thoughts please on third party batteries for cameras

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
ok guys as title myself and my son both have sony a77 mk2 and we both find that the original pack included drains quickly, so the question is are third party packs ok to use or are original packs worth the extra costs? thanks for looking gary

A lot of opinions I often see on this but I use and trust 7dayshop batteries, never personally had a issue with them, hope that helps

ok thanks for that hoping to get some more opinions to help us decide what to buy

I've used 3rd party batteries for both my Nikon cameras and also my Fuji and have never had a problem - I got my last Fuji batteries off of Amazon :)

Use them to great effect in my EOS M, got some for my D300 and now D700 and one of them is sketchy. Will report full battery then decide within seconds it's got nothing. The other 3rd party one i have is fine so just a 1 off. I've 5 genuines though just in case (which wasn't a cheap exercise let me tell you :LOL: )

I have used them before and they work fine, reason I don't use the, now is they never seem to have as much capacity as the original oem versions

ok guys as title myself and my son both have sony a77 mk2 and we both find that the original pack included drains quickly, so the question is are third party packs ok to use or are original packs worth the extra costs? thanks for looking gary

Was in a similar position myself when i bought my canon. An original canon battery was £50.

I decided to go with a 3rd party one and started doing some research. It turns out a lot of people had problems charging 3rd party batteries in the original chragers.

Some batteries required to be chipped in order to work correctly with the camera.

2 manufacturers were being recommended at the time, ansmann and hahnel. I went with hahnel in the end, and it charges fine with the original canon charger, and the build quality is great.

I would buy them again if required.

Hope this helps.

I have had a 7dayshop battery fail so there are no guarantees however ExPro seem to be reasonably well thought of.
IMHO the ones to avoid are those that claim to be genuine but are just too cheap. I bought a pair of 'Sony' FW50s and they were two thirds the weight of the one that came with the camera so must have very small cells inside. Also avoid ones that claim to have a much greater capacity than standard as they're either lying or have low-quality cells (or both).

I bought two 7 day shop ones for my little fuji, they seem to last longer than the one it came with.

thanks guys for opinions hope to get more feedback from members but it seems that lots of you are leaning towards third party and good to here in the main no real issues with them

I've never had an issue with third party batteries, and that's coming from use across at least 8 different DSLRs

I use Duracell branded batteries for my EOS 600D & EOS M and they easily out perform the OEM batteries.

Got 3 third party for canon 7d and build quality is excellent can't tell them apart from the Canon logo on the originals.In fact the recharge capacity is better on them than the original one.
Will post up make later.

I've used the odd 3rd party battery, mainly due to the cost of canon orignial batteries. The ones to avoid are the dirt chip chinese copies found on ebay.

If you buy a decent 3rd party battery compnay you will get just as good quality. They don't cost too much to produce, just oem batteries their raking the money in with the prices they charge.

I've got 6 third party batteries for my 550D, one failed so I threw it away, the others are just as good as the original but only cost £4 each.

Also use Hahnel batteries in the 5D mk III at work which are fine in use but don't seem to hold their charge very well when stored for a week or two. We have other Hahnel batteries for various camcorders which are all just as good as the originals.

I don't think I would ever buy genuine batteries unless the price was competitive, they are no better than third party batteries on the whole. There was a thread on here where someone opened up a 1D series battery and it was made up of rechargeable Panasonic AAs!

:plus1:for 7dayshop, never had a problem with any from them.

I have an old D70 with one genuine Nikon battery and 3 cheap ones, they are all still going strong. Nikon V1 original battery and 2 cheap ones. The Nikon is rubbish and will not hold a charge the cheap ones are fine. Avoid really cheap ones and you should be fine.

I have used 7dayshop for compact camera batteries. Found them ok but they only lasted about a year before the charge capacity seemed to drop significantly.

Have used Hahnel and they have been excellent & lasting as long as OEM so far.

John.

7 Dayshop, Duracell, Expro & Hahnel all proved to be fine for me ... wouldn't hesitate :)

I've never bought an origanal manufacturers battery always third party and I can honestly say I've never had a problem. Ive had Canon, Olympus and fuji and right now I have a couple of EX-PRO batteries for my fuji and I really cant tell the difference between them and the original.

Got Hannel and Energiser and the Hannels are as good as the original the energiser just doesn't have same capacity though. Still useful as a spare.

Must admit, I was a slave to the brand when I purchased additional batteries for my Sony A700s (£50 each!!).One of the main reasons I did so was that the Sony batteries gave the amount of charge remaining in %.

I've just migrated to the X-T! and noticed that the Fuji batteries are also £50! On @jakeblu 's recommendation, I bought an Ex Pro battery for £10. Makes you wonder how anyone can charge £50 for a camera battery but I suppose there will always be people who'll pay (like I used to).

I too like to have 'original brand' batteries but, like 'fabs', find it difficult to justify the sheer cost difference, I would go for original batteries if they were only double the cost but they can be as much as 5-times the cost. As a result, I tend to use third-party batteries. What I do try and do is to never use 3rd party batteries on professional jobs unless I have used the batteries a number of times before and know that they are reliable.

I've used third party batteries in Nikons, Canons and Panasonic bodies with no issues. Also never had a problem with charging them either. Having said that, I do tend to get mid priced third party batteries rather than the 'cheap as you can get' ones. Just feels safer somehow.

Used 1 third party & 1 original in my 550D grip & never had any problems just bought a third party replacement for my 5D Mkii to run along side a Canon in the grip as I was happy with the other bought before, like the others above I would avoid the obvious fakes masquerading as a genuine, I've seen a lot of these types on amazon

If you use non oem batteries, then your camera will melt, your loved ones will leave you and the world will end.

ok thanks guys I get the message the third party batteries are fine thanks to all gary

ok thanks guys I get the message the third party batteries are fine thanks to all gary

bit late as others have already replied but as I've got an A77 too I figured it was worth adding some info on my experience

I've used exPro batteries in all my sony cameras and been really impressed with them (and the double charger unit)

I've had cheaper eBay ones fail though (these were the smaller RX100 batteries though) so I'd stick with a decent 3rd party name rather than the cheapest ones

All the exPro batteries I've had have been the same as the OEM for charging times and operating time as well

I use a 3rd party battery for my canon 6d as well as an original canon. I got a baaxter battery via Amazon. Not sure if they do a sony version but I've had no issues and seems to work as well as the canon original

Back