This photo better in B/W or colour?

Name
Jen
Edit My Images
Yes
In your opinions, which version do you like better?

And does anyone know what kind of plant it is?
Thanks in advance. :)

B/W:
4755848357_a05a26f9da_z.jpg

Colour:
4764219489_55ea9e2ce6_z.jpg

Here's another photo, I'd like to know which version you like best:

B/W:
4413929272_9c28e54f15.jpg

Colour:
4413161571_b4131a35cc.jpg

Last edited:
Personal Preference: I prefer the colour versions on both.

Edit: i don't know what plant it is, but it has some spectacular shades of green, really love the photo.

Last edited:
colour for the plant.. b&w for the wedding.. could you try b&w + colour for the flowers in the wedding shot?

something like this

splash_of_colour.jpg

but done better xD

colour for the plant.. b&w for the wedding.. could you try b&w + colour for the flowers in the wedding shot?

something like this

splash_of_colour.jpg

but done better xD

Cool, thanks for the opinions/advice. :) What editing program did you use to do that? PS?

When taking a photo it's best if you decide what you want it to look like before you press the shutter.

Just my advice - feel free to ignore :)

something like this

splash_of_colour.jpg

but done better xD

You could try this, yes.....

If you wanted the tackiest wedding images going :D

Definitely colour on the plant - it's got no punch in the B/W.

Wedding shot - it's a tossup. Lighting is a little distracting in the colour, but again the B/W is a bit flat.

I like the flower shot better in colour, though I think I'd like the B&W better with deeper blacks. The wedding shot I like both versions but again the blacks are not deep enough for me. Nice shots.

Hmm, then I look through your photostream, and it explains it all.

Who was that aimed at Jen? And what "photostream" are you referring to? If you mean my flickr photostream - what does it explain??

Last edited:
I think the plant is an Allium.:)

As for the wedding shot, I prefer the selective colour edit. However, if you are a cool and trendy photographer they are unfashionable, but the general public, or "customers" as we know them think they're great.

It seems to me that Ryan has posted links to his site and Flickr stream as a guide to his take on successfull wedding photography, and perhaps we can all learn somethig by looking at it.

Definately colour for the plant - I have no strong feelings one way or another for the wedding shot.

Heh it looks nice and adds something the other wise black and white image - tacky maybe but still nice :p

Used photoshop and about 2 mins of my time. Took both your picks, layed them on top of each other (b&w over the top of colour) then just deleted the areas on the b&w to show the layer below.

Who was that aimed at Jen? And what "photostream" are you referring to? If you mean my flickr photostream - what does it explain??

It wasn't aimed towards you. Some people criticize my photos, but then I look through their photostream on flickr, and they do a total different selection/style of photography.

Back