Thinking of Swapping - Canon EOS to Pentax 645D

Swap from EOS Digital to Pentax 645 Digital?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I don't use my EOS kit as much as I should and I'm looking to re-kindle my interest in Photography. I have some film based medium format and always got more buzz out of that than 35mm film.

In my mind - the EOS kit I have is just sitting there and not being used so of little value - where if I swap it all for a couple of lenses and a Pentax 645D body then if I use this a couple of times a week - it's much better value?

Has anyone done this (or similar) and either regretted it or not looked back?

Thanks

A

I had at one time both a 645 film camera and a digital camera, neither used a great deal but I did use the digital a lot more than the film camera. I found the film camera too large, cumbersome and tbh less useful as I tend to use long lenses and the cost of a long lens for a 645 is high (if even available) add in the processing and it was all just too much of a faff etc. It was a great idea in theory in practice it just didn't work (for me). I have 35mm film cameras too and if I had more time I would use them with my existing lenses, when I have more time I intend to try that route, it may be an idea for you to try 35mm before launching into 645/6x6/MF

I had at one time both a 645 film camera and a digital camera, neither used a great deal but I did use the digital a lot more than the film camera. I found the film camera too large, cumbersome and tbh less useful as I tend to use long lenses and the cost of a long lens for a 645 is high (if even available) add in the processing and it was all just too much of a faff etc. It was a great idea in theory in practice it just didn't work (for me). I have 35mm film cameras too and if I had more time I would use them with my existing lenses, when I have more time I intend to try that route, it may be an idea for you to try 35mm before launching into 645/6x6/MF

I do still have an EOS 1NRS 35mm film - might try that to see - thanks...

I fancied MF and went for a 645z off the back of a decent bonus a few years ago, lenses are good value particularly if you don't mind S/H and importing in from Japan, plenty of good boxed versions available, I don't think you'll regret the move.

Regarding your opening gambit, I feel your pain.

I have to say buying new toys does give me the desire to go out and take pictures but it's always short lived.
As of this moment I own the best canon gear money can buy and I'm taking pictures of everything from dead plants to empty wine bottles.
I know it won't last though and then I'll be back exactly where you are (in terms of photographic enthusiasm)

Regarding your opening gambit, I feel your pain.

I have to say buying new toys does give me the desire to go out and take pictures but it's always short lived.
As of this moment I own the best canon gear money can buy and I'm taking pictures of everything from dead plants to empty wine bottles.
I know it won't last though and then I'll be back exactly where you are (in terms of photographic enthusiasm)
MF tends to slow you down and consider more before snapping IME. Though whether a didital body will to the same extent I'm not sure, hence my question.

Thanks

Between £1k and £1.5k depending on condition from what I've seen...

A

OK, thats near enough a bargain basement territory. What about lenses? They are a lot more expensive and probably not as good? Certainly not as fast... It is worth a thought depending on your line of work - portraits, fashion, advertising and maybe landscapes being the prime market.

We'll, slight change of plan. Just bought a Mamiya ZD with less than 3k actuations.

It will take my existing MF lenses and bought a 150 AF to try. Interesting times ahead.

A

Back