this scared the sh*t out of me

that cup moving by itself scared me if you saw it and it is not time lapse either just a straight video recording

Last edited:
that cup moving by itself scared me if you saw it and it is not time lapse either just a straight video recording
While filming your kitchen sink in infra red night vision mode for no other apparent reason, while apparently not in the room and noticing a cup was sliding (very jerkily, and thus audibly) along the work top? A likely story, M'lud! ;) Besides, it's your own fault for not fitting your worktop level! :LOL:

Last edited:
I thought it was ok for first attempt trying out something different. Done by fishing line and taken around a tap to me behind the camera. Well no one else has tried it
It's better than some so called evidence films of 'paranormal phenomenon' I've seen. Of course, the lack of light from the built-in 'night-shot' IR illuminator helps hide a multitude of sins too. ;)

Very good indeed, you'll have to do it with some subjects and their reaction !!!

Had a go at the fading away object but I don't have the proper editing suit to pull that one off, maybe others want to try that cup trick themselves

Last edited:
Snip:
maybe others want to try that cup tgrick themselves
No, you'd most likely see the fishing line if I used the infrared lighting set-up that I normally use (joking aside, don't try this at home folks, pro use only, it's not cheap either, or intended for lighting a small room indoors!).

Last edited:
That is some rig but lighting up the whole room would spoil the effect of somethng coming out of a dark area

What is the new camcorder?

It is a Sony FDR-AX53 model. I used to have a Panasonic HC-X900m and had that for about 9 years. I did consider getting a new Panasonic version but what swayed it for me was the Sony built in gimble to steady videos on the move.
If interested I would suggest getting a pistol grip of some sort or other when using one ,it really helps. I have ordered from Japan a Sony GP-VTP1 pistol grop that has basic controls and also is a mini tripod, Did get a 55mm UV filter straight away as the lens shutters are so close to the front of the camcorder I don't want dirt.dust to foul them up.

P1030157.JPG

camcorders are a bit "out of fashion" so companies latest versions are a few years old compared the DSLR/Mirrorless cameras. Obviously my old one was used quite a bit and they easily fits into a pocket which is useful if in shall we say areas where thefts are not uncommon.

If you have any more questions Neil please ask, I may not have all the answers but possibly be a bit of help anyway

video quality one of the first taken with this new Sony (not in 4K which the Sony also shoot in)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-_Hf6V0vI

Last edited:
It is a Sony FDR-AX53 model. I used to have a Panasonic HC-X900m and had that for about 9 years. I did consider getting a new Panasonic version but what swayed it for me was the Sony built in gimble to steady videos on the move.
If interested I would suggest getting a pistol grip of some sort or other when using one ,it really helps. I have ordered from Japan a Sony GP-VTP1 pistol grop that has basic controls and also is a mini tripod, Did get a 55mm UV filter straight away as the lens shutters are so close to the front of the camcorder I don't want dirt.dust to foul them up.

View attachment 315152

camcorders are a bit "out of fashion" so companies latest versions are a few years old compared the DSLR/Mirrorless cameras. Obviously my old one was used quite a bit and they easily fits into a pocket which is useful if in shall we say areas where thefts are not uncommon.

If you have any more questions Neil please ask, I may not have all the answers but possibly be a bit of help anyway

video quality one of the first taken with this new Sony (not in 4K which the Sony)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-_Hf6V0vI

I asked hoping we might have had something in common. I have just bought the Canon XA40. https://www.proav.co.uk/canon-xa40-...mFzkxUMn96qpPv1i7lxG9Cjolpv-AZ70aAph5EALw_wcB

Yours was over my price range limit, the Sony I got from a main UK dealer discounted from £699 to £645 before P?X allowance . I already have very good Extnl mike (sennheiser MK400) . what swung it for me was that fantasic "floating" lens inside the camcorder. As for spec yours and mine are very similar so it is down to a question of personal choice.

I also bought a small compact for vlogging on the move should I want to . This does 4k as well

_DSC4685.jpg

Last edited:
Yours was over my price range limit, the Sony I got from a main UK dealer discounted from £699 to £645 before P?X allowance . I already have very good Extnl mike (sennheiser MK400) . what swung it for me was that fantasic "floating" lens inside the camcorder. As for spec yours and mine are very similar so it is down to a question of personal choice.

I also bought a small compact for vlogging on the move should I want to . This does 4k as well

View attachment 315155

Yes very similar in spec. I also wanted something that would strip down to use in dodgy places and without the handle and using the basic lens cover it's around the same size as yours. I got bored with still photography and would need an upgrade from my old Nikon D90 anyway so thought I'd give video a go. I got invited to learn stage lighting at a very small local theatre, I only got to visit the place once before Covid shut it down so hoping to get some use out of the camcorder with that venture.

We have a decent old Sony Camcorder had the IR trick on it too, it was my Mums really so about 15 years old it is still here and would work with battery put in it.
Not sure about tapes though - It got a bit confusing with the various smaller types.

We have a decent old Sony Camcorder had the IR trick on it too, it was my Mums really so about 15 years old it is still here and would work with battery put in it.
Not sure about tapes though - It got a bit confusing with the various smaller types.

I auctioned a 20yrs old Panasonic mini DV camcorder on ebay 2 week ago and it fetched 3 times what I wanted 'madness', I very much doubt it would be a collectors item either.

I am tending to head more towards video work and still totally useless at it but it is fun which it is all about.
One trick I tried out was to follow my dog Teazle at her level.
Easily done by having the camcorder on the end of a monopod and shooting upside down. then in editing just turn the video up the right way

try it going through say a flower bed and see how a small rodent sees it, making sure you have a lens filter on first

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWqyE6Pyyrk

Last edited:
Back