Beginner Thoughts on my work and an introduction.

Name
Jack Gatford
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!
I’m Jack, and I’m at the start of my professional career as a photographer. My passion is people, and although I do like photographing animals, landscapes, cityscapes, motorsport, and pretty much anything, portraiture, and photographing people is what I enjoy most, always have. Here are a few examples of my work so far, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any tips or knowledge that you can give me, especially if you see something that’s glaringly obvious that I’m missing.

Thanks in advance! 2FDF6F6F-5AF9-4C9A-8044-BB0F2CFCC328.jpeg9F556CF3-0C77-4C69-A2EA-B87D9833EA79.jpeg57496C3E-F64C-412D-A7D4-75A32360CAA9.jpegE7D97C68-2DED-45F0-970E-62AF565E3B82.jpeg8B5731A0-274D-41F4-B21F-EC0454A002E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome! There are much more qualified people here to comment. Really like the third one, looks quite editorial for me, the first feels underexposed and the last the background is far too bright and distracting for my tastes and also means the subject is also a bit dark.

Good luck on your career and look foward to seeing more of your work

Welcome! There are much more qualified people here to comment. Really like the third one, looks quite editorial for me, the first feels underexposed and the last the background is far too bright and distracting for my tastes and also means the subject is also a bit dark.

Good luck on your career and look foward to seeing more of your work
Thankyou!

I like the first image, although it has some clutter in the background. A lamp post and I sign I think.

Big eyed baby .... nice!

Really liking the two faces RHS, one half out the frame, one OOF in the BG.

If you're looking to make a profit from your photography, then you need to find out what people will pay you to provide.

Study trade magazines for the industries you want to supply. Look at the pictures used both in the adverts and in the editorial. If your intentions are towards retail customers, find out what existing photographers in your area are doing and first copy then try to improve on that.

Professional photography, in my opinion, has always been 90% business nous and 10% creative ability.

Back