Review Thomas Camera Services , Kent

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I normally use Canon Elstree for repairs.. however if its an old bit of kit they tend to fix everything without asking and charge.. so a scratch on a small screen can set you back when you didnt want it doing... Little things you can live with they wont do any work unless they send the camera back with everything you didnt want doing.. and charge

So I have an old battered 1dx that died on me.. no power.. bricked... had i sent to canon they would want to do a lot of unnecacerry work and charge a fortune so I looked elsewhere and on search found Thomas camera services in tumbridge wells kent.. I emailed my problem and got a prompt reply.. I sent the camera off and got an equipment recieved notification

next day they phoned me offering to quote for new shutter etc as the count was over 900 thousand... I explained it had a new shutter at 600 thousand so no just get it working (as it was dead they had no way of knowing new shutter) ..A few hrs later I got the quote which I thought was reasonable at £273 all in... I accepted and got confirmation..

A few days later notification work done... I paid and 2 days later camera arrives... everyhting been cleaned inside and out..CCD/CMOS .. the whole camera checked and give good bill of health

On the job sheet they list the shutter count at 312,352 which was good to know.. thats since the new shutter :)

the one thing I think is important is "communication" which is sady lacking in other people I ahve used.. These guys walked me through it every step of the way.. giving me full confidence..

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED :)

Awesome, I've saved their website as they're not that far from me, and it may come in handy at some point.
I dont have anyone near me.. But only £12 to post to other end of country :)

Glad to read this, I've actually got a Canon F1 with them at the moment which is taking a little longer than they originally quoted. Not an issue for me and they apologised for the unexpected delay due to an influx of repairs and the technician who repairs these models being semi retired. So far, great service from them and I think they will be my go to for future. Already lined up my lens to send their way.

Interestingly there is also 1st Aid Repairs right around the corner from them. They too have a semi retired technician who repairs the F1 but came in a fair bit more expensive. I wonder if they outsource to the same man...

Just thought I would post an update. Received my Canon F1 back today. I sent it to them to fix the light meter which was intermittent in certain orientations and just for a once over.

I am incredibly impressed. They have disassembled and cleaned the AE viewfinder, repaired the light meter and given the camera a full once over. The advance lever is now incredibly smooth & crisp. The shutter release is equally buttery smooth and neither have any play which they did before. 5 stars from me!

So based on my own experience and review:) I sent a canon 1dxmkII and a 70-200 mkii for clean and service... £168 very nice and off it went

Sent recorded delivery so they signed for it next morning... I waited three days then contacted them to ask if recieved.. they said yes in warehouse waiting to be looked at

following Tue I got an invoice which said soon as i pay will be sent out... I paid straigh away... i waited until thursday lunch to ask if recieved payment they said yes recieved and item will be shipped today... i got them back next day

so communbication this time.. 2/10 at least they answered quick enough but the only unsolicted email was the bill :( last time they emailed to say recieved and emailed when started work... nothing this time

I sent a cover note and in big red letters asked them NOT to do anythign wiht the lens AF as its pin sharp on this and two other bodies...... yep they adjusted the AF and now :( :(

all in all a poor performance.. absoloute opposite from first time I used them ... I am now looking for someone else.. communication is key :(

Back