Thoughts on K10D

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
Yes
I really like the look and features of this camera. Im just wondering is it worth paying the extra for it compared to a 350D. I have a chance to buy a 350D for $685au but im not sure if its worth paying that or extra for a K10D?

Thanks;)

Not really sure how much this is going to help but I have had my K10D for just over a month now and I absolutely love it. Easy(ish) to get to grips with and has all the functionality that I can see me needing for a long while to come.
Picture quality is great and the Kit Lens is very good.

Problem with my opinion is that the Pentax is my first and only DSLR so I cannot compare it to any other on the market first hand, but as someone moving up from P&S cameras into the world of DSLR I'm loving it...

It has been compared to the Nikon D80 in performance terms, I have had one for around a month now and its very intuitive.

Another happy K10D user here! I've had mine just over a month now and I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. Takes great pix and feels and handles like a proper camera, unlike some others I could mention.

Thanks heaps everyone. Ill wait till the end of the month and get a K10D. By the look of the replies its a great camera.

Cheers everyone

K10D is indeed a great camera, however the Samsung GX10 is an exact copy and cheaper too.

Superb camera in every respect. Colosal build, great feature set, exposes very well and takes super pictures.

I got myself a K10D recently as my first DSLR. Loving it and i'm very happy with some of the pics its taken.

Really easy to use, and options are very quick and easy to access (the two rollers are really useful).

Don't compare it to the 350D or 400D - it's well and truly prosumer. Compare it to the 30D :D

You'll have the chance to use thousands of old K-mount lenses too, which can be of incredible quality and cost roughly nothing...

Go for it.

It's an excellent camera - functionality is pretty special, wouldn't be without dual control wheels again !!

It's worth mentioning that high iso performance isn't quite as good as the canons

Just for the record I don't own the Pentax I bought the Samsung GX10 (K10D clone) - it's pretty much identical but was significantly cheaper when I bought mine 4 months ago

simon

How much cheaper is it?

Joel,

I'm in the UK so not familiar with prices in Australia but when I bought mine over here I got the twin lens kit for £437 whilst the K10D + 18-55 was around £570 at the time.

(This did include a Samsung £100 Cashback offer though)

Its definitely worth having a look around at your local retailers or online - the GX10 is equally capable

simon

http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

North Wales Landscape photography, Snowdonia & Anglesey

Thanks.
Well been doing some searching and over here they are the exact same price. I also found the k100d super for $900 with 300mm and 55mm. What are those like are they like a k10d only with less mp?

The K110D/K100D/K100D Super (in order of increasing feature set) is an excellent consumer DSLR - it serves me very well - and its most significant features, missing on, for instance, the D40 and 400D, are:

A metal chassis and tough resin casing (it weighs in the same as the D80) giving it a build quality to rival ANY consumer and prosumer DSLR up to the 40D
effective shake reduction (not K110D) (2-3 extra stops - you can hand-hold the camera for twice to four times as long an exposure, without getting a shaky picture)
a good kit lens (the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens isn't like Canon L glass but it's a head above the Canon and Nikon 18-55 kit lenses, particularly when stopped down to f/8, and better built too)

It takes the same lenses as the K10D, except the non-Super models can't autofocus the new Pentax SDM lenses (with the built-in AF motor). Not a great loss - the cheapest SDM lens is £550 and the benefits are questionable.

It's slightly smaller than the K10D, and a few things are always to be expected with a lower model - it takes a little longer to change settings and the continuous drive speed, as well as general camera stuff like picture saving, is a little slower. But for most casual togs it's more than adequate, and the money saved can be spent on lovely glass...

The sensor resolution is also lower of course, but with a 300mm lens (er... 70-300 zoom? 28-300 zoom? or a 300mm prime?) you won't need to crop photos much, and you'll be good for most enlargements you'll ever need to do.

I'm thinking of getting the K10D, how does it stack up against Canon and Nikon in terms of accessories like remote flash triggers and stuff like that?

Nice one...I'm sure you'll love it (y)

In the UK the K10D is just as cheap as the Samsung Clone now. I bought mine for about £450 including the standard lens (18-55). For that prce it is an awesome camera. I was comparing it with cameras £200 more and finding it still did everything they did to roughly the same quality.

In the UK the K10D is just as cheap as the Samsung Clone now. I bought mine for about £450 including the standard lens (18-55). For that prce it is an awesome camera. I was comparing it with cameras £200 more and finding it still did everything they did to roughly the same quality.

If you want a GX10 Samsung are currently offering £50 cashback:

http://www.samsungcamera.co.uk/gx10cashback/

At Camerabox you'll get the body + 18-55 for £379 (incl cashback) or twin kit lens for £465 -- also includes 2yr guarantee !!

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductID=3092&gclid=CPyCz6yDgJECFRV6EAodv2vO_w

Bargain price, might even be another retailer slightly cheaper if you do a bit of searching around !!

(I don't work for them either !!!)

Back