Thomas

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I personally think this is the best picture I have taken of my little boy so far, however I'd like to know your thoughts please, is there anything I could do to it to make it better. My only slight concern is the background. Is the 'wonkiness' an issue or is it blurred enough to get away with it and you wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it?

Thomas by giantwolf, on Flickr

Well, the background is pretty busy as you mentioned, and yes I did notice it right away...but I still love the picture! His eyes are beautiful!

Take out the bokeh highlight above his head and I think you have a cracker Richard.
The background is a little busy interms of highlight areas that pull the eye away from subject; ultimately you have a winning shot here Richard and you should be proud of this one.
You can always Photoshop the background to create more blur or reduce the exposure level of highlights to see if it would look any better... if it does, next time you push the shutter think about your background and save yourself 10 mins in front of the monitor.
Cheers andy

its a nightmare trying to get decent pictures without a fussy background in the house, I think its lovely :)

Love the image, would not let the back ground bug me too much, love the expression on the little chaps face and the eyes have it.

I do not know if this is the original crop or is there is any additional image to play with whilst you try and straighten the back ground, I think if you tried to straighten this as is you would loose the hand slightly.

I think it would bother other photographers, if this image was shown to anyone else I am sure all you would hear is praise followed by loads of Ooooohs and Aaaaaarggggs.

And of course you would get the best comment of all.... " You must really expensive camera to take pictures like that....."

Nice one...

Nigel

Well, the background is pretty busy as you mentioned, and yes I did notice it right away...but I still love the picture! His eyes are beautiful!

I love the expression and them big eyes one to treasure :clap:

its a nightmare trying to get decent pictures without a fussy background in the house, I think its lovely :)

i think thats a cracking photo - i love the b&w for baby portraits

Thanks for the comments. (y)

Take out the bokeh highlight above his head and I think you have a cracker Richard.
The background is a little busy interms of highlight areas that pull the eye away from subject; ultimately you have a winning shot here Richard and you should be proud of this one.
You can always Photoshop the background to create more blur or reduce the exposure level of highlights to see if it would look any better... if it does, next time you push the shutter think about your background and save yourself 10 mins in front of the monitor.
Cheers andy

Andy, thanks very much for the detailed response, much appreciated. I'll give your suggestions a go and see how it comes out.

Love the image, would not let the back ground bug me too much, love the expression on the little chaps face and the eyes have it.

I do not know if this is the original crop or is there is any additional image to play with whilst you try and straighten the back ground, I think if you tried to straighten this as is you would loose the hand slightly.

I think it would bother other photographers, if this image was shown to anyone else I am sure all you would hear is praise followed by loads of Ooooohs and Aaaaaarggggs.

And of course you would get the best comment of all.... " You must really expensive camera to take pictures like that....."

Nice one...

Nigel

Nigel, thanks also to you for the detailed response, much appreciated. I won't let it bug me as I'm very proud of the photo, both as a photographer and a dad. I was just wondering about 'technical' aspects of the photo, so they are in my head to remember for future pics of him but also for pics of anyone else I might take. I'm still learning.

I think you're right, there will be plenty of Oooohs and Aaarrggss, especially as I'm planning on giving grandmothers a framed copy each for mothers day. I do have additional images to play with so I'll try and straighten the background (although my photoshop skills might not be that good!!) and I will try Andy's suggestions also just to see if it makes that extra bit of difference which will improve it.

Thanks.

Back