Critique Three Ladies and a Ladyboy

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Really nice photos yet again, 1&3 for me as you have brought out the shiny shell on them. very impressive.

Looking at these on my phone and they look amazing well controlled on the light front no major reflection from flash.

Only change would be #3 slightly raised view above that leaf on bottom right which is a little distracting. Unless you were going for the voyeur effect ;).

But excellent work as ever Tim. Can I ask what settings you have your flash too. Seems over 1:1 I need Flash on 1/4 - 1/1 power to get anything of decent exposure. It may be positioning that's at fault but that is a comprise getting close enough and getting the light.

Very impressive so a big thumbs up & great skills in capturing them (y)

Thanks all!

Only change would be #3 slightly raised view above that leaf on bottom right which is a little distracting. Unless you were going for the voyeur effect ;).
Yes I agree. I checked the shot on the LCD and noticed this, so did some quick "gardening" and removed that leaf in the front. Unfortunately this disturbed our young lovers and they wandered wandered off and hid under a different leaf. I thought I'd better give them some privacy after that. I quite like the "voyeur effect" though. It does make it more candid ;)

But excellent work as ever Tim. Can I ask what settings you have your flash too. Seems over 1:1 I need Flash on 1/4 - 1/1 power to get anything of decent exposure. It may be positioning that's at fault but that is a comprise getting close enough and getting the light.
I tend to just use eTTL and add/remove flash exposure compensation depending on the scene. Pretty sure I would have left it at zero for this one, or maybe a third or two under. I think I might start using manual more though. With eTTL there is a pre-flash that can spook some bugs (especially flies) before the shutter opens, also, I'll probably find I get more consistency with stacking too, although I haven't really encountered any issues with eTTL.

Very nice - first two for me, as would prefer both to be in full focus in third ( probably impossible without stacking ??)
I would have liked to go for a stack. I had the issue of no support again (these guys were high up in a tree) and I was shooting one-handed (it was pretty windy and I was holding the branch still with my left hand), so couldn't manage one this time. I did get a few shots of the female eye in focus though so maybe I can find another one of the set and do something to merge them in Photoshop. I agree it would have been much better if all had been in focus, but figured I could be a little bit more flexible with a behaviour shot.

Thanks all for your comments!

Back