Thread filter size Leica

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Elmar f 9cm 1:4

Anyone know the exact filter size for this lens?

All my other lenses are 39mm, the filters for which are too large.

I have a yellow filter marked " 2 E Leitz Wetzlar Germany" which is also too large.

The enclosed picture is a stock photo showing the model of lens

s-l1600.jpg

Aha!

Thanks for that.

QUOTE" It depends on the version of the Elmar. Early ones (and practically all screw mount versions) use a slip-on A-36, though a 34mm screw-in filter could be used " QUOTE

This would suggest that the filter i have marked " 2 E Leitz Wetzlar Germany" is 36mm ( and effectively no use to me whatsoever lol)

I have seen A-36 push on filters for sale although I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain a 34mm - 39mm step up ring then use the 39mm filter that I already have for my other Leica lenses.

There's also the Leitz SOOGZ A36-E39 adapter:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/SOOGZ

But the price seems to have shot up since I got one at a camera fair a few years ago! That Heliopan ring from B&H looks like your best bet if that is indeed a 34mm thread with a standard pitch on the inner ring of the Elmar (Teamwork sell Heliopan in the UK, but can't see that ring on their site). Although SRB don't list 34-39mm, you could ask them to quote you for making one - they do custom stuff at reasonable prices.

Some Leica lenses have non-standard thread pitch don't they? (Thinking of a 40/2. I think...)

Although SRB don't list 34-39mm, you could ask them to quote you for making one - they do custom stuff at reasonable prices.

Email sent to them!(y)

Some Leica lenses have non-standard thread pitch don't they? (Thinking of a 40/2. I think...)

:runaway: Don't tell me it's gunna get confusing:runaway:

At this rate I might just hold any yellow lens infront of the lens and be done

You can get at least one device that fits into the accessory shoe of a camera and has a clip on the free end to hold a filter, the join between shoe and filter being flexible. Can't recall what they're called (it's an age thing :D).

Last edited:
Also Asha don't forget the pitch on Leica thread is different to normal filters, .5 mm not .75mm if I remember correctly.

Also Asha don't forget the pitch on Leica thread is different to normal filters, .5 mm not .75mm if I remember correctly.
I don't think that's quite right (or at least not that simple). For most filter sizes, there's a common thread pitch that most people (including Leica) use. See:

https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/filter-threads-are-they-the-same_topic22871_post233574.html#233574

For both 34mm and 39mm the standard pitch is 0.5mm, and that's what's printed on the Heliopan stepping ring and in the old Hoya catalogue linked above. Leica E39 is definitely 0.5mm pitch, and I've just found a posting on RFF that states the 34mm thread used on some 90mm Elmars is also 0.5mm pitch:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127374

But there are exceptions for some thread diameters, where more than one pitch exists. I've read that the 43mm filter thread on the older version of the Summilux 50 has the less common 0.5mm pitch, but on the other hand I've also found that Hoya 43mm filters (apparently 0.75mm pitch) seem to fit just fine!

It is not to say that .75 pitch will not fit,I have a couple that do fit my older Leica lenses,just do not turn up as far,, it was just to say they are different which you confirm they are.

As I understand it:

39mm is 0.5mm pitch from Leica, Hoya, B+W and everyone else.
46mm is 0.75mm pitch from Leica, Hoya, B+W and everyone else.

So for these sizes and several others (including, as far as I can tell, 34mm/0.5mm), thread pitch simply isn't an issue. I think there are some incompatibilities for filter diameters between 39mm and 46mm, including 43mm and 40.5mm. Leica apparently used a 0.5mm pitch in the earlier E43 Summilux, but 0.75mm is otherwise commoner. B+W at one time made both 0.5mm and 0.75mm versions of their 43mm filters. Hoya apparently only makes 0.75mm, and yet I've tried two of them and they both screw on my E43 Summilux all the way without binding or damage. Make of that what you will!

Just to update this thread.

Obtained a MEOPTA M34 screw in yellow filter for a sensible price in good condition so I now have yellow filters for all my M lenses!

Back