Thread repair

Name
alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have this sigma 150-500mm lens, just bought it second hand but the filter thread is crossed I think, it did have a kood uv filter on, which took ages to get off. The new filter will not go on, it doesn't even start to go on, Any ideas. is there a tool I could buy.

Only thing I can think of is to try to clean the thread in reverse:

Use a nail or similar bent into an L shape and scrape out the last bit of the thread.
Warnings! You may take some black paint off which can be touched up.
Cover the lens just in case you slip and to keep fingerprints off.

Have a good look with a magnifying glass to see if there is actually any thread damage. That should tell you if it is just a bit of damage near the end of the thread, if it has been completely cross threaded or (if there is no obvious damage) perhaps it is just out of round from taking a bit of a knock.
If there is just a bit of damage near the end then you may well be able to tidy it up. Anything else I would think about professional repair unless you are really confident you know what you are doing.

Are you putting another UV filter on? If so, why not just leave it off? Long lenses suffer more with IQ degradation when using UV filters than other lenses. I'd imagine the 150-500 has a large enough hood to protect it?

Reactions: BBR
Are you putting another UV filter on? If so, why not just leave it off? Long lenses suffer more with IQ degradation when using UV filters than other lenses. I'd imagine the 150-500 has a large enough hood to protect it?

I would agree here. With anything this long the effect on IQ will range from mildly degrading to outright soft, particularly on the long end. Leave the filter OFF and make sure the hood is ON.

P.S. For the record on 16-70mm range pretty much even a piece of plastic (Lee filter crap) will do little to IQ.

Don't let it stop you buying the thread tool but I just wouldn't put another UV on that lens (personally I don't have them on any lens).

there was nothing wrong with the thread, I sent the lens back to Sigma, they checked it out, said there was nothing wrong with the thread. They did say the filter I sent in with it (kood) was the wrong thread pitch they sent it back all free of charge, and suggested I get a Sigma filter. I bought a second hand Sigma filter off ebay which cost £25 fits a treat. The main reason why I wanted a filter on this lens is I am such a ham fisted @@@@ because my hands are buggered. Anyway I'm happy now. So if anyone needs to borrow this lens filter repair tool, let me know. Thanks all.

Back