Thoughts Guidance wanted to make this striking...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

A little feedback please. I like this image, no manipulation done, just a few tweaks in lightroom with levels to take from colour to black and white. As far as my mind and creativity goes, I've hit a wall. Am i missing something, as for me its not quite there yet, it hasn't got the start contrast I want, but i've played around and hit a wall.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Up above in Bristol by lost&happy, on Flickr

Image was taken last weekend when the cranes in Bristol were working and I was lucky enough to get up one. P.s. The watermark isn't meant to be there, I just forgot to turn it off in LR. I know that's distracting!

Hi Dave,

Was it just the B&W you wanted help on or the image as a whole?

IMO the conversion is OK but could possibly be improved. It would help if we could see the original colour version though to see what tones you had there to start with - a few members could have a play then and see what they could come up with.

I won't say too much about the overall photo as I'm not sure that's what you want.
I do agree with Toby though that there are issues with composition. What was it you that you were aiming to achieve?

A little feedback please. I like this image, no manipulation done, just a few tweaks in lightroom with levels to take from colour to black and white. As far as my mind and creativity goes, I've hit a wall. Am i missing something, as for me its not quite there yet, it hasn't got the start contrast I want, but i've played around and hit a wall.

"Striking" photos are usually because of the subject matter, "significance", the lighting, or all of the above.

Think of some of the most "striking" images of fairly recent times.. Let's look at Steve McCurry's "Afghan Girl". Striking? Yup... what makes it so? Clearly it's subject. The girl is beautiful, and her eyes are very unusual. But it's also got great lighting.. add to that the political significance at the time (and perhaps still) and you have all the ingredients for "striking".

How about Diane Arbus's shot of the little boy with the grenade, or her shot of the twin girls. Technically there is NOTHING striking about these images. Lighting is average, composition goes against what most would call "pleasing", yet because of subject matter alone, they are striking, and have both become amongst the most iconic images taken in the 20th century.

OK.. let's break out the big guns. "Clearing Winter Storm" by Ansel Adams. Perhaps one of the most copied images ever... I think someone on here had a crack at it last week actually. What makes this striking? Sure, Yosemite is beautiful, but I've been at almost that exact spot on a dull overcast day, and to be honest... meh. Here, it's lighting (and also processing). Like most landscapes, so long as there is something interesting in the frame, and the composition is good, it's all about lighting more often than not, and would you look at it!!! He's captured wonderful lighting, and then treated it sympathetically.

This is all just guidance BTW... incidentally, while forum rules say I can't post my own work in a crit thread in a "I'm better than you" way, the fact that this is a harbour, with cranes, makes me think posting one of mine may help.

I'm currently working on a long term project called "Sustainable" which is, as you would imagine, about our obsession with sustainability, and how, in my opinion, it's all a complete waste of time, and merely papering over the cracks... and one shot I took in my mind, is relevant here because it's cranes, in a harbour, with flat, boring lighting on an overcast day... but I think "subject" is what makes it striking... in my opinion.

9365299116_886b95c1c5_b.jpg

It all depends on how you define striking. I think this isn't striking as in Ansel Adams striking... This is not a beautiful image... but the weirdness of those cranes intruding in the man made park is striking in the Arbus, weird twins way... it's a subject thing with this shot. It's also significant to the project.

That's my take on striking... It's just an opinion, but usually, and I think most will agree, that striking is usually one of these things... Subject, lighting, significance, or a combo of the above.

Oh... and sometimes colour is a major factor too... never forget colour.

I suspect most will identify most with the "Wow" factor striking... the "Adams" striking... and if that's what you want, then you need the lighting mate... and you just don't have it.

I do feel that if you just lay this bare... don't try for "wow"... keep it plain, drab and show it for what it is... there may be an element of the "Arbus" striking waiting to get out there... that sense of "otherness".

Not sure.. but something in your image made me pay it this much attention, so I wouldn't give up on it yet. I think it has the "otherness" and "Arbus" qualities. The contrast between the idyllic and the disagreeable.

Last edited:
I'd show it for what it is. As shot.. minimal processing.. This is never going to be a "Wow" shot if that's what you're after. It just won't. I wouldn't even bother with the whole black and white thing either.. it's doing precisely nothing. For me, the interest is the contrast between the two elements within the photograph.

The contrast between the idyllic and the disagreeable.

That's actually a very interesting observation - not something that I really got from the image personally, which is why I asked what it was he was aiming to achieve with it . . . but if that was the intention then I think I might be able to start to reevaluate it in a different light.

BTW - you know you can always post links to other people's pictures to illustrate your point :p
And I think you yourself got the distinction right in your assessment of posting your own photos in threads in the other thread.

BTW - you know you can always post links to other people's pictures to illustrate your point :p

I can?? Well I'll go to t'foot of our stairs.. as we say here in Lancashire :)

[edit] Links added. I think because you can't embed, I assumed even links would be naughty too.

[edit, edit] I still think embedding should be allowed in the right context.. after all, educational use is exempt from copyright infringement :).... I've argued enough with mods for one week though.

Peace.

:)

Last edited:
I've argued enough with mods for one week though.

Peace.

:)

Phew !!! ;)
(I can't find a peace smiley, so you'll have to make do with a wink)

On a serious note though, I don't want to take the OP's thread off topic, but if you think the subject of posting others' photos in certain contexts warrants a discussion then you can always start a FD thread about it.

10-4, received.. over and out.

agreed.. let's not derail the thread.

Hi all, so sorry for the slow reply. Moved to Bristol in the past week and have no Wifi, and it turns out pretty much no Vodafone reception either.....

SarahLee and Horrocks, you are right. Composistion was something that was bugging me. I've attached the original image below, before any B&W. Its drab, and certainly lacks light.

Pookeyhead, thank you for the reply. I really appreciate the posting of your image here, has allowed me to grasp what you mean straight away. (On a side note, I'm all for been able to post images in threads where they are an example or to highlight a point, especially as my specfic reason for starting this thread was to learn and get feedback.) Do you have a link to any of your Crane photos?

"Subject matter, significance, the lighting" I think thats the most helpful statement I've heard in a long time. I'm going to mull on this for a day, and then review my photos in a new light.

Thank you very much all for the direction, something I needed and something which will definitely help.

Cranes original for talk photography by lost&happy, on Flickr

Seeing the colour version makes me think that if you used the Shadow / Highlight control in Photoshop before converting to Black n White (and lose the vignette) this would pull out more detail on the crane that may better help you achieve your "stark contrast" in the subject matter ?

And I would clone out the "seagulls" or dust bunnies as they look too insignificant. :)

Back