This is driving me loupey...

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Focusing with a loupe, or not as the case may be.

We all know that critical focus with LF supposedly involves using a loupe up against the GroundGlass and I always have a loupe with me.

I don't find it an easy process tbh, possibly due to deteriorating eyesight, and as such often miss the focus even though to my eye, all appears good.

By contrast, simply focusing by viewing the GG wearing my reading glasses often proves more accurate .....prime examples are the last two LF images that I posted on here.

Do you guys always use a loupe or have you found, like me, that it's sometimes a pita?

I always use one, but like you find that the rather strong reading glasses I wear to view the ground glass let me achieve focus just as well. Where I do find a loup more useful is if I've got any tilts or swings, and I can check the top/bottom/sides more carefully.

As to how well my method really works, you can only judge by seeing if my prints are sharp :)

I always use one, but like you find that the rather strong reading glasses I wear to view the ground glass let me achieve focus just as well. Where I do find a loup more useful is if I've got any tilts or swings, and I can check the top/bottom/sides more carefully.

As to how well my method really works, you can only judge by seeing if my prints are sharp :)

No egregious signs of unsharpness in the prints we saw in Scotland, Stephen!

Back