Thinking of buying these to start and branch out in portrait/fashion photog?

Edit My Images
No
Ok guys so I've got a few items in mind to buy for my d60 so I can branch out with fashion and portrait, Im stuck with just the lens that came with it, the 18-55mm.

Heres the list I got eyed up.

-Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S
-Nikon 105mm AF-S Macro
-LowePro Slingshot 200 Or perhaps a crumpler, not looked into specifics with crumplers yet however.
-Gorilla Pod + a Tripod (Recomendations needed on tripods, I know absolutely 0 about tripods.

Good ideas? Or not? please give me your opinions and explain why to/not to do, thanks.

What's wrong with the lens that came with the camera?

We had a meet yesterday, I think 3/4 people were using their kit lenses, so don't write it off straight away ;)

That said, if you've got the space, both the lenses you've stated would be excellent, the 50mm is a great lens if you've got a reasonably static subject (think: not kids).

When you say fashion/portrait, are you talking studio work?

The 50mm lens will be good, it will equate to a 35mm film equivalent of about 75-80mm which is a good focal length for portraits.

I would think this would cover it lens wise, the 1.4 can be used wide open and will let you shoot in pretty low light.

I would leave the 105mm for now and invest in a Nikon flash, cheap radio triggers from ebay to allow you to get your flash off camera.

A further £50 spend on ebay will get you a light stand, flash adaptor to mount the flash on the stand and a reflective/shoot through umbrella which will fit to the flash adaptor.

Get a 5 in 1 pop out reflector and maybe a Crumpler bag to hold the kit and you will be sorted.

I am currently using a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW which I thought was the nuts when I first got it but to be fair it is not very comfortable to carry over long distances. I would get a Crumpler bag, they are very good quality. I got the Pretty Boy XL from Ebay for £20 which will hold the D60, flash, two lenses and radio triggers.

That would be a good set-up for little outlay with flexibility for future upgrading. Also, check out

www.strobist.com

and be prepared to lose a couple of days of your life in there.

Good luck.

Wow, quick replies, I was typing away and two replies already appeared. Yeah, I would second that for the Redsnapper tripod, quality kit. Maybe check out their bags as well, cheap but high quality.

Have you got access to a flashgun? If not I'd seriously consider getting one before anything else for portrait photography. Could save some money for it by scaling back a little on the lenses. In terms of lenses, I've got the Nikon 1.8 50mm and it's a belter. Might be worth considering to save some pennies.

Nikon macro lens is a nice one, but again, would be worth considering the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105 (I think) to save some money.

Can't vouch for the Lowepro, although I hear they get are popular. I've got two crumpler bags though and they are absolutely excellent and ridiculously waterproof. They also don't scream "camera gear", which is nice if you're visiting less salubrious areas.

All this is based on the assumption that you are just kind of starting out with kit and that you haven't specifically chosen those lenses to fill a niche in your arsenal.

Hope this helps.

fashion and portrait are heavily dependant on light so i'd stick with your current lens and get a decent flash

out of the two you've chosen i'd go with the 105 over the 50 as it's not a particularly amazing portrait lens or look at the 85 as an option

and the bag/gorilla pod etc aren't portrait specific upgrades just extra bits and bobs

more information about your plans will probalby yield better advice as theres going to be a lot of difference between working on location externally or studio work and portraiture vs full length glamour for instance

Studio eventually, Ive only been shooting 6 months? Ive become a little bored with my current lens, I like it dont get me wrong!

I know this is the direction I wanna go, atm im just shooting friends out and about. Testing settings out and so forth.

Great informational post there Subseasniper - Cheers mate

And righty - I'll pick up that bag then!! 20Quid is cheap as chips!!

Jesus christ, 2 more replies while I was typing, I made a good choice signing up to this forum lol!

And to answer other questions!

I have no flash gun, or reflectors, Ive literally just got my kit I bought 6 month ago, Im Still a newbie hehe.

I was told the 1.4 55mm is like, a portrait photographers wet dream lol, I'll have to try before I buy but I've been reading alot of reviews, says its awesome.

And im thinking the 105 for stuff like catwalk shows, more zoom you see.

fashion and portrait are heavily dependant on light so i'd stick with your current lens and get a decent flash

out of the two you've chosen i'd go with the 105 over the 50 as it's not a particularly amazing portrait lens or look at the 85 as an option

and the bag/gorilla pod etc aren't portrait specific upgrades just extra bits and bobs

more information about your plans will probalby yield better advice as theres going to be a lot of difference between working on location externally or studio work and portraiture vs full length glamour for instance

Perhaps go for the crumpler someone advised for, the 105 (keep my kit lens for less-zoomage shots) and get a flash gun before the 105?

I was told the 1.4 55mm is like, a portrait photographers wet dream lol, I'll have to try before I buy but I've been reading alot of reviews, says its awesome.
If you're serious about portrait and you're budget can run to it you won't find a better lens for the job than the Nikkor 85mm F/1.4 AF-D

if you are getting a flash get a reflector to go with it

what are these

would like a 50mm for my sony, but going to save for the tamron 17-50 instead

Oh my, lovely! I think I'll go for a bag>gun>85mm in that order then!

Now I just need to price up that 85mm, /prepares oneself to be gobsmacked, lens never fail to make you die a little inside when you see their prices do they haha.

If you're planning on doing any of this indoors, or in low light conditions, you'll need a flash (or two)

Will be doing both mate - Gonna get a flash before a lens ive decided.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions sofar, youve all been steadfast! im pretty amazed with this community allready!

Emzee - Thanks for that link, jesus that lens is immensely good :O its defiently gonna get a purchase once I got the doe.

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, if I were you I'd be looking at the 50mm and getting to grips with it, and then adding a flash.

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, if I were you I'd be looking at the 50mm and getting to grips with it, and then adding a flash.

I have the 55mm that came with the d60 at the moment, Think I should get a flash then the 85? or the 85 then the flash?

Im still touch n go with my consistency of good shots at the moment, some days Im not thinking things through properly others I'm remembering what Ive been reading up on and things go well.

I personally think I should perhaps get the flash, and meanwhilst master my kit lens, or at least try my best to, So I can then use my 85 without thinking well I shouldve gotten more used to the 55 if you get me

Been pricing up the crumpler pretty boy that was recomended I can get it for only 20£, I can carry my camera AND my gear for my ICT course at college with it at the same time, Gonna grab that up in a few days on ebay be handy for my photography aswell as taking my camera with me efficiently to college to use afterwards omw home, can do a bit shooting after college daily then. At the minute my bag I have atm, its a bench messenger type bag, Very annoying to get the camera out, isnt built for it ofc. So for the money I'll grab the bag first, cant complain at that price.

I'll wait on the reflectors till I get the flash, No use having reflectors with no flash gun just yet hehe.

PS - How much can I pick up a decent flash gun for the d60?

I have the 55mm that came with the d60 at the moment, Think I should get a flash then the 85? or the 85 then the flash?

There's nothing to stop you getting the 85mm. But you might want to consider if you need it right now. With what you've already got and a few simple additions you can learn and do a lot. Even working with one flash can be interesting.

As for flashes, I prefer the Strobist route - working manually. Old Nikons (or similar) can still be found from time to time for relatively not a lot of money.

But maybe work with what you have until you know it well - push what you've got until you find it begins to limit you. Then you'll have a better idea of what you need rather than what you think you want.

It's all good though!

How exactly do flash guns work? do they automatically flash as the shot is about to be taken? or do you manually flash then shoot quickly?

And when I say im buying these, wont be for a good 2month? being a student money is tight! Bag I will have within days, Rest of the gear thats alot of £££ will have to wait so I still got a good while yet to get the most out of my 55mm before stepping up to the 85.

And ive been checking that strobist site out for a few days - I have had it bookmarkedb efore It was suggested in this thread further up hehe :) must be a popular website, certainly is well laid out and well done.

And hah I like that "You can allways zoom with your feet"

How exactly do flash guns work? do they automatically flash as the shot is about to be taken? or do you manually flash
then shoot quickly?

Reckon you can fire the flash and take a photo, both within in 1/125 of a second? ;)

And when I say im buying these, wont be for a good 2month? being a student money is tight! Bag I will have within days, Rest of the gear thats alot of £££ will have to wait so I still got a good while yet to get the most out of my 55mm before stepping up to the 85.

An 85mm f/1.4 will cost you the best part of £6-800..... ;) again

If you're strapped for cash then you'd be better off sticking with your kit lens and getting a set of Ebay triggers, a cheap flashgun, a cheap shoot through umbrella and a cheap lightstand, maybe £60-100 the lot. Mind you if you were going to buy (judging by your op list) two lenses for the guts of £800 money can't be that tight ;)

Why not a 50mm F/1.8? I would love an 85mm too but I lack the severe funding it requires :p

I do agree with what everyone has said though, best to build up your lighting kit. Flash, umbrella, wireless triggers, multi reflector and lightstand. A tripod for the camera would be good too. Flash wise I can recommend the SB600, its fully capable for what you'll be needing it for.

Try experimenting with home made DIY softboxes too, trust me you'll love the results you can get from just a shoebox, some tinfoil and a sheet of fabric or paper ;)

Enjoy!

Portrait photography is about lighting, not lenses, so spend your money where it matters.
Hotshoe flashes (the Strobist approach) can work at a very basic level but if you want to progress beyond the absolute basics you'll find yourself wanting proper studio lighting.

See this guide to studio lighting and this guide to portrait lighting

Reckon you can fire the flash and take a photo, both within in 1/125 of a second? ;)

An 85mm f/1.4 will cost you the best part of £6-800..... ;) again

If you're strapped for cash then you'd be better off sticking with your kit lens and getting a set of Ebay triggers, a cheap flashgun, a cheap shoot through umbrella and a cheap lightstand, maybe £60-100 the lot. Mind you if you were going to buy (judging by your op list) two lenses for the guts of £800 money can't be that tight ;)

Im a jobless student! and I dont have RICH rich parents either. Its just I know people who can get me a part time job or something for a good part of a few month at least which could grab me the equip and I can move on.

I think i'll resort to the cheaper method! I'll grab a flash gun first, Nikon SB-600 Speedlight is 160£, deffo in my price range and can be bought soon, but still giving me time to get more to grips with my kit lens.

then I can worry bout lenses:
Why not a 50mm F/1.8? - The 50mm, how much is it? and any examples of what it can produce? I know its also who is shooting, not what is shooting it! but I mean so I know its capabilities, Im still new to photography and I dont know eveything bout lenses just yet haha

- Again peeps cheers, you been fantastic.

EDIT: Thanks garry, Gonna give them a thorough read through tomorrow, its nearly 3am GMT at the mo! bloody phone call went on for hours - Good job I got a contract phone hah.

Breakneck, do a search on flickr for the 50mm f1.8, I'm sure there will be a few groups using the lens.

Also, starting cheap doesn't mean starting bad, you can learn a hell of a lot with just a cheap strobe, ebay radio triggers and some judicious reading of the strobist site.

Also, check out this months Practical Photography, there is a guide (albeit not massively detailed) abot off-camera flash.

Good luck.

I
then I can worry bout lenses:
Why not a 50mm F/1.8? - The 50mm, how much is it? and any examples of what it can produce? I know its also who is shooting, not what is shooting it! but I mean so I know its capabilities, Im still new to photography and I dont know eveything bout lenses just yet haha

The 50mm f/1.8 is just over £70 new, butyou'll need to learn to manually focus too, as it won't autofocus with your D60......

What's wrong with the lens that came with the camera

Nothing at at all, i used it for portrait type shots when i first had my Nikon D50 and got some great results.

The 50mm f/1.8 is just over £70 new, butyou'll need to learn to manually focus too, as it won't autofocus with your D60......

Ah right, Wasnt aware of this, I'll give it a look around - Is there a alternate with autofocus?

Btw is auto focus really a nessesity? or is it just a lazy route to getting the right focus? 70£ doesn't seem all that expensive at all I could get it easily enough without burning a hole in my pocket!

I'll check out that guide subsea thanks mate.

PS - I never said there IS something wrong with my kit lens, I'd just like a bit more variety, like anyone does!

Ah right, Wasnt aware of this, I'll give it a look around - Is there a alternate with autofocus?

Btw is auto focus really a nessesity? or is it just a lazy route to getting the right focus? 70£ doesn't seem all that expensive at all I could get it easily enough without burning a hole in my pocket!

Yup, the alternative is the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S...yours for a tad under £300 :bonk:

Autofocus isn't vital, depends if you feel confident in your manual focus ablilites, some people prefer mf to af...

If I were you I'd stick with your kit lens until you've done some shooting and then it'll become clearer to you what lens(es) would best suit your needs

Hmm, 70£ to 300£ is a big leap haha. I think I'll grab a flash gun and a crumpler pretty boy, wth some portable reflectors to take with me and stick to my lens.

Btw, I sound like a right noob asking this, but hey we dont learn if we dont ask right? - Whenever I watch videos/tutorials of portrait photography the photographer allways uses a small handheld umm Meter? I think its a meter to measure what light is around the persons face, Are those needed when you use flash guns? (Dumb question I know :s)

Btw is auto focus really a nessesity?

I come from a time when manual focus was really the only option. As a result I'm not really intimidated by having to use it. Having said that, there's nothing at all wrong with AF and I use it almost always. I think it's good to allow technology to help you achieve your goal.
You might find that manual focus is easy for you. It's a little easier or some cameras. If you get used to doing it then it offers you more options in the long run.

Back