfectly without EVF but a tilt up screen is essential. Perhaps it was the G7X (no EVF, no option) that taught me the technique.

The discreet street technique. ;)

Last edited:
Some very good options there - thank you all.

I'll have to try the EVF as I don't think I could use just the screen. That may change of course once I actually try it over a reasonable time. Thanks for the heads up on the tilting screen though - I hadn't thought of that as being an essential thing to have. I feel I am erring towards MFT though as I don't think I would want to take too much of an IQ hit compared to the D750.

I think a trip to my local camera shop is in order to see how various different models feel in my hand.

One more thing, how is high ISO on MFT now (or what practical high ISO do you typically use)? When I first looked in to them a few years ago it was a bit of a poor area for most models.

My GX9 and GX80 go to ISO 25600 and I'll use any ISO if it's a choice between taking the picture and not bothering. Peoples opinions on what's acceptable will vary but I think that the same rules apply, don't under expose etc. I think that some artificial lighting is the real killer but that's maybe true for all systems and other than that I think the system does well especially if you can stop yourself from pixel peeping at 100%.

Thanks Alan. I'm not really a pixel peeper and, like you, would rather have a shot than not. Having downloaded a few various MFT raw files from dp review I have to say that I am quite impressed.

Hey Lee ... young Dominic @Nostromo bought a GX80 recently LINK

And HERE are some camera jpegs I took the other day: GX80 + Pana 45-150

I'll have to try the EVF as I don't think I could use just the screen. That may change of course once I actually try it over a reasonable time. Thanks for the heads up on the tilting screen though - I hadn't thought of that as being an essential thing to have.

I'm not sure everyone would agree, but I know I'd never buy another camera without a tilt up screen.

I've just been looking at/thru my GX80 evf ... I said things look weird, well I'd now describe it as "brighter, glossier" than the reality experienced with a DSLR.

Hello Lee, having thought about it after yesterday I reckon your best bet would probably be the E-M5ii
This shows the difference in size from your camera, my G80 and the E-M5ii
https://camerasize.com/compact/#567,689,594,ha,f
The size difference between the Nikon and Panasonic looks greater than it did in reality, weight also.

Maybe the G80 would fit the bill, but the Olympus is definitely smaller and you saw how good the stabilisation is
There again the Panasonic ibis is pretty close and dual IS when using one of their stabilised lenses gives it another stop
Neither camera had any problem after getting wet, so nothing to choose there

Not sure if my daughter has downloaded any photos yet, but she does get good results from her E-M5ii hand held
Going for a very good price now that the Mkiii has been launched, heard they will be reduced further to clear stock.

The Olympus range of fast small primes is very good too, zooms are none too shabby either
That 12-100 f/4 is the real star, sharp throughout and stabilised too, really is a do it all lens
When its utilising dual IS on a body like the E-M5 ii it allows extremely slow hand held shutter speeds

Last edited:
Hi Rich.

Thanks for the information and link. That’s a really good site.
It’s surprising how much bigger the D750 is compared to yours yet side by side on Monday the difference didn’t look as much.
It goes to show that there is no better way than having the camera actually in your hand to see how you get on with it.
Thanks,
Lee

Back