THOUGHTS?

nikonkid

Suspended / Banned
Name
graham
Edit My Images
Yes
50mm f1.8 on a nikon D200, a good combo?, a bad combo? any thoughts off you guys, before i go get one.

Depends what you plan to shoot with it, I bought one but never really found a use for it, feels a bit long on a crop body tbh. On the plus side they hold their value so you wan't lose too much when you resell it...

i was going to take it to cyprus with me, especially to use on an evening (dropping light etc)

Try and go for something like a Sigma 28-70f2.8-4DC much better range and now selling s/h for about 100 quid so a good lens for a good price

It's not bad for a cheap lens to shoot in low light situations. If what you're planning on shooting doesn't move around too much (like scenery) maybe a tripod is a better investment.

wanted it really for a walk about lens to take out with me on an evening, to warm to be lugging about during day lol.

Try and go for something like a Sigma 28-70f2.8-4DC much better range and now selling s/h for about 100 quid so a good lens for a good price

ooh, now that sounds interesting, thanks for that dangermouse. (y)

depends... what are you used to shooting with? primes or a zoom? because if its a zoom, only having a 50mm can feel restricted.... ( personally i prefer just having primes, but for some it can be limmiting) ... other thing to consider is that maybe a 50mm is to long for a walk-about lens on a crop body?
a 30/35mm might be a better idea as it will give an effective focal length of 50mm, a fairly standerd range...

:)

depends... what are you used to shooting with? primes or a zoom? because if its a zoom, only having a 50mm can feel restricted.... ( personally i prefer just having primes, but for some it can be limmiting) ... other thing to consider is that maybe a 50mm is to long for a walk-about lens on a crop body?
a 30/35mm might be a better idea as it will give an effective focal length of 50mm, a fairly standerd range...

:)

when you say "too long" what do you meen? (sorry i have a lot to learn)

I had a 50mm but found it a tad too long, had a 30mm and found that a tad too wide. Then I got a Goldilocks lens (35mm f1,8), and it seems just right :D

I have the 50mm and love it but as stated above,im after one of the Sig's nearly got one the other week of here but no folding...Doh

Oh what they mean about too long is when on a crop sensor the 50mm is actually more like a 75mm with the nikon 1.5 crop factor

I had a 50mm but found it a tad too long, had a 30mm and found that a tad too wide. Then I got a Goldilocks lens (35mm f1,8), and it seems just right :D

I'd love a 35mm but Sony only do an f1.4 and it's over a grand! :eek:

But then I couldn't afford a D300 to put it on! :p

Fair enough If I hadn't started off with a D40, I too would have gone the Sony route.

Consider the Sigma 20mm f:1.8 (and I'm not just saying that cos I'll be posting one on the for sale board shortly ;) )

As a walkabout lens it will give you the 35mm field of view that was so loved by traditoinal street photographers while being fast enough to use when the light dips. It's not a small lens though, and its size means that you can use the pop-up flash with it on.

Do you shoot longer or wider? This could be handy if you go the mid range zoom route.

stupid question innit

fixed it for you.

though your post is a bit rude and pointless, not the best start to your TP stay..anything to declare before i do my usual checks?

Great little lens, that can be had for under £200 now. Big flickr group on it too.

yeh it sounds nice, better for low light shooting than 50mm f1.8?, but the 50mm f1.8 might be all i can afford at the moment.

As a light lens for use in low light, it's impossible to beat at the price. They do sometimes turn up on the 2nd hand market and are even more of a bargain then! (mine cost me £35 a few years ago). The 35mm is a fair bit more expensive which is what would tip me towards the 50mm.

To see how you'd get on with either as a prime, tape a standard zoom so you effectively have a prime (but slower!). Walk around and see how well you can "see" shots at both focal lengths.

Consider the Sigma 20mm f:1.8 (and I'm not just saying that cos I'll be posting one on the for sale board shortly ;) )

As a walkabout lens it will give you the 35mm field of view that was so loved by traditoinal street photographers while being fast enough to use when the light dips. It's not a small lens though, and its size means that you can use the pop-up flash with it on.

just looked up the sigma 20mm f1.8, :eek:, way out of my price range at the moment, its cost me everything to get a D200, but thanks for bringing it to my attention (y)

As a light lens for use in low light, it's impossible to beat at the price. They do sometimes turn up on the 2nd hand market and are even more of a bargain then! (mine cost me £35 a few years ago). The 35mm is a fair bit more expensive which is what would tip me towards the 50mm.

To see how you'd get on with either as a prime, tape a standard zoom so you effectively have a prime (but slower!). Walk around and see how well you can "see" shots at both focal lengths.

sorry nod, what do you mean "tape"?

Simply use an inch or two of tape to stop the zoom ring turning, effectively locking the lens at (as close as possible to) the chosen focal length. Best not to leave the tape on for too long since some tapes can leave a sticky residue. Most zooms are marked at a few focal lengths - 35mm and 50mm will probably be marked.

Back