Thinking of changing from Nikon D5500 to mirrorless

Name
Pamela
Edit My Images
No
Anyone any ideas of what mirrorless camera please ?
Requirements; rule of thirds grid, wi-fi, touchscreen optional. Nice bright 100% evf

Other than the baffling lack of the rule of third grid (why oh why Nikon?!), the Nikon Z series are very fine cameras.

What's your budget?

Anyone any ideas of what mirrorless camera please ?
Requirements; rule of thirds grid, wi-fi, touchscreen optional. Nice bright 100% evf

There are lots of choices and maybe the first should be to decide on a format size? MFT? APS-C? FF?

I have MFT and a FF Sony A7. The MFT kit is great because it's cheap, compact and light but FF is lovely too with better IQ and it allows the use of cheap film era lenses at their intended fov.

I quite agree Stu, the lack of Nikon thirds grid is a bugbare! Sorry I forgot to add crop sensor is fine for me and not too pricey so probably rules out Nikon z thanks

I quite agree Stu, the lack of Nikon thirds grid is a bugbare! Sorry I forgot to add crop sensor is fine for me and not too pricey so probably rules out Nikon z thanks
Maybe one day they'll include it!

Maybe Sony A6000 series? Or Fuji?

If you want a crop sensor, then Fuji is a fine choice. Body depends on your budget, and style/ physical size requirements.

Do you know, I recently changed to Nikon Z. My previous cameras have all had the grid, which I found useful. However, till just now, I hadn’t realised the Z6 hasn’t got one!

I’ve just changed from Nikon FX to Fuji, very pleased so far. I also looked at MFT, the pano G9, very nice camera with very good choice of lenses, but I didn’t really like the more ‘squarish’ formatt. Eventually went for the X-t3, to try and stay as updated as possible.
I also liked the Xt30 but ruled it out on physical size, as I have largish hands.
I don’t think there is a lot of difference between X-t2 or 3, so if you went X-t2 you would get an excellent deal at the moment.
The Fuji lenses also have a very good name and reputation.
The only downside for me is the rarity of macro lenses in the Fuji lineup, the 80mm being a bit out of my price range at the moment, so looking for a good replacement for my Nikon 105mm f2.8.

Last edited:
I’ve just changed from Nikon FX to Fuji, very pleased so far. I also looked at MFT, the pano G9, very nice camera with very good choice of lenses, but I didn’t really like the more ‘squarish’ formatt. Eventually went for the X-t3, to try and stay as updated as possible.
I also liked the Xt30 but ruled it out on physical size, as I have largish hands.
I don’t think there is a lot of difference between X-t2 or 3, so if you went X-t2 you would get an excellent deal at the moment.
The only downside for me is the rarity of macro lenses in the Fuji lineup, the 80mm being a bit out of my price range at the moment, so looking for a good replacement for my Nikon 105mm f2.8.
The 60mm Fuji macro lens is excellent optically, if a little slow to focus, and dirt cheap. Alternatively, you can adapt most legacy lenses; as you know you usually need to manually focus for macro subjects anyway.

Do you know, I recently changed to Nikon Z. My previous cameras have all had the grid, which I found useful. However, till just now, I hadn’t realised the Z6 hasn’t got one!

I hope the camera more than compensates for it despite this oversight

Will look into the Fuji xt2 . I have the Kase K 6 filter holder kit (K100-x filter system ) do any mirrorless cameras fit these. A great filter system with the Wolverine 10 stop I would be loathed to have to sell them.

XXs
The 60mm Fuji macro lens is excellent optically, if a little slow to focus, and dirt cheap. Alternatively, you can adapt most legacy lenses; as you know you usually need to manually focus for macro subjects anyway.
i would like to see images from the 60mm Fuji macro, it had not so good reviews when it first came out, but I think with updates and better camera bodies it’s a lot better lens now.

Will look into the Fuji xt2 . I have the Kase K 6 filter holder kit (K100-x filter system ) do any mirrorless cameras fit these. A great filter system with the Wolverine 10 stop I would be loathed to have to sell them.
Not come across the Kase, I use Formatt Hitech 100, and thought it maybe too big for the X-t3, but it is perfectly fine, as long as you can get the lens size adapters

I don't know that system but I'd imagine the holder is fitted to the lens with the use of a ring?

If so the rings possibly come in different sizes and if they don't a step up ring will enable you to use the filter system with smaller diameter lenses.

That's how my Cokin system works and I'd be mildly amazed if your system is radically different.

I hope the camera more than compensates for it despite this oversight
Yes, it certainly does. As I said, I don't notice this lack of grids display. Maybe I now have gained sufficient experience to compose instinctively instead of slavishly using artificial aids and "rules". :D

Last edited:
Yes, it certainly does. As I said, I don't notice this laxk of grids display. Maybe I now have gained sufficient experience to compose instinctively instead of slavishly using artificial aids and "rules". :D

I do hope that's tongue in cheek :D

I've been taking pictures for knocking on 50 years now but recently for some reason I now find it pretty difficult to hold a camera level and many of my pictures now require some degree of rotation post capture. I know it's happening but I don't seem to be able to correct it so having a grid in the display helps, a lot.

I've been taking pictures for knocking on 50 years now but recently for some reason I now find it pretty difficult to hold a camera level and many of my pictures now require some degree of rotation post capture. I know it's happening but I don't seem to be able to correct it so having a grid in the display helps, a lot.
Does your camera have a virtual horizon? I use mine all the time as I have dodgy eyes

Does your camera have a virtual horizon? I use mine all the time as I have dodgy eyes

Yes, all of my cameras have them but I don't find them to be completely accurate as a bit of movement either way is possible without the level showing an obvious tilt or maybe I'm just over sensitive to things being out by a tiny amount.

Slightly. ;). If we’re in the age wars, I’ve been attempting to take decent photos for 60 years. The “spirit level” in the viewfinder is the more valuable aid to me, but I fully accept that it can be difficult to keep it right on the bubble whilst pressing the shutter. You can easily correct indiscretions in processing. :)

Slightly. ;). If we’re in the age wars, I’ve been attempting to take decent photos for 60 years. The “spirit level” in the viewfinder is the more valuable aid to me, but I fully accept that it can be difficult to keep it right on the bubble whilst pressing the shutter. You can easily correct indiscretions in processing. :)

Well, no you can't always as rotating the picture leads to cropping and that can lead to an ever so slightly different picture. That may matter to the picture taker. TBH some of this is just because I'm an anal geek. People here probably will notice if a horizon or building is slightly off but few if any non forum dwelling normal people will.

Well, no you can't always as rotating the picture leads to cropping and that can lead to an ever so slightly different picture. That may matter to the picture taker. TBH some of this is just because I'm an anal geek. People here probably will notice if a horizon or building is slightly off but few if any non forum dwelling normal people will.
Oh, I’m a b*#**#r for looking for straight horizons. It’s a bugbear for me, even on TV programs. :D

Well, I’ve found out the reason for not missing the thirds matrix. Went out with the camera just now and there they were, in the viewfinder. All the time. Under my nose. :whistle: :exit:

Update; I got looking at and liked the Fuji Xt-20, Fuji Xt- 1000 and Sony A6300 felt lovely in the hand with it’s nice clear EVF and bold rule of thirds grid.
However hearing claims of people carrying four batteries, 4 I kid you not ! was a consideration. I only work part-time now to get a better work/ leisure time balance. So I think I shall be sticking with the Nikon D5500 for some time to come with my trusty trinity of Nikon lenses AF-P 18-55, AF-S 35 1.8, AF-P 70-300. And got the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and Nikon 50 1.8.

Update; I got looking at and liked the Fuji Xt-20, Fuji Xt- 1000 and Sony A6300 felt lovely in the hand with it’s nice clear EVF and bold rule of thirds grid.
However hearing claims of people carrying four batteries, 4 I kid you not ! was a consideration. I only work part-time now to get a better work/ leisure time balance. So I think I shall be sticking with the Nikon D5500 for some time to come with my trusty trinity of Nikon lenses AF-P 18-55, AF-S 35 1.8, AF-P 70-300. And got the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and Nikon 50 1.8.

I've had mirrorless for 10 years now. For the first few years I managed with one battery but I now have two.

However hearing claims of people carrying four batteries, 4 I kid you not ! was a consideration.
I’ve carried 5 Nikon batteries for a D750 before. Granted it was whilst staying on Skomer for 2 nights and I didn’t know if long the queue for the plug sockets would be. To be honest if I used the rear LCD whilst doing landscapes I would get through a couple of Nikon batteries in a day. Maybe three if I was doing lots of long exposures. DSLRs do use less power if you use the viewfinder the most. Any use of the LCD screen and i feel it’s on par now with mirrorless.

I’ve recently gone mirrorless with an A7Riii and yet to change a battery whilst out. I’ve not gone out for landscapes yet so can’t say if I will need more than one (I expect I will). The latest mirrorless aren’t as power hungry as previous models. Previous models were supposedly known for it but it all depends how you use the camera and how long for.

Last edited:
Back