Threads locked, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope to hell they were not immigrant chickens via calais.

Nah, Anglo Saxon chickens. You know, the ones with only white meat.o_O

Reactions: ST4
bring it in big man.. x
You really don want to hear my views on such things, I fear the word phobic would shouted loudly and lengthily (unjustly of course)

Reactions: ST4
well put , and saying ignore it and don't retaliate is a lot easier said than done

IMO removing the ban on religion and politics was a mistake, allbeit one made with the best of motives, as emotive subjects are always going to lead to strong feeling, and in my view the only ways to deal with that on a forum are either i) no hold barred , which doesn't work well if people are easily offended, or ii) just don't discuss it at all - trying for the middle road is asking for trouble even if it doesn't descend into name calling and personal abuse.

The other issue with attack the post not the poster, is that some people can't tell the difference either giving or receiving , especially when discussing things that come from strongly held beliefs.

The third point is that the internet breeds ill feeling because you can't see tells and body language - I'd be willing to bet that if all the protagonists in say the hunting or immigration threads met for a beer or six we'd be able to have those discussions/arguments without anyone taking it into the carpark to settle it with fisticuffs

TBH I think this would a cop-out, why ban a subject just because some can't act with civility?
Ban the uncivil.

TBH I think this would a cop-out, why ban a subject just because some can't act with civility?
Ban the uncivil.

Even better, ban the Mods and lets just have a free for all:)

That's a good option!

After all, does it really matter?

Ban the uncivil.

A lot of forums go the ban the subject route - because it brings out the worst in so many people - tbh we had that on TP until the scots referendum , although the spirit was always applied instead of the letter of the rule.

fora vary though for example WAB had a very tightly policed no serious discussions in 'the treehouse' (their version of OOF) policy so it was limited only to light hearted discussion and banter - Barryboys sits at the oposite end of the scale with virtually anything legal able to be discussed in "non barry related" - and the no holds barred approach taken , ironically with the ability to say virtually anything including a lot of barbs and abuse i think there are actually less serious arguments than there re here - probably because people have much thicker skins and don't call the waaaahmbulance just because someone called them a bad word.

Also people don't troll as much because trolls either get baited for amusement or told to f*** off

Last edited:

Could be like 'the purge' 24 hours once a year when all trolling and arguing is legal :LOL:

A lot of forums go the ban the subject route - because it brings out the worst in so many people - tbh we had that on TP until the scots referendum , although the spirit was always applied instead of the letter of the rule.

fora vary though for example WAB had a very tightly policed no serious discussions in 'the treehouse' (their version of OOF) policy so it was limited only to light hearted discussion and banter - Barryboys sits at the oposite end of the scale with virtually anything legal able to be discussed in "non barry related" - and the no holds barred approach taken , ironically with the ability to say virtually anything including a lot of barbs and abuse i think there are actually less serious arguments than there re here - probably because people have much thicker skins and don't call the waaaahmbulance just because someone called them a bad word.
Depends what you want out of your Internet time I guess, some previously very regular, helpful and friendly members have gone from here and many more participate much less than they did ... that doesn't happen tend to happen on a 'friendly forum'.

yup, 95% of forums i frequent have the no politics and religion rule. as the mods here know, it can be a complete nightmare to police arguments.

Depends what you want out of your Internet time I guess, some previously very regular, helpful and friendly members have gone from here and many more participate much less than they did ... that doesn't happen tend to happen on a 'friendly forum'.
i gave myself some self imposed time off because i didnt like how the relaxed rule was turning everyone into an arguing fool (myself included). i came back a week or so ago with the hope things had calmed down.

I think you would have to ban far more subjects that religion and politics in order to reduce the uncivil conduct here.

yup, 95% of forums i frequent have the no politics and religion rule. as the mods here know, it can be a complete nightmare to police arguments.
They shouldn't be policing arguments. If it's already an argument, it's time to lock the thread. And maybe bonk some heads together as they lock the door.

but that's not because of the arguing in OOF in most cases, than all the b*****ks in certain crit boards ... mind you the membership of internet discussion boards are transient by their nature, ive been a member of about 8 and a mod on 2, but i only now regularly post on TP and Barryboys - very occasionally on the woodhaven2 .

it never used to be this bad..
I think bad feeling between some people carries over into other threads, which is another reason to consider a ban on contentious topics.

An alternative is to shove all 'serious' topics into a un-moderated sub-section and let people get bored of bickering by themselves, so the Mods can concentrate on policing the Wedding Photography threads ;)

They shouldn't be policing arguments. If it's already an argument, it's time to lock the thread. And maybe bonk some heads together as they lock the door.

not to mention that some people can't tell the difference between a debate and an argument

I can't remember reading anything too bad here... so either I'm missing it or it just seems mild to me after some of the stuff I've seen elsewhere on line.

There are a few people I've been tempted to ignore but only for their postings in the camera and image sections of the forum and not for anything religious or race etc related.

All in all I think this is a very nice place...

I think bad feeling between some people carries over into other threads, which is another reason to consider a ban on contentious topics.

Personally I try not to take it too seriously - I don't bear steve for example any ill will - I disagree with nearly everything he says in OOF, but I can respect his photography skills, and actually i suspect we'd get on okay in person... with the exception of two people where something has happened off board to generate serious antipathy, I wouldn't consider anyone as an enemy - life's too short for all that crap , its a discussion on the interwebz, not a fight to the death

you'll never stop the arguments where religion and politics are concerned
not to mention that some people can't tell the difference between a debate and an argument
Maybe the compromise here, then, is to identify those who can't debate these topics cordially, and ban them from OOF for everyone's (including their own) benefit?

I can't remember reading anything too bad here... so either I'm missing it or it just seems mild to me after some of the stuff I've seen elsewhere on line.
...or maybe you're the one causing all the trouble? ;)

Yes I'm getting fed up with the way it's gone here I'll give out of focus a break I think until it's sorted it's not possible to have a decent discussion without someone starting to bait and then it turning into a bickering sesson
It doesn't have to be this way the photo sections in particular the macro section is alive and kicking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back