Thornham Staithe, Norfolk

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
A couple from last night - I was hoping for an opportunity of at least some sun and colour poking through to time in line with the Spring high tide which results in these old tree stumps being covered in water. Alas, the good ol' British weather lived up to its normal expectations and let me down! Anyway its still a good location and i'm not too unhappy with a few of the shots. Perhaps my luck will be in favour next time round...

0.9 Formatt Hitech SE
Relics by neil almond, on Flickr

0.9 Formatt Hitech SE

Thornham Mono by neil almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
I prefer the first one.
The sky looks over-darkened, particularly at he top right, in the mono version.

I prefer the first one.
The sky looks over-darkened, particularly at he top right, in the mono version.

The sky probably looks over darkened due to a vignette being added, however that said the clouds were dark in the first place.
Thanks for your comment though.

I like the colour version, though I would probably crop it at the bottom. It has a "standing-stones" feel about it.

Thanks Jeremy. Had to be careful with cropping on the first, didn't want to remove the reflections from the image.
Appreciate the comment though.

Although I'm into B&W images at the moment, there's something about #1 that makes me go for that one. It is quite monochromatic anyway but the green in the water makes it for me.

The monochrome for me. I think it may be the extra vignetting that does the trick.

The sky is over graduated. The sky should not be darker than the reflection, it just looks odd and unnatural. With water the most you really need to use is 2 stops of graduation. The difference seems less pronounced in the B&W and would give it thus the nod.

The sky is over graduated. The sky should not be darker than the reflection, it just looks odd and unnatural. With water the most you really need to use is 2 stops of graduation. The difference seems less pronounced in the B&W and would give it thus the nod.

Cheers Steve,
Strangely I did try a 2 stop initially, but it looked washed out which is why I opted for the 3!

Cheers Steve,
Strangely I did try a 2 stop initially, but it looked washed out which is why I opted for the 3!

Everyone has their preferences but I would have got the basics right in the camera, even if it looked washed out and handled it subtly in post. In a reflection shot you want the ambient brightness of the sky to match that of the water or for the sky to be ever so slightly brighter than the water. Any excessive shadows in foreground can be pulled with basic shadow recovery. A D800 lets you pull so much back without noise even entering the equation.

Not your best work Neil but I still quite like it. I agree with Steve that the sky is a little too dark, so for me it works better in the mono. Also not keen on the grads darkening the tops of the taller trunks of wood, could you not sort this in PP?

Not your best work Neil but I still quite like it. I agree with Steve that the sky is a little too dark, so for me it works better in the mono. Also not keen on the grads darkening the tops of the taller trunks of wood, could you not sort this in PP?

Hi Neil, yeah, I probably should have undarkened the tops of the trunks to be honest. Still learning grads too so any tips would be appreciated!

Back