This is a new one (Park Cameras offering B&HA training and accred)

Possibly, it takes alittle getting used to though, as you say earlier in this topic, you do whats best for working for you

I know I would find it hard changing my routine to yours and you would mine. we all work differently to effectively get the same end product (wired images) just do the process in different ways

Agree and as such I think gregory just needs to practice and practice.. any method is speeded up the more you do it :)

couple of minutes before half time.. swap yer memory cards...download yer locked files and have all your applications open ready to go..as soon as half time whistle goes then yer away... your doing 8 pics in 20 mins is poor thats 2 and a half mins a pic?
I only recently started editing “live” and it often takes me longer than that to have the photos finished and ready to be sent...

When I start editing at half time I finish a few pics from 1st half way after 2nd half started, resulting in missing lots of 2nd half action...which annoys me a lot.

I’m also trying different things, eg. downloading locked photos and selecting photos to edit right after particular action happened. That doesn’t take long, but it sometimes means I miss other action and sometimes goals too, which annoys me again. So yeah, really really need to get it sorted

I’m also trying different things, eg. downloading locked photos and selecting photos to edit right after particular action happened. That doesn’t take long, but it sometimes means I miss other action and sometimes goals too, which annoys me again. So yeah, really really need to get it sorted

but thats how we all do it.. watch a game on telly...half the photogrpahers have there noses in laptops not taking pics :)

why are you editing live? I only see grass roots stuff on your website.. presumably training yourself up to doing league?

That’s right Tony, I’m training myself now. I’m not going to approach any agency etc. until I’ll be able to do the job well. I certainly struggle with editing live. Well, I’ll play with PhotoMechanic and will see how this helps. Looks like lots of practice is needed too

The workflow pitch side was why I didn't continue with it, give me a pc with lightroom and I can crop, correct exposure, rotate you 9-12 per minute ready for export. Add in the tagging and picking images to send, never got to play with locked images and getting my head round that, locked images screwed things up I must have had it set to not import locked or somthing. But it was all a rush thing didnt get to play with the software properly before heading out and the agency had quite strange (I though) requirements for images to be sent. But never mind ahppy shooting kids at weekends and other stuff when ever it happens. I think the fact it rained from start to finish on my 2nd match made me think twice as all the work was on spec and I would rather have been sat at home in the warm, I didnt need to be there.

I think the fact it rained from start to finish on my 2nd match made me think twice as all the work was on spec and I would rather have been sat at home in the warm, I didnt need to be there.

The amount of times I have sat pitchside thinking... what am I doing here...

But you dont get football pictures sat at home... thats why I dont like people sayinjg its lucky when you get loads of goal cele shots or somethign like that.. ist not luck.. you get the equipment.. you sit there for ages hoping somehting great will happen...thats not luck

I was told many years ago that if I wanted to be a sports photogrpaher then I need to get out and shoott sports.. every chance i get... so thats what I do...no matter what.. if i can get there i will.... when I can't or wont then thats when the end is in sight :(

Gregory... all the agencies are on spec 70/30 unless your a long time well proven shooter who can command a fee for going to a match..agencies wont genrally pay up front and will be commision based...if yopu want to pop down to accy on a midweek day i will go through the basics with you...dont need a match...

Thats right Tony.
It can be the most demoralizing more often than not, but when you get something good it really sparks the fire.
Last few weeks have been horrible shooting conditions and ive really thought 'why am i putting myself through this'
But we still come back for more! I was at Crewe on Tuesday night, and i actually had to shoot in the stands, the weather was that bad!!

You lot faff about with Photomechanic and ive no idea why

View images in XNView
Import required images into Photoshop Elements
Crop/straighten (single tool/single click)
Import XMP file with all IPTC data etc and type small caption
Save and FTP or email

20 images at half time easy

Gary how do you caption in PE? I am using PM and LR at the moment.

then FTP via photomechanic to

I have a problem with this. I copied the name of the folder I needed to FTP in to - e.g. Charlton vs Millwall, but it created a new folder of the same name on the FTP server.

Any ideas?

mines quite an old verision of photomechanic. v4.5.3 . was waiting for them to add crop rotate before i spent money on latest.. have they added that yet?

Just check - yes they have in v5

Double click a photo to view then click on Crop on right hand side, rotate it necessary, close large view, the Ctrl+S to save. You have to save the photo to apply the crop/rotate. You can of course save it to the same folder as the original.

I have a problem with this. I copied the name of the folder I needed to FTP in to - e.g. Charlton vs Millwall, but it created a new folder of the same name on the FTP server.

Any ideas?

Not sure to be honest. must be something setup to create a new folder maybe? what happens if you dont create a folder at the start?

My FTP settings never change, just a case of save | upload and onto the next

I have to FTP in to a folder that has already been created with the name of the match.

I must just ring the agency and get it sorted to save time.

typing say `h9` cel + hit enter with dropdown is quicker than typing Patinkle Cisse of Newcastle United celebrates scoring the opening goal

What do you mean 'with dropdown'?

Gary how do you caption in PE? I am using PM and LR at the moment.

File/Info brings up this box and just add your caption in the description, notice all the different tabs at the top of the box, all the info you see is either inserted by the camera or by creating an XMP file pre match then importing it via the import button bottom right of the info box

grab.jpg

I have several autocompletes setup, when you type three letters of something say cel for celebrates it drops a list appears with autocompletes available to the spelling inputted and if you have more than on can use arrow keys plus enter to select it.

sounds complicated but its much much quicker

see below

Screenshot2014-01-24at212107_zpsfee10158.png

I have several autocompletes setup, when you type three letters of something say cel for celebrates it drops a list appears with autocompletes available to the spelling inputted and if you have more than on can use arrow keys plus enter to select it.

see below

Yup, something similar in Elements when you start typing in the description box

So you can do code replacement for the players + autocompletes for describing what's on the picture and that's it, a few clicks and job done. I like that! Especially if you have a few similar phrases for celebrations, better than trying to remember different code replacements for all of them.

The amount of times I have sat pitchside thinking... what am I doing here...

Me too, but I still do it for the passion. I have a mate who occasionally does portraits for friends and all the fancy light set up stuff etc. He asked me to maybe start doing weddings together as he tried it before. My answer was quick - not interested. It’s better to do what you like the most and that’s sport in my case. I think I'm into it and I alway will be

Last edited:
Gregory... all the agencies are on spec 70/30 unless your a long time well proven shooter who can command a fee for going to a match..agencies wont genrally pay up front and will be commision based...if yopu want to pop down to accy on a midweek day i will go through the basics with you...dont need a match...

I’m hoping from 70/30 split that’s 70 my way and 30 to agency? :D Yeah, Tony would be great to meet. Give me a few days to play with and to get used to PhotoMechanic please. It’s better if I’ll be familiar with it. Is friday late afternoon / early evening okay with you?

So you can do code replacement for the players + autocompletes for describing what's on the picture and that's it, a few clicks and job done. I like that! Especially if you have a few similar phrases for celebrations, better than trying to remember different code replacements for all of them.

yeah exactly that

I’m hoping from 70/30 split that’s 70 my way and 30 to agency? :D Yeah, Tony would be great to meet. Give me a few days to play with and to get used to PhotoMechanic please. It’s better if I’ll be familiar with it. Is friday late afternoon / early evening okay with you?

correct again

Oddly, I've an U21 game Friday, not sure if you want to meet? Can show you bits before and during the game aslong as the rain stays away

not trying to get out of anything.. the offers still there.. but if steven is up for it.. he is using code replacemnts more extensive than me.. as said i only use for player names :)

Oddly, I've an U21 game Friday, not sure if you want to meet? Can show you bits before and during the game aslong as the rain stays away
Steven, that sounds great, it’s exactly what I was hoping for really. So it’s a less important match where I could watch how you work, watch your match routine, watch when and how you select and edit pictures too.

I think apart from learning how to use PhotoMechanic and edit photos I also need to improve my decision making skills during a match. Watching how you work in real life at such a match is just perfect for that. Thank you!

Regarding rain, I could show you my laptop rain covers, well kind of covers. Maybe you will benefit from meeting me too ;)

Am I allowed to take photos or watch only?

not trying to get out of anything.. the offers still there.. but if steven is up for it.. he is using code replacemnts more extensive than me.. as said i only use for player names :)
Tony, I know you’d do it if it was needed. As Steven can show me things during a match and uses code replacements and autocompletes in PhotoMechanic and as he lives closer to me, I’ll take his help. I’ll be in touch if any more help is still needed. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Tony/Kipax, WRT post 47, I'm sure you're aware of the old saying attributed to many sportsmen about their luck - "The more I practice, the luckier I get!" Applies as much to photography as anything. Yes, there may be a bit of luck being in the right place at the right time but knowing which place and time is more likely to be "lucky" isn't easy. If it was, we'd all be doing it (although warm and dry is far more appealing than a cold, wet, muddy pitchside!)

Steven, that sounds great, it’s exactly what I was hoping for really. So it’s a less important match where I could watch how you work, watch your match routine, watch when and how you select and edit pictures too.

I think apart from learning how to use PhotoMechanic and edit photos I also need to improve my decision making skills during a match. Watching how you work in real life at such a match is just perfect for that. Thank you!

Regarding rain, I could show you my laptop rain covers, well kind of covers. Maybe you will benefit from meeting me too ;)

Am I allowed to take photos or watch only?

It would be watch only as the U21 stuff still falls under DataCo rules I'm afraid. not sure how policed U21 football is on that one

I think its around £3 entry to get in aswell. you can stand anywhere around the perimeter of the pitch which has rails around the outside and I literally sit at the other side of the poles so watching / chatting it still fine

Drop me a DM if you like and I can pass you the address of location of game.

Its a 7pm KO. I usually aim to be there an hour before so going through the basics can show you how I work / prepare etc and then onto the warm up / match itself

Steven, all that sounds great mate. Whatever helps me improve is good for me really, thanks. DM on the way

Well it was all looking a bit sad as I read through it... they cant even spell l? during a Championshop league match against ...

But then I got to the very bottom and course duration is 10.30am to 6pm So it's a full day.. Given course fees down south.. yeagh bit up there but then again not what I first thought... Again the bumf is missleading as it says "for shooting the evening game from pitchside." then in the times it says 3pm match? I know you southerners have funny times.. you have your dinner at tea time and stuff.. but still?

All in all looking at other fees (even courses on TP) .. bit pricey but not the rip off I first thought ..

They did a evening match pre-season. Guess they left some of the text in.

It's now £200, btw. Reasonable, I think.

I assume participants will be placed in the trenches on the sidelines, rather than behind the goals.

Back