three shires head - where and when -IMAGE ADDED

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to visit this bridge and waterfall but am unsure exactly where it is, i live in leek so know the area, I found this description:

Take the A537 Macclesfield to Buxton Road. About one-and-a-half miles past the Cat and Fiddle inn, turn right towards Congleton along the A54. After another mile and a half, park in the lay-by on the right hand side of the road.

From the lay-by, walk about 100 yards uphill. Now cross the road and enter a small field through the gap in the drystone wall behind a steel safety barrier. Cross the stile in the far left hand corner and then turn left to follow the wall downhill. You are now in the corner of a field where there are two gates. Stay in this field and turn right to continue downhill while keeping the fence on your left. Proceed through a gate and then take an immediate left to follow the grassy track downwards. Follow the track and wall downhill (this track can be very muddy, so please ensure that your footwear is waterproof). A fence now continues the line of the wall and the track follows the course of the River Dane. Soon after passing through another gate, you will arrive at Three Shires Head (grid reference SK009 685 on sheet 119 of the OS Landranger Map). Two pack-horse bridges are to be found here. Return to the lay-by by retracing your route.

anyone know how long from the layby it takes to walk there and how difficult a walk it is?

also what is the best time of day right now to be there?
any advice appreciated

EDIT -

Well thanks to Chris who pmed me I got great directions to the waterfall and it is really stunning, looking forward to a few trips down there in different conditions. This was my first effort,

C&C welcome, looks best on black

threeShiresHead by MrJoeBoy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure having never been there but... is this it?
Google Maps link
If this is it - (it was the only river I found on google in the area) then it looks like it might be quite a walk.

According to rspb site spring is best to capture the birds, but I'm guessing between spring and summer on a sunny (slightly cloudy perhaps) day :)

Perhaps an early morning arrival plus a snack/sandwich to keep you going?

Hope you find it - looks like a nice location.

I want to visit this bridge and waterfall but am unsure exactly where it is, i live in leek so know the area, I found this description:

anyone know how long from the layby it takes to walk there and how difficult a walk it is?

also what is the best time of day right now to be there?
any advice appreciated
hi joe
follow the instructions they will get you there it is downhill to three shires the downside it's uphill on the way back it's well worth a visit fast moving stream small waterfalls and a nice bridge.
another consideration for streams in your area is coombs valley a rspb reserve a stream runs through the reserve great for slow water shots overhanging trees etc see there website for how to get there hope this helps:)

cheers, got some great info through pm from chris, looking forward to a trek down there tonight

I had 2 rather nice pints of real ale at the ship in wincle on the way back too!

A very fine pub indeed !

Just down the river there's a couple of really good wiers ......

5835276549_d80ec3a03b_z.jpg

A very fine pub indeed !

Just down the river there's a couple of really good wiers ......

5835276549_d80ec3a03b_z.jpg

lovely, is that further down the river past the bridges?

we should meet up there one day and you can show me, in return i'll buy you a pint at the ship (y)

Back