Three more new Nikon cameras

I have to say I just cannot see the point of carrying around 3 cameras just because they have different focal lengths, really pointless even making them let alone buying them. Far better with a D800 series and a 24-70mm and/or80-400mm lens bearing in mind how much cropping can be achieved would be and is my choice of which I have.

These new cameras make Nikon looking as if they are struggling to find a new twist on what might sell hopefull. So Nikon get a thumbs down from me and i have always had Nikon cameras and lenses and a big Nikon fan.

Last edited:
I have to say I just cannot see the point of carrying around 3 cameras just because they have different focal lengths, really pointless even making them let alone buying them. Far better with a D800 series and a 24-70mm and/or80-400mm lens bearing in mind how much cropping can be achieved would be and is my choice of which I have.

These new cameras make Nikon looking as if they are struggling to find a new twist on what might sell hopefull. So Nikon get a thumbs down from me and i have always had Nikon cameras and lenses and a big Nikon fan.
Would anyone really buy 3 cameras? You buy one as an alternative when you don't want to lug your DSLR around, they're certainly not intended to be a replacement.

The DL24-85 looks good but annoyed that it is shipping in June! Why announce a P&S so early? Thinking about getting an interim RX100 MK1 or G7x until it hits the market.....

Last edited:
The DL24-85 looks good but annoyed that it is shipping in June! Why announce a P&S so early? Thinking about getting an interim RX100 MK1 or G7x until it hits the market.....
Yep very annoying, plus then I'd want to wait a few months for the price to drop. And I thought Canon were bad announcing the G7x-II last week and not shipping until May.

I'm trying to get a cheap used G7x for now and wait to see what the G7x-II, TZ100 and DL24-85 are like and what happens to the price after a few months. According to a hands on preview the 24-85 has good all round frame sharpness which would be a real plus as the G7x and G5x are pretty bad at the edges/corners. The RX100 isn't much better so so just thought it was limitations of these small lenses, but the Nikon sounds promising. Of course, I've no idea how much money was passed under the table to the reviewer ;)

I'd be interested in a G5x mark ii also as and when it's announced, the only thing that put me off the original is the ridiculously slow shot to shot time with RAW. I used a 95mb/s Sandisk Pro Extreme and turned off s*** review, and it was a couple of seconds before it was ready to take the next shot. I shot RAW+JPEG on the RX100 M3 and that was ready to shoot more or less instantly.

Last edited:
Yep very annoying, plus then I'd want to wait a few months for the price to drop. And I thought Canon were bad announcing the G7x-II last week and not shipping until May.

I'm trying to get a cheap used G7x for now and wait to see what the G7x-II, TZ100 and DL24-85 are like and what happens to the price after a few months. According to a hands on preview the 24-85 has good all round frame sharpness which would be a real plus as the G7x and G5x are pretty bad at the edges/corners. The RX100 isn't much better so so just thought it was limitations of these small lenses, but the Nikon sounds promising. Of course, I've no idea how much money was passed under the table to the reviewer ;)

I'd be interested in a G5x mark ii also as and when it's announced, the only thing that put me off the original is the ridiculously slow shot to shot time with RAW. I used a 95mb/s Sandisk Pro Extreme and turned off s*** review, and it was a couple of seconds before it was ready to take the next shot. I shot RAW+JPEG on the RX100 M3 and that was ready to shoot more or less instantly.

Just admit it, youve gone from thinking these are pointless to actually wanting one ;)

Just admit it, youve gone from thinking these are pointless to actually wanting one ;)
Nope, still not at the top of the list and price on release far too high so as I said I'll wait and see. Obviously IQ could sway me as that's the most important thing, but pocketability, ND filter and extra reach of the Canon are a larger draw to me than PDAF on a camera like this, and 4K which I'll never use. I do wish Canikon would pull their fingers out an implement sweep panoramic, not exactly new tech. With the 24-85 shooting 20fps is't not as though it's not got the capability. OK, not a massive deal granted, but still a feature that's missing that (in theory) should be a straight forward implementation.

The silver is hideous imo. They've made a balls up there. Luckily the 18-50 isn't available in silver so i should be ok.
Are you definitely getting it then? I really struggle with the price of these things o_O

Well it really appeals i must say. But June is a lot of sleeps away. I guess reviews and 'proper' sample shots are a big part of the decision too.
I just cringe that they cost the same as you'd get for your 24-70mm f2.8 :eek:

I do also wish they'd stuck a permanent viewfinder on a la Panny TZ's (I prefer ready available rather than pop up like the RX100). Small granted, but could come in very useful on odd occasions.

I just cringe that they cost the same as you'd get for your 24-70mm f2.8 :eek:

I do also wish they'd stuck a permanent viewfinder on a la Panny TZ's (I prefer ready available rather than pop up like the RX100). Small granted, but could come in very useful on odd occasions.

But you cant use a 24-70 without a camera, and that would be a used lens price. Its a fair amount of money but all things considered imo it aint to bad. Plus, RRP will drop, just like it did with the £700 RX100iii.

After all, you spent a fortune on M43 stuff?

Its just that youve seen the light and value v performance ratio of FF. ;)

Last edited:
Wonder what they'll be priced at at Panamoz?
;) Im guessing we will see a 15% price difference.

Not so sure, the G7x on Panamoz is £450 on Panamoz vs £365 on amazon :confused: G7x is £365 on DR, but the G5x on DR is nearly £100 cheaper than amazon.

Not so sure, the G7x on Panamoz is £450 on Panamoz vs £365 on amazon :confused: G7x is £365 on DR, but the G5x on DR is nearly £100 cheaper than amazon.

Panamoz prices are way out of touch on some of their products. I think Minnnt probably meant grey in general.

Panamoz prices are way out of touch on some of their products. I think Minnnt probably meant grey in general.
Panamoz don't stock a lot of compacts, but are high price when they do. DR is guesswork whether they'll be cheaper, and HDEW don't stock compacts currently. There are places like simply electronics and valuebasket but I'm not sure I'd risk using them as never heard of them. Apparently Richmond Cameras on ebay get good feedback and are generally reasonably priced on grey.

Panamoz don't stock a lot of compacts, but are high price when they do. DR is guesswork whether they'll be cheaper, and HDEW don't stock compacts currently. There are places like simply electronics and valuebasket but I'm not sure I'd risk using them as never heard of them. Apparently Richmond Cameras on ebay get good feedback and are generally reasonably priced on grey.

Onestop digital is also good/trustworthy.

The 18-50 DL is definitely interesting as a travel compact and it is wide enough for my needs. Look forward to some detailed reviews.

The 18-50 DL is definitely interesting as a travel compact and it is wide enough for my needs. Look forward to some detailed reviews.
Does sound good I have to say being able to shoot that wide. I don't think 50mm would be long enough for me though, I found the 70mm of the Sony RX100 a bit limiting in my brief time with it. On saying that most of my travel pics are wide angle shots.

PMSL :ROFLMAO: Don't you fancy the x-pro 2? :naughty:

:D You know what Im like. I do mate, but I dont think it has enough to offer for double the price. I wont spend £1350 on an incremental update essentially, thats serious FF money, then theres more money for fast lenses. I think the launch RRP is overpriced.

:D You know what Im like. I do mate, but I dont think it has enough to offer for double the price. I wont spend £1350 on an incremental update essentially, thats serious FF money, then theres more money for fast lenses. I think the launch RRP is overpriced.
You're starting to sound like me :p

(I agree though (y))

You're starting to sound like me :p

(I agree though (y))

550 for a camera and good lens is bearable as it stops there, Itll be £1350 camera, then a 23, 35, 56, thatll be about £1650. £3k on a second little camera. I think not, my main system doesnt even cost that!

Back