Thoughts on the 18-200 VR - many users?

Edit My Images
Yes
So i've been using this lens for a few years on a D80, and on the whole not a bad lens. Lately i think the D80 has held it back...

I've now acquired a D7200 so can i expect more out of it? It was considered as one of the best "walkabout" lenses some years ago. I'm a hobbiest who's looking to learn and develop into a better photographer so keen to get your thoughts and whether it's still a good choice or if i should sell it and consider something else.

Thanks

......I've now acquired a D7200 so can i expect more out of it?
....good choice or if i should sell it and consider something else.
Thanks

I doubt the D80 has held the lens back much and, if anything, the D7200 is likely to highlight its weaknesses a bit more and make it look worse. That would only be if you start using the megapixels of the D7200 to pixel peep or crop more though.
The D7200 will probably be slightly better at AF than the D80 but the 18-200 is hardly a sports lens anyway so, again, there is probably not a great deal in it.
That is my experience of owning a D80, D7100 and a 18-200 anyway.

As to whether you should change it, first decide what you think is wrong with it. My list would be something like this:
1) goes pretty soft at 200mm, especially wide open but not bad if you use it in the 18-150mm range.
2) Not the fasted AF in the word so limiting for birds and aircraft in flight (probably sports as well but I don't take many pictures of that)
3) Max aperture is a bit high so limiting in low light, especially as this makes the AF worse.

So, if it was me, what would I do:
A) get a 70-300VR for the longer focal lengths. Keep the 18-200 or use a kit lens, primes or even a cheap 17-50 Tamron f2.8 for wider angle stuff.
When I decide the 70-300VR is still not quite sharp at 300mm and still a slow af and aperture wise I would start considering.....
B) a 70-200 f2.8 or f4 and a decent 18-55ish f2.8, plus a few more primes and either a 1.4TC or a 300mm f4 for longer focal lengths ;)

In reality? I've did A a while ago and am now well down the road of B, just trying to persuade myself I can afford the 70-200 f2.8 vr2!
Welcome to the world of GAS! :)

btw. Not wanting to worry you but I was recently looking at pictures I took with my old D80 and various old lenses, including the 18-200. I came to the conclusion they are actually capable of some cracking pictures and getting newer and fancier equipment hasn't really helped me much. Doesn't stop me doing it though.......

Back