Critique Third (time lucky) portrait session with film

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

After my last session I had another bash. This time I continuted to overexpose by 2/rds. I'd intended to spot meter on the shadow side, but forgot in my haste. I limited which photos I took so I could control the exposure based on the overall tone.

At the weekend I'll post the bloopers so I can bore you all with my comparisions of harsh light conditions etc.

Thanks Mandy

12744147_1012692028804704_8267239667462341238_n.jpg

Very impressive, what film and dev/scan process? You have a achieved a really lovely colour pallete in this image

beautiful skin, eyes and hair

2p -- somewhat distracted by the fingers [and oof elbow]

thanks for posting - john

^^^^
WHS, lovely colours and exposure is spot on but the hand is a little distracting, a very small nit pick as it is a super portrait.

It's wonderful...didn't notice the hand..

I don't think luck has anything to do with this very successful session.

It is plainly the consequence of good decision making from your part
and a model that was playing along with you.

Both of you did a good job in my book!

I don't think luck has anything to do with this very successful session.

It is plainly the consequence of good decision making from your part
and a model that was playing along with you.

Both of you did a good job in my book!
You got it in one - it was Megan's ability to play along with me that creates the happy smiles.

I was hoping you'd be along. I think the improvement from my last session was using the 50m which gave me a few more stops of light.

Wow Amanda. Beautiful as ever. You're making a real good job with this film lark!

The hand in #1 is such a shame. I hadn't even noticed until i read the comments and had to scroll back up but now I've seen it it's hard to unsee it.

#2 is beautiful. Really. Just goes to show how such a simple thing can completely change the outcome of the shot. Something i must remember to do!

Interesting - I liked the hand there in the first image, though it breaks some of the 'rules'.

Hi,

Last post. All the film images are on my website now.

#4 Digital - It was too windy for my softbox. So I defaulted to using bare blub flash. I couldn't get it to trigger for the whole session, but was too nervous to stop and problem solve. I later realised I couldn't have tightened the trigger on the camera. Here is one example when the flash did trigger - over her head and onto the reflector blow. The hero shot of the session.
12705753_1006005949473312_796001138967597036_n.jpg

#5 Film - without the flash. I did a lot of photoshop work on this. It's not quite right, but I'm now at a place where I understand what I can do with film and where I can take my style with this new medium.

Ryde-Photographer-Natural-Portrait-2 by M@ndy, on Flickr

Next challenge - using a light meter for my next session! Thanks for your comments, Mandy

Great stuff, Amanda. Great to see you using more film. LOVE the shallow DOF too, especially in the second.

Back