This has honestly blown me away

Nothing that can't already be done, they just seem to have made it easier.

Nothing that can't already be done, they just seem to have made it easier.

Quite. I was doing this kind of thing 15 years ago with architectural stuff, and we were getting photo real renders, even back then - did take a long time though.

and the first place this should be used is with a furniture company like ikea where you upload a photo of your room and choose the furniture you are considering putting in there and it does it for you

Their technique isn't enough to fool error level analysis though, it shows distinct bright spots over all of their inserted items, so I wouldn't be too worried about it rendering photographs useless in any forensic terms.

http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/081710a/

Interesting article, however this method relies on how JPEGs are altered on successive saves. As I understand it, if you were to use a non lossy format such as TIFF for all source files, then this forensic technique would be defeated.

Maybe I have lived in a hole a little then haha
I know this sort of stuff has been done before but it's the sheer ease at which it does it and takes in to account the direction of light already in a still picture, that's the bit that blew me away.
Maybe I am easily impressed :)

It doesn't take into account the direction of light already in the image though, it takes account of where the user tells it the light is coming from.
It does seem pretty easy using that software but I notice that a lot of it is speeded up and it's being done by people who are really familiar with the program.

Back