Third Party Grips....?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Was trawling through fleabay looking to see whether there were any grips for the 30D around and stumbled across awhole raft of third party grips that all claim to be as good as a Canon one.... This one particularly caught my eye because of the "additional" functions but it does look rather plasticky.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCD-Battery-Grip-for-Canon-EOS-30D-20D-Timer-Control_W0QQitemZ230210864334QQihZ013QQcategoryZ48516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone been brave enough to buy anything like this and were they any good?

I have a third party on on my D70s and a Nikon one on my D200, the difference in build quality is obvious......(y)

these got a real slagging off on POTN , I have just bought a canon grip for my 5D I did look at the others and they just didnt look right the canon ones look like they are part of the camera , not something stuck on

Cheers chaps,
All three of you have really echoed my own thoughts...... not too sure I'd be happy with some cheap loooking plastic hanging off the bottom of my lovely camera, despite the bells and whistles.......

I recently got one for my 400D (but without the LCD), it's made by a XYTM and hands on the quality seems very similar to the official Canon offering. So far I've been very happy with it.

I too have an XYTM grip on my 30D, if you put it side by side with a Canon grip I doubt you could tell the difference. It's top quality and I've been very happy with it.

I have the LCD version on my 350D and am very impressed with the build quality and the price... looks great in my opinion. Certainly doesn't look like a tacked on bit of tat..

I recently got one for my 400D (but without the LCD), it's made by a XYTM and hands on the quality seems very similar to the official Canon offering. So far I've been very happy with it.

agreed. got one of these on my 350d does what it says on the tin. excellent fit and finish.

XYTM grips on both my 400D and my 30D and I can't fault the quailty or fit(y)

I had a YXTM on my 400D. Very good for the price.

I now have an official Canon on my 40D. The build quality is much better, also has a few extra buttons.

The scroll wheel next to the shutter button on the grip was kinda cheaply made. Didn't click as well as the Canon one and sometimes got stuck between ruts - which basically stopped the whole camera from working until I figured out what was going on.

But the YXTM ones cost like £40 and the Canon ones cost over £100. In my opinion it's worth it. The build quality is just much better. The weather sealing is also much better on the official Canon grips.

Back