Three days later they were ploughed up!

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Not far from home was a special little field. I drove past one day and told my wife (the flora photographer) in the hope she's find time to capture them. Trouble was she had been busy with other stuff and I could see her not taking them. So I did it myself - three days later the whole lot had been ploughed up.

DSC_5926 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_5940 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_5955 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

1st and last for me Barry, lovely shots, not quite so keen in the high key look of the 2nd ... pity the field was ploughed :)

Nice shots Barry. I like the last best.

Unfortunately the farmers need to keep working their land and we lose these visual wonders but understand why this happens.

1st and last for me Barry, lovely shots, not quite so keen in the high key look of the 2nd ... pity the field was ploughed :)

Thanks Gramps.... I know what you mean - trying to get high-key grittyness out of a D800 is a challenge. It was a try though.

Nice shots Barry. I like the last best.

Unfortunately the farmers need to keep working their land and we lose these visual wonders but understand why this happens.

Cheers Buck. Yeah understand too. But, when I say field, it was the corner of a chunk of land that wouldn't do much else - hohum. I think I might have a shot of it somewhere.

This shows part of the field Adrian, the boundary is by the out of focus hedge to the right (the boundary is actually a drain). The poppy patch is no more than a triangle 100 metres by about 30 metres.

DSC_5870 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Ah that's a shame then. I've. It seen many poppies around here this year and certainly not a field full :(

Maybe there'll be a few fallow fields next year that'll let them flourish.

No. 3 & the one you've just posted are my favourites. The flowers would have set some seed by now; it' s still a bit early IMO - normally would be cut in the Autumn and ploughed later from what I know of wildflower meadow management as a gardener. The farmer seems to have jumped the gun here. He can do what he likes with his land if there are no preservation orders already in place on any part of it and knows how to manage it (one would hope!), but perhaps he was concerned he'd be compelled to keep it 'wild' if it became a known local feature, so took action beforehand.

Last edited:
Interesting Colin.... thanks for liking them.

It's no more than 1.5 miles from home. I might pop round and see what's going on a bit later and report back ;)

To modify my previous comment a little, which was written in a hurry before clearing off for the weekend. I'm coming from a gardening perspective: if it was an existing wildflower meadow or patch, it wouldn't be ploughed but harrowed, if necessary, and cut in spring and late summer, which was the practise we used where I worked.
Possible, also, the farmer sowed the flower seed if he didn't want that patch this year rather than leave it for less attractive wild plants. You also could enquire here: http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

Last edited:
Lovely images - I think that last one which shows the surroundings is actually my favourite. It would have been nice to have been able to go back and get some early morning or late evening light coming through the petals.

To modify my previous comment a little, which was written in a hurry before clearing off for the weekend. I'm coming from a gardening perspective: if it was an existing wildflower meadow or patch, it wouldn't be ploughed but harrowed, if necessary, and cut in spring and late summer, which was the practise we used where I worked.
Possible, also, the farmer sowed the flower seed if he didn't want that patch this year rather than leave it for less attractive wild plants. You also could enquire here: http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

Interesting - thanks for the thoughts. I'll look into it. I beginning to think it's more of a small holding. It's right on the edge of "Little Holland" in South Lincolnshire - who knows what happens there? ;)

Lovely images - I think that last one which shows the surroundings is actually my favourite. It would have been nice to have been able to go back and get some early morning or late evening light coming through the petals.

Thanks. In truth, I have loads like these but have tried lately to a bit creative rather a 'record' shot. I just selected those that pleased me - I'm possibly not the best judge of my own work. Who is for that matter?

I might add some more to the Flickr Poppy album later.

Oh dear... sorry for that!

Thanks for making a selection and the effort.

I have to admit - I could've stayed ages grabbing different shots/angles but had to get to work. Loads on my computer still - never had so many 'keepers' from a 15 minute session ;) .

I was glad I did! I'd only viewed them on the thread here - seeing them in the viewing mode in Flickr really made them jump from the screen. The colours and clarity are superb.

Not sure as to the wisdom of you having the hi-res versions available for download and not watermarked - I would have thought these type of images would be prime candidates for stock images!

Not sure as to the wisdom of you having the hi-res versions available for download and not watermarked

Download disabled - thanks!

Back